Friday, January 4, 2019

A rainbow of (Kin)dness


As mentioned in the previous post, I was fortunate enough to receive a number of very generous packages during the month of December, and I am very overdue in giving public thanks. Now that I'm caught up with a few things, blog and life related, I can now start getting everything shown.

Some of these packages that will be shown over the next couple of posts will probably be out of order, as far as when they were received, but I scanned everything in a certain order, so that's the order in which they will be shown -- I say "certain order", but that really just translates to "completely random", I mention this because I don't want anyone to think I'm doing a worst to best, or vice-versa, I could never do such a thing when it comes to items that multiple people took the time (and money) to send to me.

Okay, so first up is, Kin, of many things fame! Seriously though, you can find Kin all over the place, on Twitter, on YouTube, and of course, there's always Bean's Ballcard Blog.

You often hear people on the blogs, and on Twitter, mention that this person, and that person, are great ambassadors for the card collecting community, or "The Hobby". Well, in my mind, there are few people who are more influential in this community than Kin. He rarely gets the accolades for all that he does, and has done, which is a real shame, because he has done an awful lot -- and being the humble person that he is, he isn't one to go around telling people of all the things he's done, heck, he won't even admit to being as important as he is on the rare occasion that someone does acknowledge him (I know, I've tried).

I won't go into everything that I've seen him do, or heard other people mention him doing, but I will say that one of the most important things that he does, is to tweet (and retweet) out links to people's blog posts. Now I realize that this might not seem like a big deal to some, but trust me, it is! Kin's got incredible pull, so when he tweets out a link to a post, he puts eyes on that post, I've experienced this many times, so I know what I'm talking about here. And for any blogger who is not on Twitter that might be wondering how this applies to them, well, it doesn't matter if you're on Twitter or not, if you have a blog, Kin is probably tweeting out links to your posts and you don't even know it... and those tweets are most certainly increasing the number of views on those posts!

Now that I've paid proper respects to the house of Kin, let's take a look at what he sent me :)

Kin sent most of these Topps parallels not knowing whether I would like them or not, even mentioning that he hoped I could find good homes for any of the one's that I didn't want. A few of them I don't about yet, but I can tell you (and Kin) that I absolutely love the Todd Helton, he has two cards in the 2014 set, but I think this one would technically be his sunset card. I have two copies of this Red Foil now, and if I ever come across any more cheap copies, I'll probably get those too!

As far as the cards at the top of the page go, that Zimmerman is now my first card of him, and the Braun is like the second or third of his that I now own, not a fan of his, but he is a name, so he was added to a binder. While looking at the Braun card, I couldn't help but wonder if he would ever be able to play anywhere other than Milwaukee? I've made it no secret that I don't follow a lot of modern sports anymore, for the most part I just read Rotoworld in the morning to see who did what the day before. It seems like his numbers are still pretty good, but I haven't heard anything about where he currently stands with baseball fans in general, is he still loathed? Would fans in another city accept him, especially if they thought he could help their team win? Anyone?

I know I've said it on multiple occasions, but I just can't seem to get over how different, and how awesome, these cognac's look when scanned -- as for Tony Sipp, I had never heard of him before, but according to the back of this card, he was born 360 days after me... interesting?

Will you look at that? My first 2013 Topps blue sparkle, or as COMC refers to it, my first 2013 Topps Wrapper Redemption Blue Slate. I've seen these on the blogs before, but have never seen one in person, and let me tell you, no matter what you call them, they are pretty! Having never opened any 2013 Topps, I don't really know what the wrapper redemption thing is all about, but at this point I don't really care either, I just know that it looks great amongst the couple of pages of Indians cards that I have in my newly created team binders.

A couple of months ago, Kin was selling a bunch of stuff on Twitter, I saw this 2016 Donruss Elite green parallel amongst said stuff, and knew that I had to have it (just look at those contrasting colors!). I asked kin if he would be interested in trading it if no one else ended up buying it, he responded by saying that I could have it, and a trade wouldn't be necessary! When I first the picture of this card, I thought that part of it was acetate, but it isn't, you can really tell that from the scan. I'm a big fan of acetate, but this was one instance where I was kind of glad to learn that it was just solid piece of cardboard, a very shiny piece of cardboard.

Thank you again for the cards, Kin! And thank you again for all that you do for everyone else, especially when it comes to your fellow bloggers.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Nice cards from Kin! Love those red foil parallels, especially the Nationals and the Helton. I wouldn't recognize Tony Sipp on the street but I've heard of him. Solid LOOGY. Also there's a bad pun in there about having a Sipp of cognac (wah-wah)

    As for Braun, he was rumored to be going to the Dodgers a year or two ago (for Yasiel Puig i think) but I'm not sure why that didn't happen. As far as I know, Brewers fans have resigned themselves to being stuck with him and he's still good enough to keep around - even though he's not what he was for some strange reason (hmmm...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't be keeping the Jeff Kobernus, so if that fits in with your matching colors collection, I can always set it aside for you? And ugh, I always miss the obvious jokes/puns, I mean "Sipp" and "cognac", how did I not see that?

      I was sort of under the impression that Milwaukee fans were on board with Braun, kind of a he's our guy, and our guy alone kind of thing.

      Delete
    2. Sure, you can set Kobernus aside for me. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cards. Have to agree Kin is a huge part of the hobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He most certainly is, it sure would be nice to see him start getting more credit for all that he does though.

      Delete
  3. Well said. Kin is a great dude and feels like he's one of the pulses of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man... that's really cool of Kin to share other peoples' posts. Talk about a selfless act.

    P.S. Those red parallels look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does so much for other people, and does it in a such a way that almost no one realizes that he's even doing it for them.

      Delete
  5. I know I asked you on Twitter about the scanner, but dang it makes those images pop. Also, now that I think about it, your black background probably helps too. When I was using my other blog, I had the black background and thinking back, yeah, things looked a lot better. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the background color helping with the pop, especially with the red foil's.

      Delete
  6. My refractor scans never show off like this. I've scanned them horizontally, vertically, crooked etc at 200, 300 etc. I think this is the year for a new scanner and laptop. Kin is a great fellow and deserves recognition. He invests a lot of time into the hobby outside of his own collecting pursuits. His future bride should get a little credit here too, sharing him with us as she does. She appears to be quite supportive of his endeavors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my scans are done on 200, but's that's only because that's what it was set to when I got it, I don't know if the other settings would do any better or worse, if I did, I might be able scan vintage without it coming out all pixelated (that's why I always go the photo route on vintage).

      I'm sure that the soon to be Mrs. Kinsley learned a long time ago that she would have to share him with a bunch of other people, the question is though, did she realize just how many people that would be?

      Delete