Sunday, January 6, 2019

Expected three, got four!

I don't know if Chris, The Collector, feels the same way or not, but it seems like we have been exchanging cards for years now. I'm sure that if I took the time to go back and look, I would find that we've only been doing so for maybe a year, or a little more, but it sure does feel like it's been a lot longer than that.

The most recent mailing between us came from Chris in the form of a PWE back in December, and if there's one thing that I've learned about Chris over the last year (or more), it's that his PWE's always pack a punch, and this most recent envelope was certainly no exception!

Being a big fan of any 90's Prism cards, I was all over this John Elway after Chris made it available to any interested party. I actually thought I already had this one, but didn't mind getting another. Turns out that I had the Taraus Technologies version of this card, so the Prism was new to me -- I keep forgetting that were two different versions of the five-card Elway insert set from that year's Edge.

If you were collecting basketball cards in the early 90's, you undoubtedly remember how big of a deal the first couple of Beam Team insert sets were, well, at least the first two year's worth, they kind of dropped off in quality after that. I've seen people arguing on message boards about which set was better, 1992-93 or 1993-94, it seems a little silly to me for someone to get all riled up over such a trivial thing, but they do. For the record, I like both year's BT sets equally, while certainly different in appearance, I just love them both so much that it would be impossible for me to choose which is "better".

I was surprised to find that I didn't already have this '93-94 Penny, and it looks like I only need a couple more now to complete the set, although one of those is MJ, so I might not be finishing it anytime soon.

Here's another card that Chris made available to whoever on his blog, if memory serves, this Prizm insert came out of a repack. I wanted this card for two reasons, a) It's a pretty die-cut, and b) I actually know who Cameron Wake is, and have seen him play, which is something that's becoming rarer and rarer for me when it comes to players on modern cards. Did you know that Cameron is #2 on the list of all-time sacks by an undrafted free agent? I certainly didn't! He's 39.5 sacks behind John Randle, and at age 36 I don't think he'll be able to take that top spot, but being #2 in that category is still pretty darn impressive.

Oh, and sorry about the partial fingerprint on the card, I didn't notice it until after it was scanned. The question is, who's was it? Mine? Chris'? A Fairfield employee? Since it has since been removed, this will be one mystery that is going to have to remain unsolved!

I knew that the first three cards in this post would be coming, but Chris really surprised me with this 2018 Classics orange Charlie Joiner (which I should have went the photo route with btw). This is only my second orange from the set, and was my first Charlie Joiner parallel. I actually bid on a blue one not too long after the set came out, but didn't end up winning it, little did I know that just a couple of months later I would be the recipient of this awesome consolation prize -- which in all honesty, is much than the blue that I didn't win, if only because someone thought enough of me to send it my way :)

Thanks a bunch for the cards, Chris! At the rate we're going, I can't imagine that it'll be too long before a another package shows up in your mailbox with my name on it.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

8 comments:

  1. Classics football is an awesome design! Panini missed the boat on baseball with this one. I know a few are found in Chronicles but the price tag is not worth most of the other designs. I would've forked over some change for a Classics box or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more! I think that this was one of those instances where not having a MLB license really hurt Panini, as it is, the baseball Classics just ended up looking like another Donruss-esque product.

      Delete
  2. I loved the old NBA beam team cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were great, it's unfortunate that we'll never see anything like them again either.

      Delete
  3. Oh man... I love the 92/93 and 93/94 Stadium Club Beam Teams! That Penny is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very generous of Chris to ask me if I wanted it.

      Delete
  4. I'm always happy to send some cards your way. It does feel like we've been at this for years, though it's only been a year or two at most. I'm already making mental notes of which '90s inserts to send you next ;)

    The Bean Team Penny is a great card. If you hadn't asked for it I would have been happy to keep it. The Wake was pulled from a repack box, but it was a box of 8-10 sealed packs so the fingerprint must have been one of ours. Those chromey card surfaces tend to hold every single smudge and streak. I didn't know Wake was undrafted, that is an interesting bit of trivia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll take the blame for the fingerprint then :(

      Delete