Monday, June 10, 2019

Slam dump!

The miniscule amount of creativity that I possess seems to still be on vacation, so this is probably as good a time as any to dump another batch of scanned stuff from February's card show.

Everything this time will be of the basketball variety, which is basically just more cards that didn't fit into this post, or this post.

Being a card show post, there is of course going to be some shiny! Focus Pocus is one of those sets that I didn't ever see during my original card collecting run, but have grown quite fond of them since coming back.

What the Buck?

It's no secret that a lot of basketball inserts from the 90's have gone up in price over the last few years, however a few have also gone down, 1994-95's The Center Stage being one of them. It's a good thing that I don't care about such things though, I was still very much happy to find this new to me kissy faced Pippen.

Off the top of my head, I could probably only rattle off the names of around a dozen horizontal insert sets, two out of the three here would be amongst those listed. I know that there are a few more than that, but I just don't see them enough to remember them by name. I don't usually go for a lot of modern inserts, but I can make an exception for Dr. J, who had to of course go and scan poorly, so...

... here's a slightly better look at him.

 A couple of base cards from sets that I don't come across very often.

I love getting inserts of guys like Robert Horry and Jim Jackson, I just wish they would've been included in more sets. And Jim is from one of those mythical Hot Packs, which were made up of an entire insert set. It would've been so cool to open one of those way back when, the only person that I know of who did hit one of those packs, on the baseball side, is Oscar.

Game Breakers ('96-97 or '97-98) are not something that I would expect to find for fifteen cents, although I don't know how much actual demand there is for this particular pairing, as it's not like there's a ton of Jerry Stackhouse and Clarence Weatherspoon collector's out there.

Hobby Masters was, and still is, one of my favorite sets of all-time, easily in the top three. I am still just as enamored with them as I was when they first came out, maybe even more so -- especially when they're found in a dime box, or in this case, a 6/$1 box.

In a (or my) perfect world all three of these guys would have played out their careers with their respective original teams.

Look Wahad my scanner did to Tariq's Zebut card!

Another trio that should've stayed where they started!

This photo was supposed to go in one of the previous posts, but I stuck it in the wrong folder, and forgot all about it. Oh, and here's a pro tip, if you ever come across a Frequent Flyer in a dime box, buy it! You'll thank me later :)

It's only taken four months, but I'm very happy to say that this was the last of the stuff from February's card show!!! This too could be the last card show post in general for a little while longer. I haven't felt like going to Nashville, and I really haven't felt like getting up at 3am on a Saturday, hence the no shows for four months and counting. Plus there's whole lack of money thing, that doesn't help either. I'm sort of thinking now that the next one that I go to will be September's super mega show, and then that might be it for the rest of the year... such a strange year!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Basketball's not my sport but there's a ton of great designs here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the 90's were all about... great designs!

      Delete
  2. Great Spre and Erving cards. Those Webbers are nice too. Very ugly kissy face by Pippen though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a voice like his, Scottie never had to worry about anything else :)

      Delete
  3. The Parish is not a base card. That's a Finest parallel. I hit a hot pack of the Rookie Sensations insert in 1995-96 Fleer series 2. I later purchased a set of the Ultra card you show but I didn't open it myself. Take a closer look at the Limited Access Penny Hardaway. It has a feature that I think you would have mentioned if you noticed.
    Every single card in this post was awesome, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, it looked like a base card to me, I just don't care enough to look everything up anymore, and I'm sorting things much differently than I used to, and by doing so this new way, I don't really need to keep track of what set cards are from either. But I will try to remember this info for future posts though, just in case I ever get another one from that set.

      Are you referring to it's being a foldout? If so, I noticed, I'm not crazy about the foldouts (to easy to damage), so I just didn't feel the need to mention it. Besides, you're probably the only one who cares anyway, most folks aren't stopping by this blog for info, they're just looking to see a few shiny things before moving on to a better blog.

      Delete
  4. Always liked the 94/95 Skybox Emotion Xcited set. Finding the Kidd for less than a quarter was a steal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a favorite set of mine as well, possibly in the top 10.

      Delete
  5. Love that Mitch Richmond scoring King insert..and I'm partial to '92-93 Fleer inserts of all types, even ASG ones like the Mailman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a lot of '92-93 Fleer inserts, but there can't be too many from that year. One could probably complete those without too much trouble, although the Jordan ASG might set you back like $20, but other than that...

      Delete
  6. I see a EX2000 set help! lol.

    ReplyDelete