Thursday, July 26, 2018

The best of the rest: part 2

As promised, today's post will cover the rest of the basketball content from the now, almost month ago, card show.

Tony Battie may not have had the most successful career, but finding this 1997-98 Topps redemption was still pretty cool, as usually I only come across the expired redemption cards.

Scanning these together like this, almost makes them look like one card.

There is a high probability that I already own these, but Clearcut's are one of those inserts that I always feel compelled to buy when found in dime boxes.

While looking down at Jim's dime boxes, I spotted a card that was about as thick as seven normal cards, it turned out to be a 2012-13 Elite Series Glass Masters. It's made out of plastic, but it's heavy and see-through, like a piece of glass. I'm not terribly interested in owning cards of Amar'e (such a waste of talent), but I'll probably hang on to it for the novelty factor.

This is a really nice assortment, and I think that I actually need all of them too.

I have got to be close to completing this set, what with finding another half a dozen and all. Bobby Hurley looks like he's working out in his high school gym.

I think I have like 3 or 4 copies of the Shareef Exclusives card now, I really need to stop buying those, or at least start finding some folks to pawn 'em off on.

Fleer sure had a lot of inserts during the 90's!

The Gary Payton Planet Metal is the only card in this post that didn't cost either 10 or 25 cents, for it I had to shell out a $1, which was totally worth it by the way. I was hoping that the semi-holographic background would scan well, it didn't.

I almost never find SLU cards, so coming across Spud was a nice surprise. Jeremy Lamb is from the 2012-13 Taco Bell set, making him only second one of those that I've ever seen, not that I've really been looking for them though.

I remember these Behind The Glass inserts being kind of a big deal when they came out back in '93, now, like most of the cards in this post, they're just dime box fodder.

One thing that I don't miss about 90's inserts, is the sets that were dedicated to one specific person, I mean I guess they still do it now, but it isn't as prevalent as it once was. That being said, I still had to grab these Shaq Talk's, and they are actually the first two that I've ever owned. Hardwood Leaders is another insert set that I can't seem to stop buying, even though I finished it sometime in the late 90's.

Believe it or not, this Robert Parish Fleer Super Star is my favorite card in this post, if only because I really miss the days of being able to get an insert of someone like Robert Parish.

One of these days I'm going to have to make some sort of checklist for all of my 90's basketball inserts. Right now, I have them housed in five binders and an almost full shoebox (of the two row variety), the shoebox is reserved for the "good" stuff. Everything is sorted by year and set, but without a list, it doesn't do too much good as I very rarely remember what I do and don't have.

Technically speaking, I still have one more group of cards from the show that I haven't gotten too, but I was going to wait and see if I go to this weekend's show or not, before posting about them. I realize that that might not make too much sense, but I promise it will when I get around to talking about said group of cards.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

20 comments:

  1. Mid-90s basketball inserts were amazing. I need to dig mine out and see what I still have. I loved that Penny with the electric looking court. The Young Lions were cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And after they've been dug out, maybe you could show some of them on your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Some really great stuff here. I really like the Clear Cut Winners. I think I only have two of them, I need to get more. I don't think I have added any since 1997.

    You should use the Trading Card Database. You can track things in multiple ways, and if you have a smart phone you can check it at the show...you also have the option of printing out your lists but I never have as I have everything hand written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The David Robinson was a duplicate, it's yours if you need it.

      Even though I probably won't be able to figure out how to use it, I went ahead registered tonight.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check my list, thanks! I'll be glad to walk you through whatever you may need...but I'm sure you'll get it easily.

      Delete
    3. I appreciate the offer, I certainly won't hesitate to ask if I get stuck on something.

      Delete
  3. I could use one of those shareefs for my set chase. These are the basketball cards I like

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me to care any less about current basketball, I'd have to be dead.

    However, I loved it during this era and love the cards. Thank you for that stroll down memory lane!

    Also, your envelope arrived...I'll open (on video) and post this weekend hopefully. It'll be on beansballcardblog.com

    -kin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to be of the same opinion.

      Thanks for letting me know, and maybe I can finally remember to add your YouTube channel to my favorites :)

      Delete
  5. Loved those Clearcut inserts back in the day. Beautiful cards. And that Webb SLU card is magnificent too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could find more of the SLU cards.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff! I really loved this era of basketball cards too. I got excited for a second when I saw that Battie redemption. I've been looking for the Serge Zwikker from that set and I thought after seeing the design that maybe you'd found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta be honest with you, even though I was actively collecting, and watching the NBA, at the time... this is the first I'm hearing of Serge Zwikker. Google here I come!

      Delete
  7. It's great to see all these old basketball inserts. I'd forgotten all about many of these. The Spud SLU card is a nice find, and the Amare is awesome. I'll have to see who else is in that Glass Master set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked, but I would imagine that there's some more desirable players than A'mare on that checklist.

      Delete
  8. all very colorful. wish i enjoyed the sport but my dislike is probably keeping millions of pesos in my pocket! (what is that - like $100?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't ask me to try and figure out the peso to dollar conversion rate :)

      Delete