Friday, September 13, 2019

COMC Shuffle #26

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1970 Topps #324
This has always seemed like an odd photo to me, not quite as awkward as the Hank Aaron from this set, but it definitely doesn't look natural.

1999-00 Upper Deck Ultimate Victory - Ultimate Collection #146
This was just an impulse purchase, it was cheap, shiny, and just so happened to be a hard to find 90's parallel, so...

1971 Topps Milk Duds Whole Box
If Willie Davis ever asks you if you'd be interested in seeing his famous disappearing bat trick, take my advice and... run away as fast you can!!!

2018 Panini Classics Timeless Tributes Orange #102
I love Eric's card from this set, but after getting this basic orange, as well as one of the orange Optichromes, I can honestly say that I probably need them. The blue's and gold's look great, but the orange's not so much (at least not for Dickerson).

2013 Panini Cooperstown Collection Green Crystal Shard #32
Replacing one logo for another. That's exactly what Panini did with this photo, Jimmie now looks like he's playing for the National Baseball Hall of Fame's... can't say that I've ever heard of that team before?

1909 T206 #?
Harry Gaspar (misspelled on the card) played four seasons of professional ball, all with Cincinnati. During this time he compiled a record of 46-48, with his best season being his first (1909), in which he went 19-11, with a 2.01 ERA. In 1910, he and Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown led the majors in saves, each notching seven respectively.

I had forgotten that there was a stamp on the back of this one. Now I'm gonna have to go find it and see if I can see what it says.

1974-75 Topps #30
Set need. This card proved surprisingly difficult to find in decent shape for a realistic price.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Yellow and Red Mosaic Prizms #209
Recently I responded to a question on Twitter by a posting a picture of Shawn Kemp's 1990-91 Fleer rookie, this then led to someone who I didn't know that I was mutually following mentioning growing up in the Northwest and watching him and Gary Payton, I then said that I saw plenty of them while growing up in Portland, which led to them to reveal that they too were from Portland!!! Portland isn't a small place (at least not anymore), and I know that a lot of people have come from there, but it's still always a bit of a surprise when I encounter a fellow native.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Blue and Green Mosaic Prizms #198
Even though the 2014 set has two different kinds of all-blue Prizms (regular and mojo), I think that Elgin looks best on the blue-green combo, although him on those all-blue's looks pretty good as well, and I certainly wouldn't mind getting a few of them :)

2000 EX - E-Xceptional Red #7 XC
When talking about the big three, it's kind of amazing to see the difference in price with E-Xceptional inserts. On the basketball side they keep going up, most of the baseball are still fairly cheap (a few have gone up though), meanwhile the football is in the gutter and isn't showing any signs of climbing out anytime soon. As far as this insert goes, most of my examples are of the basketball variety, but over the last year or so I have started picking up more of the super cheap football's.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

15 comments:

  1. I love to see those E-Xceptional cards every time you show one from your collection. So pretty.

    Also, my brother just took a professor job at Samford University in Alabama, so I was researching it a little more, and their current basketball coach is -- SCOTT PADGETT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you might need to get a few for yourself :)

      A Jeopardy champion and a professor in the family? Your parents must be awfully proud! And Scott Padgett is coaching? I don't usually pay much attention to athletes after they've retired, but it's nice to know that he's still involved with the game. Does this mean that you're going to be starting a Scott Padgett collection?

      Delete
  2. You reminded me: I've meant to prowl COMC's inventory for more of those Milk Duds cards for a while now. Off I go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you found some success with that!

      Delete
  3. Love the Davis Milk Duds box and the 70T Taylor. I had to look up the 70T Aaron you mentioned. I wonder if there are other photos in the set where players seem to get caught off guard by the photographers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say that there's at least one more in the set, but I can't think of who it was right now.

      Delete
  4. There should be more willie davis cards. And 1958 gino cimoli would like a word about disappearing bats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I think I have it, I did go look up that Cimoli real quick, that might be the king of disappearing bat cards!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. As usual, I figured that that would be the one that brought you in :)

      Delete
  6. There's a lot to choose from in this post. I'm not a huge Football fan, but that Eric Dickerson card is awesome. I agree with you about the Tony Taylor though it has become a classic card as far as '70 Topps is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Taylor seems to be a fairly popular card amongst collectors, despite the awkwardness of the photo.

      Delete
  7. 7 saves, huh? The game sure has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a taylor too, fits well into my multibat collection!

    ReplyDelete