Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Laughing all the way to the bank

As many of you undoubtedly know by now, the non-card collecting portion of society absolutely lost it's collective mind a couple of months ago when the news started spreading that the Menendez brothers had been discovered sitting in the background of Mark Jackson's 1990-91 Hoops card.

To say that things were absolutely bonkers for a couple of weeks during late November/early December would be a massive understatement, as the masses started paying obscene amounts of money to acquire a copy of that particular card, a card that any collector knows, was produced by the millions.

Unable to resist this sudden interest in a decades old piece of "junk wax", collector's everywhere started scrounging through long ignored boxes in search of this new, albeit temporary, holy grail. Many would be found, and subsequently many would be sold on eBay, almost all of which were done so for exorbitant sums.

Normally I'm not one to notice trends, or to pay any attention to what ever the latest viral thing is, but in this instance, I did! Of course you'd have to be living under one of those proverbial rocks not to have heard about it at the time, as it truly was everywhere.

Knowing that this surge in prices couldn't last, I too started searching through boxes of long ignored cardboard, my search would yield six copies -- one from my set (I could replace after the interest died down), two from misc. boxes, and three from a 3200ct box that was slated for the thrift store.

I don't know exactly when the peak of the public's interest was, but I suspect that I was couple of days late when I listed my newly found six copies, that being said, all six sold the day they were listed, and after fees and shipping, each card ended up fetching roughly $20!

This really couldn't have happened at a better time for me personally, as I had almost no play money to spend in December (or January), so it truly was an unexpected windfall.

It also just so happened that had I just started watching an auction (on eBay of course) for an item that doesn't come up very often, an item that I very much wanted, and wasn't going to be able to bid on, but now I had money... lots of money!

Try as I might, I could not get a photo without the phone's reflection across the case :(
With my new found riches, the other bidders on this auction did not stand a chance (even though it ended up selling for much less than I expected), so behold, the latest edition to my Golden Age Historic Signatures collection!

It's been like a month now (or maybe a little more), and I still can't believe that this Jerry Lewis auto was paid for with 3 1/2 1990-91 Hoops Mark Jackson's, in pre-Menendez discovery terms, I got this for 35 cents (or less), see... crazy!

I'm assuming (and hoping) that everyone knows who Jerry Lewis is, and how big of a star he once was, because of this assumption, and the fact that this post ran longer than expected (what else is new), I'm skipping the addition of any biographical info. If somehow you don't know who he is/was, there's always the Google.

When the 2013 Golden Age set was released, this autograph could only be had via redemption, but thankfully he honored his commitment to Panini by signing quite a few cards before his passing last year. It's interesting too that the card came from Panini in this fancy case, it's first Golden Age redemption that I've seen come in such a holder.

I know that a few of my fellow bloggers were able to take it advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity, I sure hope that a few of the non-blogging folks who happen to be reading this, were able to as well.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

36 comments:

  1. Thats a killer card you got there. No puns intended on how you got it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on adding this great auto to your collection (and taking advantage of the Menendez craze.) I did check my collection at the time, but only found a Mark Jackson single from 1989-90 Hoops. No murderers in the background on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "No murderers in the background on that one"... at least none that anybody has noticed yet!

      Delete
  3. That's a great autograph of the Nutty Professor! I'm impressed with how legible it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no initials or indecipherable squiggly lines.

      Delete
  4. Great autograph! They really did a good job with those and the sports ones like the Yeager you got.

    I thought I had some extra hoops cards, but didn't find any MJ's in them. I hope I already have one for my set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my money, the Golden Age autographs are the best thing that Panini has ever done.

      Delete
  5. That's an awesome acquisition. How often can you snag an autograph of a King? King of Comedy but, none the less. That'd look sharp next to a Dean Martin autograph. There's a base hockey card from 1994/95 that sells for decent money but, who collects hockey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would look great next to a Dino, but that might be a bit out of my price range. And plenty of bloggers collect hockey, I think I might have to make a list for you :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks to your response, I now have Hall and Oates songs playing in my head.

      Delete
  6. I've really enjoyed reading the posts this Mark Jackson card has created. Collectors "swapping" junk wax for legitimate rock solid hits makes for some fun reading! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed them as well, hopefully there's still more to come :)

      Delete
  7. I love how so many cashed in on a common card to get something they really wanted. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty great, it's just too bad that it couldn't happen more often.

      Delete
  8. I love that you were able to get something you really wanted for a handful of cards you didn't want. But hey, wasn't that how it worked for a lot of us 25-30 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memory must be better than mine, 25 years is stretching it, 30 is nearly non-existent :(

      Delete
    2. I don't remember any details, but I know that I was trading with kids in school.

      Delete
  9. I missed the hoopla about this at the time but have since read about it. I'm glad that you could capitalize on it and at such an opportunte time. Bravo! The Lewis card is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully you'll be able to get in on the next craze :)

      Delete
  10. This is the only time I wish I collected basketball cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is only time that I regret donating so many cards, because I've probably had, and given away, at least two dozen copies of this card over the years.

      Delete
  11. you done good. you done real good. I wonder how folks who paid for this card will feel once they realize it's worth a nickel, if that. You are getting so close to finishing this set. Nice pickup with the Nutty Professor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep wondering that myself. I think that they're going to be mighty disappointed if they go and try to sell that card in a couple of years. And I don't know about being close to completing the set, but at least I'm past the halfway mark.

      Delete
    2. i may work for an accounting firm (for a few more days) but they dont pay me for my math skills! At my age, over halfway is much closer to done than I'd like to believe.

      Delete
  12. Wow, a Jerry Lewis autograph! Way cool. I might actually have one of those Jacksons in the crates of old non-baseball cards I collected as a kid. Maybe one day I'll actually go through them and look, if for no other reason than to quell my curious mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely be going through those crates, and then write a series of posts about what you find :)

      Delete
  13. After seeing this post an a few others... I truly regret being lazy and not digging through boxes to see if I had this card sitting somewhere. I probably should still go and do it, since it still sells for around $5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lots are stilling fairly well, so if you ever come across a few in a dimebox, they'd probably be worth picking up, at least for the time being.

      Delete
  14. That’s a great exchange in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine anyone thinking that it wasn't!

      Delete