Sunday, January 27, 2019

Blog bat-around/thinking exercise: NBA edition

The previous installment of this three-part series didn't do so well with readers, a smart person might take that as a sign and just forget about doing the planned third edition, but I never graduated high school so...

I think everybody knows what's what by now, but just in case you don't, these bat-around posts are based on the first player that comes to mind when thinking of a particular team, simple enough, yes?

Atlanta Hawks - Dominique Wilkins: Depending on what era you grew up in, the Hawks player that comes to mind first could vary quite a bit, but if you're anywhere near my age, it's most certainly going to be The Human Highlight Film.

Boston Celtics - Bill Russell: For anyone whoever gets caught up in these incessant GOAT discussions regarding Jordan v. LeBron, I'm going to do you a little favor, free of charge, and tell you that that conversation is seriously flawed - because Bill Russell is the greatest player of all time! Oh, and one other thing, if defense was still allowed in the NBA, Mr. Russell could easily play in today's game, and would be just as successful... if not more so.

Brooklyn Nets - Brooke Lopez: I thought of Jason Kidd first, but I'm pretty sure he was retired when the Nets moved to Brooklyn, so I guess it's Brooke by default.

Charlotte Hornets - Larry Johnson: I know that technically speaking, this current Hornets franchise isn't the original, but LJ was my favorite player when I was young, so if someone says Charlotte Hornets, I think of Larry... even if it isn't the same franchise.

Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan/Scottie Pippen: Here's a hot take for ya, without Pippen, Jordan never wins a single title!

Cleveland Cavaliers - Mark Price: Mark was the Bob Cousy/Steve Nash of my childhood.

Dallas Mavericks - Derek Harper: Sign #3,014 that you're old, you think of anyone other than Dirk Nowitzki when the Mavericks are brought up.

Denver Nuggets - Antonio McDyess: He was so much fun to watch before the knee injury.

Detroit Pistons - Bill Laimbeer: Very few, if any, players could stir sh*t up like Bill could.

Golden State Warriors - Chris Mullin: The Warriors were absolutely loaded with talent in the early 90's, and were probably only one dominant big away from being a serious contender.

Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon: There will never be a better Rocket than The Dream!

Indiana Pacers - Reggie Miller: Another obvious choice.

Los Angeles Clippers - Darius Miles/Lamar Odom: When thinking of the Clippers, I think late 90's... I think greatest of the Nike commercial ever... and I think of these two knuckleheads dancing in said commercial.

Los Angeles Lakers - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: The second best player in NBA history (my opinion, of course).

Memphis Grizzlies - Pau Gasol: I would imagine that most people would think of one of the Gasol brothers, Pau was the first one to give the team a taste of success, so he get's the nod.

Miami Heat - Rony Seikaly: The original Mr. Heat! Zo eventually came along and made everyone forget how consistently good Rony was in his prime, but if you're old enough, you remember.

Milwaukee Bucks - Ray Allen: Jesus Shuttlesworth!!!!!!!

Minnesota Timberwolves - Pooh Richardson: Garnett would probably be the obvious choice here, but thanks to my early collecting days, I always associate the Twolves with Pooh... in more ways than one :)

New Orleans Pelicans - Anthony Davis: He's literally the only Pelican I know of, and from what I keep reading, it sounds like it's only a matter of time before he leaves - after all, LeBron needs other superstars around him to win championships. Also, I know it's been a few years now, but the Pelicans is still dumb name for a team.

New York Knicks - Larry Johnson: I already told you, I was big LJ fan!

Oklahoma City Thunder - Kevin Durant: I gotta be honest, because of how the Sonics were stolen from Seattle, I really haven't paid much attention to the Thunder since everything went down.

Orlando Magic - Shaquille O'Neal: He should've never left!

Philadelphia 76ers - Julius Erving: One of my first "vintage" basketball cards was a 1981-82 Topps Dr. J (#30), so even though I never saw him play live, I always think of him on that card, hands on hips, anytime the Sixers are mentioned.

Phoenix Suns - Dan Majerle: Thunder Dan was another one of my favorite players growing up, were I to make a list, he'd most certainly be in the top five.

Portland Trail Blazers - Bill Walton: No Walton, no lone championship!

Sacramento Kings - Kenny Smith: A 1989-90 Fleer inspired pick.

San Antonio Spurs - Tim Duncan: I grew up with David Robinson, but Timmy was just such an all-around great player that it's hard not to think of him first.

Toronto Raptors - Damon Stoudamire: The first relevant Raptor!

Utah Jazz - Karl Malone/John Stockton: You can't have one without the other, anyone that says otherwise is just lying. Growing up as a Blazers fan in Portland, I could not openly route for the Jazz under any circumstances, but I did do so in secret for many years... I was always impressed with Jerry Sloan's old school style of coaching as well.

Washington Wizards - Chris Webber: I know that it's been a couple of decades now, but the decision to ditch the Bullets team name in favor of the Wizards still sucks.

So I guess that's a wrap on my bat-around trilogy, they certainly were fun to put together, but if I'm being honest, I sure am glad that I don't have to do anymore for the time being :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Bill Laimbeer played a Sleestak on the tv show "Land Of The Lost". You're not going to do one for hockey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I seem some sort of weird mental connection going on, because not more than three days ago I was on Amazon looking to see if either of the Land of the Lost series' were on DVD... and this was after having not thought of either series for at least a decade! Also, I had no idea that Bill had ever done any film/television work.

      No hockey bat-around for me, I probably wouldn't even be able to come up with a single name for like half the league. Besides, that kind of post sounds like be much more appropriate for a blog about cards being "cross checked" :)

      Delete
    2. Touche my friend. Well played. You did google Laimbeer didn't you? I couldn't tell much about anyone in the NBA but, I knew about Bill.

      Delete
    3. IMDB actually, but in this instance it was same as using the Google.

      Delete
  2. Jason Kidd's last year in the league was the first year the Nets were in Brooklyn. He played for the Knicks, retired after the season and became Nets coach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just traded for an 89-90 Fleer Kenny Smith on TCDB. Definitely a cool card. Had to watch that commercial because I didn't remember it; the commercial I thought of with LAC was the State Farm ad "No Good Clippers!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's necessarily a cool card or not, it's just one of those one's that's stuck in my head for no apparent reason.

      It's been twenty years, and I still love that Nike commercial just as much as I did when it first aired. It's too bad that both the uploads on YouTube are of inferior quality, I know I have a clean copy on recorded tape somewhere, but I'd have no idea how to get it to YouTube. Now I'll have to go watch that State Farm commercial, because I know that I've never seen it before.

      Delete
    2. I like the Kenny Smith card because of the old-school Kings jersey and matching powder blue border. So I guess I'd say the same about all the Kings cards in '89-90 Fleer.

      Here's the State Farm commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5j2CXBtTA

      Delete
    3. Those were the best Kings jersey's! And thanks for the link :)

      Delete
  4. Oh man. I remember buying up 95/96 products and getting pumped every time I pulled a Stackhouse or a Stoudamire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I was the complete opposite, after about '93 I was always disappointed when I pulled a rookie card - if I bought any current products I probably still feel the same.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. For some strange reason I am not surprised in the least by that statement :)

      Delete