Thursday, June 6, 2019

COMC Shuffle #13

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1970 Topps #380 (Error)
No need to adjust your eyeballs, as this card is as off as it looks. When it comes to errors, I usually am only interested in blank backs, but I made an exception for this one. Tony showed up in a batch of Challenges that I was doing, and I immediately fell in like with him (do people still say that?). I added the card to my watch list, and then spent the next month checking in on it every single day, just impatiently waiting for it to be added to the site. Such efforts rarely pay off for me, but in this instance it did, as I logged in one morning to find that it had been added to the site during the previous night -- and not only had it not already been bought, but the price attached was considerably lower than I had expected it to be. When I saw that it was there, and that it was only $0.95, well, as you can probably imagine (especially after that build up), I could not hit that buy it now button fast enough!

2015 Topps High Tek Pattern 1 Grass/Waves Confetti Diffractor #18
I haven't been pursuing it as much as I was last year, but I have the want to fill up a page of these Tim Brown's. I'm no matholigist, but I believe that once the goal is completed I would then own roughly 10% of the to /99 print run. Without looking, I think I'm sitting at seven right now (4 from COMC, 2 from a card show, and 1 from eBay).

2014 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Prizms #12
I got a mention from Trevor a few weeks ago in connection with this card, and now that's it come up in the Shuffle, the least I could do is reciprocate the shoutout :)

Also, I have no idea why that middle card scanned so poorly, but it don't look like that in person.

1952 Bowman #72
This was just one of those "it's too cheap not to get" kind of purchases. It doesn't really fit into any particular collection right now, but I'm hoping that inspiration will strike at some point, and I'll find a use for it.

2009-10 Upper Deck 3D Stars #3D-AR
I don't what the deal is with this set (and I don't really care), but some of the cards have just one player, while other's, like this LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy, have two. LaMarcus is who you see when the card is at rest, which I'm assuming is just because his last name comes first alphabetically, as Brandon was a much bigger name at the time.

1998-99 Topps Stadium Club Triumvirate - Luminous #T11c
One of my favorite players of all-time, on a card from one of my favorite insert sets of all-time... I believe that's called a "win-win"!

2012 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #JO
Fun fact: John went to the same high school (different years though) as Otis Redding and Little Richard. Fun fact #2: Otis Redding and Little Richard went to the same high school!?!?

1968 Topps Game #15 blank back
Here's a bit of a rarity. Not only is this the first blank backed Topps Game that I've ever seen, but it also appears to be the only one that COMC has ever had. For the longest time I was buying blank back lots of say, 1975 Topps baseball, with the goal of trying to get as many from specific sets as I could, but also still picking up the occasional outlier like this. Like everything else card related, my focus has shifted quite a bit, now when it comes to blank backs I'm primarily interested in trying to get just one example from as many sets as I can.

1954 Topps #23
I had never heard of Luke Easter until I read an article about him last year (which I of course can no longer find). He seemed like a really interesting person, and was probably one of the great "what could've been if it hadn't been for injuries" guys. Because of these things, I decided to try and get a few (or all) of his cards. I got this one during last year's Spring Sale, and haven't gotten any more since. I have found that other than his '54 Topps, COMC is not a good place to get his cards, and I just never think to look on eBay, hence the owning of only one card.

2014 Panini Prizm Orange Prizms #105
It looks like Dan wasn't too impressed with today's post. I guess I'll just have to try harder next week then!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

15 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting Tony Perez misprint! Lots of great vintage in this post, the '52 Bowman set and '54 Topps set don't get enough love on the blogs IMO. And the Shareef Stadium club insert is a nice one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want '52 Bowman love, you've got to join the Twitter... I see that set come across my timeline on a fairly regular basis.

      Delete
  2. LaVern Earl Torgeson also played for the Redskins. https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Person.cfm/pid/13153/Lavern-Torgeson So if you collect two way players or something....
    Or you could put him and Bob Shirley together for LaVern & Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. That's what happens when you let a computer choose your content :)

      Delete
  4. Odom sure has one heck of a signature. You can actually make out every letter in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Blue Moon Odom auto, and that Tony Perez misprint is just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it bonkers! Now if I could just find a few more like it, I might think about starting a new collection.

      Delete
  6. sharp signature on the Odom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Perez! I've got a theoretical minicollection going dubbed The Bender Binder that I intend to fill with crazy printing errors along those lines (The intended effect is to make the viewer feel as though they are high/drunk as they flip through the binder.) But so far I haven't even filled a single page. So it's slow going.

    "One of my favorite players on a card from one of my all-time favorite insert sets... I believe that's called a 'win-win'!" -- I call cards like these a "double bullseye". It hasn't really caught on yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun idea for a binder! I think I've only seen one other card like this before, so I can see how this project would be slow to complete.

      Give it time.

      Delete