Friday, September 20, 2019

COMC Shuffle #27

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1995 Collector's Edge - EdgeTech Quantum #1
I don't think that I'll ever fully grasp all of the different Collector's Edge inserts/parallels, but since I only buy the cheap stuff, I don't think I really need to know all of the in's and out's, as a lot of it will forever be out of my price range anyway. Also, is it just me, or does Dan not bear a striking resemblance (in the face) to John Madden on this card? I only just now noticed it, and it's kind of weirdin' me out.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Mosaic Prizms #186
I've heard/read plenty of Blazers fans say that the team is better off without LaMarcus, I'm sorry, but those fans don't know what they're talking about. Perfect example: last season's playoffs, they would've been a lot different (i.e. successful) if L.A. had still been around.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Mosaic Prizms #102
Poor T-Rob, finally found a home in Portland, became a fan favorite, then was traded (along with Will Barton) for a guy (Aaron Afflalo) who spent 25 games doing diddly squat... and it's been all downhill for Thomas ever since!

1971 Milk Duds
If one were to look at Jim Hickman's career as a whole, his inclusion into the Milk Duds set might have seemed like an odd one, but if you look at his numbers from the previous season, it's not hard to see why he would've been added to the checklist. Jim had a career year in 1970, .315 BA, 162 hits, 115 RBIs, 32 HRs, all done in 514 at-bats. He also made his only All-Star appearance that year, also finished 8th in MVP voting. Nowadays if somebody had such an anomalous season like that, some sort of monkey business would be suspected, but I don't think people care enough about the past to go around lobbing accusations at a guy who had one really good season almost fifty years ago.

1996-97 Topps Stadium Club Matrix #18
This may look like a run of the mill Matrix, but it's actually one of the uber-rare Dome'z (yes, with a z) parallels. What, you've never heard of Dome'z before? You need to go look 'em up then, because they were totally a real thing, and most weren't just made up three seconds ago by me :)

1933 Goudey #75
One of the best third basemen of his era (THE best according to Chief Bender), Willie Kamm accomplished much during his thirteen year career, certainly more than I could do justice -- I also happen to be putting this post together at the very last moment, so I'll just take lazy way out, and refer you to his SABR page. On the plus side though, I think that his bio on there, written by a fellow called Joseph Wancho, might be one of the better one's that I've seen. As a quick aside, being from Oregon, I'm always interested in learning about any athletes/celebrities who have ties to the state. So I thought it was kind of neat to see that in 1918, a then 18 year-old Willie, briefly worked at, and played for a shipyard league in St. Helens, Oregon. When I have some more time, I'll have to go back and try and find some more info about this brief time in his life.


2015 Panini National Convention VIP Cracked Ice #10
I kind of liked this set back when I got the card, but that like has since worn off, so if anyone's genuinely interested in a #'d to /25 Trey Burke, don't be shy about saying so.

1998-99 Upper Deck Ionix Reciprocal #R17
I just recently opened my ever pack of Ionix (future blog post), and even though I didn't pull any SICCCCCCCCK HITZ, it sure was fun to finally open one after all of these years. If I had some lottery money, I might actually consider buying a box -- but until then, I'm quite content with just picking up the occasional cheap Reciprocal every now and then.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Mosaic Prizms #224
It's really great that DJ has made it into some modern sets, and while I certainly don't mind him being shown as a Celtic, I'd be lying if I said that part of me didn't want to see him as a Sonic. So, what about it, Panini? Next year's Prizm, DJ in his old Sonics gear?

2012 Topps Black #174
I've already professed my love for Nick Barnett's 2012 Topps card in the past, knowing that nobody else feels the same way, I won't go into it again -- but I will say that this black bordered (#'d to /57)version is boss, and I got it for practically nothing, so, yay me!

Oh, and one more thing that I wanted to mention real quick, looks like yesterday was this blog's anniversary -- apparently I've been doing this for four years now! As per usual, thank you to everyone who's ever taken time out of their day to stop by, and a special thanks to everyone who's ever been motivated to leave a comment, without those, I wouldn't be doing this. I'm not gonna make any promises about me doing this for another four years, but I can say that I've got at least another year in me, so...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

17 comments:

  1. Happy Blog-aversary! That Barnett card is indeed awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Where were you like six months ago when I showed off the gold version... and got nothing but crickets?

      Delete
  2. Happy Blog Aversary, I put the Neil Johnson card in the mail today. I have some blazers I will send you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think one anomalous season sets off any alarm bells for me, but an astronomical jump that continues for a couple of years and tapers just as quickly s a red flag. I guess I view it at as anomalies happen, but what are the odds they happen twice?

    Also, the Barnett card would look better to me if he were still in green and gold. I believe that was his first card after he left the Packers. He was a guy I really liked in his prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense! I'm drawing a blank right now, but there have been a few players in the last couple of decades who have had one really great season, and rumors have circulated that they were on something for that one season. Even if it was just a fluke, once a few people start hinting at monkey business, that's all it takes for a stigma to take hold.

      I didn't see a lot of his pro games, but I did see quite a bit of him during his Oregon State days... probably should've made more of an effort to watch some of his NFL games!

      Delete
  4. For what it's worth I did do a box of Ionix, and didn't get any Reciprocal cards. Both of them I have came from COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be nice!!! Not one in the whole box? I thought for sure that they'd average out at one or two per box.

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary! Keep up the great work. Love that Barnett! Loved that guy when he played in Green Bay. As for the 1998/99 UD Ionix Reciprocals... they're gorgeous. I have the Paul Pierce rookie card (#'d 34/100... his jersey number) sitting in my collection somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! That Pierce is pretty big-time card to have, not easy to find either. As far as the rookies in that set go, it's probably third behind Nowitzki and Carter. I've got Matt Harpring and Robert Traylor, and while neither are the most desirable rookies from set, they're still pretty neat, and not exactly easy to find either.

      Delete
  6. You can add me to the list of folx who love that Nick Barnett card. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never seen that Barnett card before - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must not have been following back when I showed off the gold version, despite my gushing, nobody cared about that one at the time :(

      Delete
  8. Happy Blog birthday! I really dig that Shaq Matrix and that Marino is a set I cam chasing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your likes are becoming way too predictable :)

      Delete
  9. another dud post! Freehan is the only one I'd truly like to own but they're all cool. glad you're still around JP.

    ReplyDelete