Monday, September 16, 2019

Tales from the Thrift Store vol. 15

I had so much success last month when I went to Goodwill the day before the 50% off sale, that I decided to forgo this months sale, and go the day before again.

Spoiler alert: I wasn't quite able to duplicate last months success, but I can assure you that it wasn't for lack of trying!

Last month, all of the video shelves were completely full, and so was the spinny rack of DVD's. By comparison, the video shelves were only half full this time, and the DVD rack was only about 40% full. It was a little disappointing to walk in and see that, but since it takes me 35 minutes to get there, I'm still gonna try and get my money's worth -- besides, just because the shelves are only half full, doesn't mean that there still can't be some good stuff in there.


Having not had cable/satellite for a number of years now, I'm a little out of touch with what all of the various stations have been up to, for example, is TNT still making westerns? I remember back in the late 90's and early 2000's, they seemed to have a new original movie practically every week. Ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but they did crank out more than a few. The only that I watched at the time, was Purgatory (has since been bought on DVD too).

I like westerns, so I don't know why I didn't watch more of these films? Maybe I can just use my standard "There were too many other things to watch at the time", it works in most cases when talking about shows/movies from that era because it's true. Anyways, never saw Crossfire Trail, at least not until last week when I brought these home. Good movie, standard fare as far as westerns go, if you've seen a few of them, you can kind of guess how this one's gonna play out. Everybody did a good job acting wise though, you can really tell that Mark Harmon enjoyed getting to play a bad guy.


I have the whole series on DVD, but Amazing Stories is one of a handful of shows that I'll still buy episodes on tape of, even if I already own them in another format... if only because they remind me of my childhood.


I didn't watch a lot of Disney when I was growing up, especially the live-action stuff, as such there's quite a lot of that I have never seen, or even heard of -- No Deposit No Return being one of those. I may not have ever heard of it before, but it didn't take much to sell me on it, seeing Darren McGavin in his Kolchak suit was all that was needed for me to pick this one up.


I don't recall where I was, but a couple of weeks after I moved here to TN, I found volume IV of this series, Greatest plays, and hadn't seen another one since. It's kind of neat to finally find another one, especially one that looks like it's going to be really good.

At this point I had looked through all of the videos, since I was holding four tapes, I figured I might as well go back through them and see if I could get to the 5/$2 threshold (they're fifty cents apiece otherwise) -- but before I could start doing so, a woman that works there came out from the back with a cart of videos (how fortuitous!). Since there was no one else looking at videos, I figured that there was no need to crowd her, so I moved over to the DVD's while she unloaded the basket.


As I already mentioned, the DVD rack was only about half full, and about half of those were leftover from last month, but I did find one thing of interest though. The Equalizer and John Wick came out within a month of each other, so it's almost impossible to read about either online, without seeing a comparison to the other. You'll find plenty of "debates" over which is better, although more often than not, these "debates" just end up devolving into name calling... this is how our modern world works after all! Personally, I like John Wick more, but I'm a fan of the more traditional revenge pictures, so that's probably why I lean the way that I do. The Equalizer is still a solid film though, my only real complaint is that I wish it would've been a little bit more like the television show, but I'm guessing that's just a me thing.

After taking what felt like forever, the gal finally gone done putting out the rest of the videos, and now there was three more shelves worth of stuff to look at, as well as some competition in the form of two guys (one of whom was a hipster wearing a kitschy video store shirt) that showed up seemingly out of thin air once she got done. Thankfully though, I'm a seasoned vet when it comes to scanning VHS titles, so before they could even finish the first of the newly stocked shelves, I was already grabbing the only thing worth taking off of the third shelf (eat it, hipster!).


Look at that beauty! You don't see a lot of tapes like this in the wild anymore, as most of them, as well as pretty much all of the big box horror, are in private collections (or sitting in eBay stores). I have more than a few obscure horror videos, but 99% of those were acquired decades ago, back when almost nobody cared about such things. Most of the 80's slasher pics were not very good, they're made up of mostly just boobs and blood, but almost always had great video covers, which is where most of the value lies -- (most) people don't collect them for the film itself, they do it for the covers, as they remind them of being a kid/teen and wandering down the horror aisle(s) of their local video stores. In a way, it really is nostalgia in it's purest form. I sure am glad that I waited for that woman to put those tapes out (I almost didn't), because finding this one really made my day. And I almost forgot, the best part about this particular tape? It's not an ex-rental, which is pretty darn rare for something like this.

I may not have found as many videos as last month, but overall I don't think that I did too bad, I mean it was certainly worth the trip, and in the end that's all I really care about... getting enough to justify me going out. I also made a somewhat rare (at least for me) stop at Big Lots that morning as well, a stop that yielded some surprising goodies, which will be covered in Wednesday's post. And yes, I know, two video/DVD posts in a row, deal with it!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I loved Amazing Stories! I actually remember "The Mission" episode, although not the fact it had those two stars in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people did/still do. It's not a bad episode, the end of it was a bit of a letdown, considering how tense things were, it would've been nice if the final act could've matched the rest of the episode.

      Delete
  2. I struck out on my last thrift shop visit, but it looks like you did well. I'd be happy to find the football one and the Disney movie even though I never heard of either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think that you ever left your local thrift store empty handed! I'm sure you've got plenty of backlogged stuff to show though :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing Stories now that was a great show. Although, virtually anything that has Steven Spielberg's name attached to it is good fanfare. Both episodes you have there are star studded. Have you watched all the episodes you have on dvd?

    Terror at TenKiller is an excellent find. You're right. Finding those tapes out in the wilderness just doesn't happen. A great find indeed and well worth the extra few minutes you had to hang around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of anthology shows in general, my entire childhood was spent watching things like The Twilight Zone (original), Outer Limits (original), Amazing Stories, Monsters, and Tales from the Darkside. And yes I've watched all of them on DVD, but I had already seen all of them multiple times back when they used to be on the Sci-Fi channel.

      I kind of figured that you'd be the only one who was going to appreciate that one as much as I did. It's funny too, I can remember when these kind of videos were everywhere, mostly during the mid-to-late 90's, they could be had for nothing, because other than a few hardcore horror fans, nobody else was interested in them. Now they're highly collectible, ridiculously expensive, and mostly hidden away in private collections.

      Delete
  4. I really just need to go and buy both seasons of Amazing Stories on DVD already. Keep hoping I'll find the DVD's at the flea market, but it hasn't happened. For now, I just discovered it's on NBC.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That truly would be quite the "Flea Market Find"! Although I think you might be waiting awhile before that find is found, especially since they're not printing off huge quantities of the second season. It's good that it can be found somewhere online though, but I would imagine that they're charging folks to see it.

      Delete
  5. I totally remember seeing that episode of Amazing Stories when I was a kid, though I had forgotten the name of the show and didn't know the actors back then. I just looked it up after seeing your post and was like "Oh yeah, that one where the guy draws wheels for the plane and that saves him...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a bit of a silly ending, but not one that you're likely to forget!

      Delete
  6. I feel like Denzel was watching me throughout reading this post. I have zero shot to run and hide from him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, my sis and her husband have a house on Lake Tenkiller. she's an avid horror fan too. i must find this for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Good thing she's a horror fan though, otherwise I wouldn't recommend giving this film to her.

      Delete