Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Trying something new

"Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention."

As many of you undoubtedly already know, that's a snippet from the song, "My Way". Penned by hitmaker extraordinaire, Paul Anka. And performed by the great Frank Sinatra.

As timeless as the song has proven to be, many would argue that it has been played to death (wait for the intended pun), not only has corporate radio done what corporate radio does, but it's also been a mainstay at funerals for the better part of 50 years now.

The song has been covered in linear fashion, and has also been covered after being rewritten (Sid Vicious). In no way would I ever compare myself to Paul Anka, or think that I could do any of what he has done better, BUT if I were to rework the quoted lyrics in order make them sound a little more like something I might say, well, they might look a little something like this:

"Regrets, I have more than a few. But then again, far too many to mention."

Regret is a terrible thing. From ancient Greek philosophers to modern day TED talkers, everyone seems to have a theory on the nature of regret, all of which is of course just theory, and is really only helpful to those who's beliefs are in line with whoever happens to be theorizing.

Sometimes you'll hear people say something like "What's done is done", or even worse, "When I die, I'll be doing so without any regrets". My first response to the latter is always "Well, bully for you!".   Because when my time comes, much as I hate to say it, I will be laden with regrets (hopefully a carry-on is allowed).

Having so many regrets is terribly unhealthy, I know, but that's just the way I am. Some of the bigger ones creep into my mind on nearly daily basis, there are so many things, that given the opportunity, I want to go back and change -- things that, for lack of a better term, will continue to haunt me for the rest of my days. I may poke fun at those who claim to be regretless, but in all honesty, I envy the hell out of them!

Most of my regrets involve life altering decisions that were incorrectly made, or not made at all. But I also have plenty that are centered around more trivial things, like collecting. Thankfully those of the collecting variety don't creep into my psyche very often, and when they do, they don't tend to stick around very often.

One thing that I've come to realize as of late, and wish that I had done differently, was to have taken more time to appreciate individual cards... stop and smell the cards if you will :)

Growing up as a set collector, and a rather obsessive one at that, I can remember so many times where I should've taken the time to slow down and just enjoy the cards for what they were, instead of always worrying about whether or not whatever set was getting any closer to completion. I mean seriously, there were times where I would open a pack, flip the cards over, and just go through the numbers while looking at my checklist -- it didn't matter who was in the pack, it was all about whether I needed the card or not. Now it wasn't always like that, but looking back, when it was, I don't think I was having a great deal of fun with collecting cards.

Because of my predisposition for sets, I didn't do nearly enough appreciating of individual cards, and I regret this, things probably would've been a lot more fun if I had been able to just collect cards that I liked, rather than always (and I mean always) having to work on sets. I also probably wouldn't have ever stopped collecting cards, but by the late 90's I was just so overwhelmed, and so burned out, that I just walked away cold turkey.

The only anomaly during that original run was my Ken Griffey Jr. and Larry Johnson (basketball) collections, and even then, those were only made up of duplicates, as anything that wasn't a duplicate, HAD TO GO TOWARDS A SET!

A lot of kids had favorite cards, but again, I was a weirdo, so save for a few rare exceptions, most cards just didn't stand out to me. My memory for most of my early card collecting days isn't great, but I do remember those couple of rare exceptions where a card did stand out. There was my '87-88 Fleer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, I don't know where I got it, but it was one of my prized possessions as a kid. Warren Moon's 1990 Score Hot Gun was a big one as well, if only because I had never seen a card quite like that. Then there was Shawn Kemp's 1990-91 Fleer rookie, a card that I'm still deeply in lust with. And the only other one that really grabbed my attention was this one:


I know it's just a guy punting a ball, but this image still gives me the feels even today. Besides just liking the card for aesthetic purposes, and the memory of doing so as a child, there is also a partial memory of me looking like an idiot that is attached to this card.

I'm pretty sure that given the friend that was involved, what I'm about to type took place in 1990. I was over at a friend's house, and we just happened to be walking through the living room while his dad and some other guys were watching the Dolphins v. somebody, and guess who was punting the ball at that very moment? If your answer was Reggie Roby, than you'd be correct! Anyways, I immediately recognized him, and said, in a much louder voice then necessary, "THAT'S THE GUY FROM THE CARD!". You'll often hear people speak of record scratch moments, well, this was one of them. All the talking that was being done ceased in an instant, and all eyes turned to me. In that moment, I realized that a) I had not used an indoor voice, and b) nobody had any idea what I was talking about. Needless to say, eight year-old me couldn't find a hole to crawl into fast enough. Thankfully we didn't live in that area for too much longer, so I wouldn't ever have to be reminded of that incident by any of the people who were there, although it would've been nice had that memory been one of the many that has since fallen by the wayside.

I would later see Reggie play many times, all from the comfort of my own home, and was always impressed with him as a player. I would also later get more of his cards, many of which featured images similar to his 1990 Pro Set card, meaning that I would at least stop and take note of them before placing the card in it's proper place within a set.

[I'm jumping ahead a bit here, but I'll be circling back around to Reggie in a minute] After about a decade away, I came back to card collecting in/or around 2010, and unfortunately I fell right back into set collecting. Things were going alright for the first couple of years, but as the years increased, so did the number of sets that I was working on. Sometime last year I started to sense that familiar feeling of being overwhelmed, which was being followed by a burnout chaser. Although unlike back in '99-00 when my first card collecting run ended, I now have a blog, and have met a lot of great people because of it, so I wasn't too keen on quitting collecting cold turkey again. Instead, I went through all of the sets that I was working on, and through a process of elimination, ended up cutting my workload in half. This seemed like it might work at the time, but it didn't take long before I realized that even half of what I was working on was still too much, so late last year I stopped working on all but four sets -- and those four were autograph sets, so definitely not your traditional "sets".

Stopping work on all sets was a good thing, as I'm no longer feeling overwhelmed, or feeling like I have to buy something. Since late last year I've pretty much just been a "in the moment" type of card collector, where I just get whatever appeals to me in that moment. As freeing as no longer working on any sets has been, it's also kind of left me feeling a tad rudderless. I've had no direction, which I think has been responsible for the waning interest in cards that I've been experiencing for the last couple of months.

I don't want to start up with any sets again, but some direction would be nice. I had the buybacks frankenset going on a few years ago, which I did enjoy for a time, but prices on those starting going up, and I wasn't willing to pay the newly risen prices for the ones I wanted -- plus a lot more people started doing them, so the semi-originality of it became lost, and so did my interest. The idea of a frankenset is still appealing though, it would give me direction, but I wouldn't have to follow any set rules. But what kind of set to do? Night Owl has his mini A&G set, Dayf has his non-sport set, both of which are quite appealing, but I don't want to knowingly copy someone else's idea. I also like the idea of doing an all vintage frankenset, especially since I've got so much unwanted vintage from now abandoned set builds (is anyone else already doing an all vintage frankenset?).

I've also thought about trying to collect a player's entire run. There would be some direction in that, but not in a traditional sense. The only problem with that is, who to collect? Modern player's are out, I don't care enough about any of them, and even if I did, with the way cards are produced these days, whoever it would be would just have too many cards to be able to complete their run... namely the gajillion 1/1's that are produced each year. So that leaves someone from the past, problem is, again the way cards are now being made, pretty much anyone I can think of has cards in modern sets, which means more superfractors, printing plates, etc. And that just won't do!

I believe the answer to the above question may have come to me quite accidently a couple of days ago while putting away some cards. I was flipping through one of my semi-newly created football binders that's sorted by team, I stopped to insert a few Dolphins, one of which was the Reggie Roby 1990 Pro Set, and it came to me, what about Reggie Roby? A quick trip to the TCDB told me (assuming that their numbers are correct) that he has 141 cards (I'm not counting the TriStar cut signature... those aren't real cards!!!!), that seems doable, especially since none of them are 1/1's. He retired right about the time that inserts started getting crazy, so there wouldn't be a ton of parallels to chase, in fact I only see three cards that could be a problem: 1991 Pro Line autograph, 1992 Wild Card 100 stripe, and the biggie, his 1992 Wild Card 1000 stripe (COMC has had two that have sold for less than $4).

As mentioned earlier, I liked him as a player, and from everything I've read, he was a good person (he passed away in 2005 at only 43 years old), which coupled with the reasonable amount of his cards to chase, means that I think I'm gonna go for it... I am now officially trying to complete Reggie Roby's entire card run!


Now that such a decision has been made, it only makes sense to go see how many cards of his I already have. Hmm? That search didn't turn out too well, apparently the only other card that I still have of his, is this 1990 Score... not a good start! I do however have unopened boxes of both 1990 and 1991 Topps, so I guess there's a chance that those boxes might have a few of his cards, but basically it looks like I'll be starting from scratch.

I must admit that I am a bit nervous about starting such a collection, but not because I haven't done anything like this before, no, it's more of a "I'm worried what Panini might do" kind of thing. Just because they haven't been including him in any of their newer sets, doesn't mean they won't start doing so at some point, especially if he ever makes it in to the HOF (a lot of people seem to think that he should already be there), because then the presses would be fired up, and 1/1's would start being printed en masse, after all... it is "their way"! So here's hoping that Panini doesn't end up making me regret this decision as well.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

21 comments:

  1. An interesting goal - and one that, I agree, would be doable as it doesn't sound like there is much for "hard to get cards". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, everyone else seems to agree with your sentiments, so I'll take that as a good sign :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome.. Do it! I'd be more worried about Panini putting out new cards of him if he were still alive (ie, another autograph subject for them to use.. as SCC can tell you with Rodney Hampton). But even if they do, there's no harm in limiting you supercollection to "playing days" or "lifetime era" cards and ignore new stuff and buybacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the autograph factor, but that's a good point, and I'm glad that you brought it up. I also hadn't thought about the whole "playing days" thing, as someone who collects a lot of different player's, I guess you would know a lot more about such things... and I really appreciate you taking the time to mention them :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an attainable goal, for sure! Looking forward to reading some updates here on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I might be getting a few sent to me, so those updates might be coming sooner than later.

      Delete
  4. Reggie was an interesting guy - wristwatch and all. And he played for Washington. I'm on it! Watch your mailbox. I love helping out player collectors, especially obscure ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! I wasn't really looking for anyone to be offering up any cards, but someone on Twitter found four cards for me, and now you! It's more than I expected, but I do appreciate you taking the time to look, and if you do find any, I will most certainly do my best to reciprocate the kindness.

      Delete
  5. I tend to swell on regrets too.

    Good luck with the new collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. I've seen people say that you should embrace your regrets, but I always think that they're probably the sort who doesn't have too many, and therefor probably shouldn't be giving advice about such things.

      Delete
  6. Wow. Never would have guessed that Roby has 141 cards to chase. Should be a fun, challenging, yet doable project. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think that he would have that many either, but other than those three I mentioned, it shouldn't be too hard to track down the bulk of his cards. And in case anybody gets uppity about it, the TCDB does say that technically he has 142 cards, but again, I don't count TriStar cut autographs as cards... and neither should anyone else!

      Delete
  7. Great story, (oddly I have my own regrets about a card related, situationally inappropriate shout that I made in 1990 too. Mine happened in school though).

    Good luck with the Roby collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! I must admit that I'm now quite curious to hear about your story though?

      Delete
  8. Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds. I feel a lot like you do, but for different reasons. For me, set collecting lost it's appeal when they stopped making full sets. The NBA is a 525 man league, the largest set available for the sport is 280 people. That's just no fun. Now that I've switched focus to trying to get one of every person to ever get a card, it's so much more fun and fulfilling. It's more about documenting history than documenting the whims of the card companies.
    You shouldn't have to worry about panini. They pretty much only include people who will sign autographs for them unless they are considered in the top 10 all time. Even if he does get the HOF nod, it may only mean one new card, in the Hall of Fame promo sets they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's really not! During my original collecting run, I got burned out sets once they started becoming harder to complete, namely when rookies started coming in one out of every four packs, so there was no way that even a couple of boxes would yield a complete set. And more recently, it's been the vintage baseball sets, and their high numbers that have gotten to me -- I'm not gonna pay $40 for someone who never accomplished anything of note just because they're a high number, which is allegedly short-printed.

      Delete
  9. Awesome story. As someone who mainly super collects players it is both extremely fun and frustrating. Fortunately the player you are collecting is before all the 1/1 madness that is in today's hobby. Good luck with your future collection goals.

    On a side note, I thought for sure you were going to reveal in your story about "that guy on that card" that you tried to pose like him kicking a football and broke a TV or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've said it a hundred times, but I don't know how you do it? I just can't imagine trying to keep up with all of a current player's cards, just seems like it would be exhausting, and yes, frustrating as well.

      That certainly would've made for a better story, but a) I wasn't blessed with that kind of flexibility, and b) this was the age when chunky CRT's were king, so if I had had an encounter with one, it's more likely than not that I would've ended up being the one who was broken.

      Delete
  10. I may have to see how many Roby I have to help you with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any help would be appreciated, heck, even taking the time to look would be much appreciated!

      Delete