Saturday, June 15, 2019

Golden Cub

Like a lot of collector's, I have quite a few saved searches on eBay, some going back over ten years, while others date back to just a couple of weeks ago. Many saved searches have been deleted over the years, either because I eventually got whatever it was, or I just lost interest in the item, and of course, new searches are always being added -- I think there's a limit to how many you can have, but I've yet to reach it (probably because of all the deleting).

And I don't know how it is for everyone else, but is seems like more often than not, that when I get the daily emails for items that match my searches... they rarely seem to match? Often times it's just stuff that shares a word or two with my search, and that's it! If this ever happens to you, than you know how frustrating it can be, especially if it's on a search that doesn't yield results very often (if ever), you get all excited, and are immediately let down once you crack open that email -- this too is something that happens to me on a fairly regular basis!

So imagine my surprise, when a couple of weeks ago I received a result amongst my daily emails for an item that hadn't popped up on the site in literally years, and wonder of all wonders, the emailed listing actually matched my search!?!?

You are looking at one of the most, possibly even THE most, hard to find autographs from the 2014 Golden Age set. This card was a short-printed redemption, which obviously is already going to be rare, but than when you take into account the fact that this set came out in July of 2014, and Mr. Banks passed away in January of 2015, well, that doesn't leave an awful lot of time for these cards to be signed. From what I've read - and I don't know how accurate the message board posts on the subject are - it sounds like they're might be less than 50 of these floating around, which would explain (if true) why this is the first one to come up in over two years.

I knew that if one ever did show up again, that it wouldn't be cheap, and I was right! It was listed for $89.99 (+ $3 for shipping), which is an awful lot for me right now, thankfully though, the seller was also open to best offers. Since I was seeing this listing just a couple of hours after it went live, I knew I'd have to act quick (I honestly don't know how it was even still there?), so I put in an offer, which was countered within mere minutes -- and even though it was a good counter, I still pressed my luck by submitting a counter to the counter, which was accepted after a very long two-hour wait.

Those couple of hours felt like an eternity, but it was worth it, because in the end I got my much desired card for $67 (plus that pesky $3 for shipping), which was still a lot, but it was a little more doable than $89.99.

Technically speaking, I didn't have, and wasn't going to have the money for this, but that's why god invented credit cards. I did have a plan though, which was to list a bunch of stuff for sale real quick, and hopefully have the money by the time the credit card bill was due. For the record, this is a terrible way to do things, so if any kids are reading this, don't do like me, go be financially successful so you'll have money on hand to pay for such things! That being said, the plan did work, as I did sell five things (including one that I didn't really want to) over the next two weeks, so when the bill comes, I will be good for it. I am glad though that I didn't have my heart set on going to a card show this month, because this purchase would've negated such a want.

As great as it was to have such a long standing search like this yield a positive result, I'd be completely okay if no more of my expensive much wanted items showed up on eBay for the next couple of months, that way I'd have a chance to build up a bit more of a reserve.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

27 comments:

  1. Good story and that's such a terrific looking card of Banks.
    I have multiple saved searches as well, but I've taken to fine tuning them so I don't have false positives sneak through. I'm sure you already know, but by adding in -, immediately followed by a word you don't want in the search, it will eliminate them from the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know of adding the minus, but after missing out on two things that were improperly titled a couple of years ago, most of my searches are a lot less specific, just in case someone lists an item wrong again. As an example, this card's search was just "Golden Age Ernie Banks"... I wasn't taking any chances :)

      Delete
  2. I love the story behind the Banks autograph, and the card itself is beautiful. I personally don't have one in my collection, but I have autos of other Cubs legends like Billy Williams and Fergie Jenkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't even think anything of the story until a few of you guys mentioned it! I'd like to get a Billy Williams auto at some point, maybe even a Fergie too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, he'd be #1 on that list :)

      Delete
  3. there have been a couple of times when i've been disappointed by a false positive hit on one of my saved searches, but they are usually pretty accurate. that's a great card of banks; i'm in the market for a signed mr. cub card myself, but i don't think i'll end up with this one based on your background information regarding its scarcity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the good news is, Ernie signed a lot of cards, so you'll have plenty of options when it comes time to start looking -- most of which can be had for less money than this one!

      Delete
  4. Man I can relate to this post in so many ways (saved searches, super short printed autograph, counter offers, "long waits" for a counter to be approved, having to use a credit card to complete a purchase). Thank you for this post and sharing this story. Congrats on a great card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a super collector, I would imagine that you could relate to such things, especially the waiting for uber-rare cards!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you got it. I don't do saved searches on Ebay. I spend too much money as it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done really well in cutting back my spending... but this was obviously one of those exceptions that I just couldn't pass on.

      Delete
  6. Amazing autograph! Hell of a player on a nice design with a top notch signature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a great looking card and the autograph is so sharp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really crisp signature, especially considering how close he was to leaving us when he signed it.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the pickup! First one in two years? That's definitely a toughie. As for credit cards... I learned a long time ago the importance of using, but not abusing them. I use my PayPal credit card on as many things as I possibly can... but make sure to pay it off at the end of each month. Recently cashed in all of my rewards points for five $100 eBay gift cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never charge more than I can pay back on time, interest adds up way too quick otherwise! $500 in eBay gift cards? That you should yield a few blog posts worth of stuff :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on finally finding this great card! I've been guilty of charging money for a purchase, then scrambling to sell something to cover the cost. Stopped doing that because I wasn't selling nearly enough. I might have to fall into that trap again; there are six cards I'm watching that could be paid for with items I've listed-except I'm 0 for 8 so far. :/

    Also, the false result thing drives me nuts. I've been notified about hundreds of auctions that weren't the card or player I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning doing so on something last year. It's good that you stopped participating in such practices, as it really isn't a good way to do things. This isn't something that I would ever recommend anyone else doing, and hopefully I won't have to do it too many more times... I don't need any extra anxiety!

      Yeah, it's a pain, but I believe it's what the kids would refer to as "first world problems" :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, that's a great addition to your Golden Age collection! Glad everything worked out financially, and that the seller accepted your counteroffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad that everything worked out too. I don't like doing things like this, but in this instance, it was sort of necessary... just in case another copy doesn't come up again anytime soon.

      Delete
  11. Great Ernie. All the 69 era Cubbies have nice signatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they? I can't say that I've seen too many signatures from Cubs of that era, but it wouldn't be all that surprising, as folks used to have much nicer penmanship.

      Delete
  12. another great one finds its way to a good home! what a coup!

    ReplyDelete