Thursday, January 24, 2019

Selling some junk to buy even more junk

A week or two ago I showed off the Jerry Lewis Golden Age auto that I got thanks to the selling of some Mark Jackson/Menendez cards back in December while they were still red hot.

I think that most folks would agree that using the money from a couple of cards that are often referred to as "junk wax" to buy a Jerry Lewis autograph was a solid purchase/investment (I'm using that term very loosely), but what would those same folks think about using the money from less than one of those pieces of "junk wax" to buy 55 more pieces of junk wax"?

Well, I really don't know what those people would think, and honestly, I don't really care - because either way, I am now the proud owner of 55 more 1990-91 Fleer Shawn Kemp rookies! I should probably note that I had every intention of laying these out all nice like, but I sort of lost my patience about halfway through the process.

I don't have much to say about these today, but I did recently find out that there is more than one other person out there who is attempting to hoard this particular card as well, so that's kind of interesting, right? Now if I could just find out who those other people are and convince 'em to stop with their hoarding ways...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. Cue the theme to Sanford and Son. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you mention that, because I actually started, and never finished, a post that was Sanford and Son related.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I don't know. I started it, got stuck on a certain section, couldn't figure out to get unstuck, and then started to wonder if it would even be worth trying to finish - not that this is uncommon mind you, I do it about once every two weeks or so.

      Delete
  2. I'm all for it. Do everything you can to corner the market. I think his is a fun goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the cards are from 1990, it certainly wouldn't be an easy market to corner.

      Delete
  3. Now if we could only find some one infamous in the background of those Kemp cards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Kemp rookie card. How many do you own now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably around 150, but I only just started trying to acquire them en masse a few months ago.

      Delete
  5. I'm not one to criticize what another one collects, but is this "hoarding one card" a new collecting theme? Not sure I understand, but hey...more power to ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing single page collections for certain cards couple years back. It's a rare chase though. I've only completed four so far, & just started a fifth.

      Delete
    2. Colbey: I buy a lot of dumb stuff, so for future reference, don't be afraid to critique my purchases. I think the hoarding of particular cards has been around for awhile - I'm doing it with a few cards now, and I don't understand it either :)

      Delete
    3. Twitch: I too have decided to do a few single pages of the same card, I just hope I can stop buying them once I fill a page.

      Delete
  6. The count is up around 150, so it's on to 200 :)

    ReplyDelete