Friday, September 6, 2019

COMC Shuffle #25

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1975-76 Topps #77
Walt Wesley was a decent player, but he was no match for Bill.

2016 Panini Certified Mirror Red #98
I know that I haven't seen all of his cards, but of the one's that I am familiar with, this is by far my favorite, I just really love the photo. I can't remember how many parallels this card has (10-12), but I do know that I have all but four of them... I'm not going to hold my breath over thinking that I might ever get the black 1/1 though!

1969-70 Topps #87
One of the oft forgotten members of the Blazers '76-77 championship team. Herm retired after getting his ring, despite having only played eight seasons, and at 30, still being young, and healthy, enough to have continued to contribute for many a team. And like a lot of ex-Blazers, Herm stayed in Oregon after his retirement, where he lived and worked until his passing in 2005.

1995-96 Topps Power Boosters #286
The '95-96 season was not a good one for Mark, in fact it would end up being his worst season, as injuries limited him to just seven games. Being the competitor (and great player) that he was, Mark did bounce back and play for two more season with Golden State and Orlando -- even leading the league in free throw percentage (90.6) during the '96-97 season.

2011 Topps Chrome Blue Refractor #50
Blue refractors and Ichiro go together like cream corn and wrestling :)

1975-76 Topps #324
Having folded after the previous season, the Sounds were just a memory by the time this set came out. Like most of the ABA franchises, the Sounds had been struggling financially, finishing the '74-75 season with a record of 27-57 only served to hasten their demise. Despite that terrible record, they still ended up making the playoffs (did I mention that the ABA was struggling?), losing to the eventual champion, the Kentucky Colonels, in the first round. Looking back, it's hard to believe that a team with the likes of Mel Daniels, George Carter, Freddie Lewis, Chuck Williams, Rick Mount, and Roger Brown (among others) could've finished so low in the rankings. No surprise that they would've done so poorly in their matchup with the Colonels though... that team was built to win!

1999 Pacific Revolution Icons #4
90's? Insert? Die-cut? Shiny? Pacific? Barry Sanders? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and YES!!!!

2014-15 Panini Prizm Blue and Green Mosaic Prizms #247
Panini went off the beaten path with this image. Instead of using one of the tried and true pictures of Spud from the late 80's, they went against the grain and selected a shot from his second stint with the Hawks. Spud came back to Atlanta for the 1995-96 season, which also happened to be the season that the Hawks rolled out their new logo (of which Spud is sporting). Funny thing is, Spud didn't end up playing in Atlanta very long, as he was traded to Minnesota after just 32 games -- meaning that this photo came from a rather narrow time period.

1962 Topps Mars Attacks! #25
This card is just a tad miscut, but you know something? I. Don't. Care! When it comes to this set, as long as it's not too creased, or missing too much paper, I'll pretty much take whatever I can get.

2012 Panini Black Friday Kings Cracked Ice #1
I didn't really need it, but I got this cracked ice to accompany my 3/4 completed Progressions rainbow anyway. If I remember correctly, these are unofficially numbered to /25, but no actual serial number was printed on the card though... your guess is as good as mine as to why not?

I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but I skipped last week's Shuffle. I was working on a long non-card related post earlier in the week, which I subsequently got stuck on, then couldn't get unstuck, got annoyed, and because of this I ended up not wanting to blog for the rest of the week... hence the missing post!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. That Bill Walton card is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream corn and wrestling? Is that a thing? By the way... I love me some creamed corn... almost as much as I love that Walton... or listening to Walton's commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If memory serves, it is according to the trailer for Striptease (never saw the movie).

      Delete
  3. That Bill Walton is sweet!!! Love the Spud Webb too, Go Pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill seems to steal the show every time I put one of his cards in a post.

      Delete
  4. Bill Walton looks like Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does, and I intentionally didn't mention it, in hopes that someone else would notice the resemblance without any prompting -- so I guess you win :)

      Delete
  5. I came for teh Barry Sanders. That made me happy

    ReplyDelete