Sunday, July 8, 2018

COMC Sundays: 1962 Topps Civil War News

Today's set is one that I've showcased a couple of times in the last year or two, because of that, I don't really have too much more to say about it without repeating myself. And anything that I haven't said, Bob surely would've covered during the two weeks that it took him to start, and subsequently finish. the set (seriously, does anyone complete vintage sets quicker than Bob?). So with that being said, this post might be a bit lacking in the substance department.

For whatever reason, I actually took the time to scan (that doesn't happen very often) these when I got them last year, so all the blurriness and/or graininess can be attributed to that. It seems weird to say that I really like a card which features bodies being incinerated, but this is one of my favorites from the set.



If the date on this card had been one day later, I would've been able to say that a fictional Civil War moment had occurred on my birthday... curse your hide, Topps :)

This card might be the best one, centering wise, that I own. I don't really care about such things, but it still seemed worth noting.



Most of the accounts featured in this set are complete bunkum, but this one's actually fairly close to a true event. Stonewall Jackson was indeed mistakenly shot by friendly fire, but he wasn't killed instantly as Topps would have you believe, no, he survived the initial incident -- although his left arm was so badly damaged that he had to have it amputated -- only to die eight days later from pneumonia.


I've sort of cooled on this set a little bit in the last year or so, well, "cooled" probably isn't the right word. I just haven't been pursuing it as much, that's all... but of course, I could say the exact same thing about quite a few sets as of late.

Looking ahead to next week: I'm gonna try to do four posts this week (something that I haven't done for quite a while), a few of which might be kind of long, so next Sunday's post will likely be another one-card special.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. I was disappointed when I learned these were fake. I don't understand why they would do that when they could have just as easily told the true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about the Mars Attacks set :)

      Delete
    2. Bummer to hear these were fake stories. Interesting reads though.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, you can't believe everything you read :)

      Delete
  2. I can tell you from actual experience (and I know I already have) that these made quite an impression on 9- and 10-year-olds at St Mary's School in 1962. Made an impression on the nuns there as well.

    Yours are certainly in nicer shape than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how awesome they would've been to a kid at that time.

      Delete