Thursday, June 13, 2019

COMC Shuffle #14

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Green Prizms #186 (x3)
I mentioned a few posts back that I've been reorganizing, and have completely changed the way that I sort and store cards. While doing this I've come across a few surprises, one of which is finding out how many cards I have of certain player's, LaMarcus being one of those, granted my "collection" of his consists mostly of Prizm parallels, but still, I didn't realize that I had so many of them/him.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Prizms #251
I generally don't care too much for the Prizm Prizm's, or as they're referred to now, Silver Prizm's -- and sometimes just plain old, Silver's. Up until a few years ago, they were the most common parallel, and yet someone, somewhere, decided that these were going to be the most expensive, and desired, Prizm parallel?!?! I just don't get it, but of course I love colors though, so that might have a little something to do with it. All that being said, I love the look of the black and white photos that were used in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 sets. In my opinion they make for the best looking base cards, B&W on a grey background just pops, and they also look really good on the Silver's, plus if you turn them just right, you'll get a bit of rainbow, which is seen much better on the non-color photo cards.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red Prizms #205
There's my dude! One of these days I'm gonna have to do a whole post on LJ, go back and talk about when and why my fandom began, you know, that sort of thing.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Yellow and Red Mosaic Prizms #168
One of my all-time favorite Blazers! As a kid, I was all about Uncle Cliffy and Crash Kersey, I met Jerome twice, but never got a chance to meet Cliff... maybe someday.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Yellow and Red Mosaic Prizms #153
It sounds silly given how talented he was, but Hakeem is one of those guys who I've come to appreciate a lot more in recent years than I ever I did while he was playing.

2013 Panini Father's Day #38
After completing my Chris Kreider Progressions rainbow, I decided to take it even further and get the base card, and the Cracked Ice card. I'm only an autograph card - which may or may not even exist - away from completing a true rainbow. I haven't really gone out of my way to try and do this by the way, it's just been a small side project that would be cool to complete, but I'd also be fine with it if I didn't ever get the auto, completing the Progressions was the only thing that really mattered to me.

1971-72 Topps #144 (blank back)

I bought this card during last year's Black Friday sale, then apparently forgot about it within minutes, which caused a bit of a confusion when the shipment arrived a few weeks later. While going through the box to see if everything was there, I spotted a very familiar looking card, and couldn't figure out why I had bought it. I mean I was about 99.9% sure that I already had this checklist, but just in case, I went and found the set binder, started flipping through the pages, couldn't find it, so I flipped it over to see the card number, and guess what? THERE WAS NO CARD NUMBER!!!!! I felt like such a f*cking idiot (even more so than usual)! I wasted like fifteen minutes trying to find the binder, which of course could've been avoided had I just flipped the card over to begin with. And for the record, I do have the regular checklist, and after seeing that this was a blank back, the memory of it's purchase did come back to me.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red Prizms #230
Remember how I was just saying how much I like the Prizm B&W photos on the grey and silver backgrounds, yeah well, I really like 'em on red too. I also don't hate them...

2014-15 Panini Prizm Gold Prizms #205
... on gold either! And Bill is numbered to /10 by the way, so that's kind of cool.

1972 Topps #511
And finally, one for the "Telstar 4" collection.

With all of the Prizm parallels that were gotten last year (which is something that I didn't realize until I started scanning/photographing everything), I have been half-expecting the randomizer (shuffle button) to fill up one of these ten-card posts with nothing but Prizm. With seven of the ten spots being occupied by Prizm, it almost did so this week, probably much to the chagrin of everybody but me!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Those prizm cards of Robinson and Hakeem are great and all the prizms are nice. Wish they had colored the retired greats as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the retired guys were in color, but a couple of random player's did get the B&W treatment, which as mentioned, I do like, but I've been awfully curious to know how the black and white guys were chosen?

      Delete
  2. The Frazier Card is pretty sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be for someone who usually isn't too interested in shiny stuff to think so!

      Delete
  3. Debusschere almost looks to be bowl8 my on that card. I also enjoy seeing San diego clippers cards like the Walton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I would've preferred him to be shown as a Blazer, I still think it's kind of neat of Panini to show him in a Clippers uni.

      Delete
  4. Seeing the Oakland Coliseum on that 72T Taylor card made me realize that it was less than 10 years old when that photo was taken. Lol. Now it's considered the worst ballpark in MLB ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did it again! I guess you really do recognize that stadium when you see it. And I thought that the Tampa ballpark was considered to be the worst?

      Delete
  5. I'm always up for seeing Prizm cards, especially parallels of Hakeem and Cliff. The Walton is cool, too. But that blank back (and unmarked) checklist is quite a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really taken the unmarked part of the checklist into account? That would've been kind of weird for some kid to use just half of a checklist.

      Delete
  6. Who wouldn't be drawn into this post. So much shiny!

    ReplyDelete