Thursday, January 23, 2020

A little bit of everything


Not being overly fond of the traditional "I'll give you this for that" style of trading has had an impact on the number of cards that I've received from fellow collector's over the years.


Not having any want lists up for at least half of this blog's existence has had an impact on the number of cards that I've received from fellow collector's over the years.


Not being a team collector has had an impact on the number of cards that I've received from fellow collector's over the years.


Not being a collector of current players has had an impact on the number of cards that I've received from fellow collector's over the years.


Not being a set collector (at least not anymore) will undoubtedly have an impact on the number of cards that I'll receive from fellow collector's going forward.


Being told that I'm hard to find stuff for, has likely had, and will undoubtedly continue to have, an impact on the number of cards that I receive from fellow collector's.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, trust me, I'm not! I average probably 10-12 packages/PWE's from fellow collector's a year, and that's more than enough for me, especially given how hard it is for me to write a proper thank you post. Besides, even though everything said here today is true, it's nice to know that there's at least one fellow collector out there who hasn't had any trouble in finding things to send me (or at least if he has, he hasn't said anything), and that's, Chris, aka The Collector. I know this because the package that I received from Chris before Christmas was at least the 27th mailing that's made it's way south from New Jersey, or was it the 34th? Well, no matter, whatever number it was, I've received quite a few packages from Chris over the years, and have sent back more than a few myself.

Thanks again for the cards, Chris! This was quite the mix, you hit on guys that I'm fond of, sets that I'm fond of, and even surprised me with the inclusion of some '86 Topps, three of which were guys that I may soon be adding to my ever increasing list of player collections.

*There was one more card included in this mailing, the "big ticket" item if you will, but I've held it out because it has a direct relation to another card that I received during December, both of which will be featured in tomorrow's post.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. It's a little bit of a challenge finding cards for you, but that's also what makes it so rewarding. I do wish I had more to send your way (why can't you collect any current players lol) and I was a little worried that the Robinson cards I sent you had come from one of the packages you had sent me. Still, it's rewarding to know that this small lot of singles are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, not you too! What you've sent in the past has always been more than enough, so there's no need to worry about that. It's kind of hard to collect more current players, when you don't know who most of them are. And neither Robinson came from me, even if they had been duplicates, I still wouldn't have sent them away.

      Delete
  2. Lots of fun cards. Dan Fouts, The Admiral, and the Passing Kings stand out. You may not conventional but nothing wrong with saying "I did it my way...". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dan Fouts is really great, he's one of the guys that I'm thinking about adding to my list of player collections. And thank you, there's also nothing wrong with dropping a Sinatra reference every now and again :)

      Delete
  3. Nice pickups Jon! I can relate to a lot of what you wrote and I'm good with it too. I think I'd have no time for work if I got as many mail days as Night Owl, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have trouble keeping up with the cards that I do get sent, I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be were I to be on the receiving end of even more mail days.

      Delete
  4. "Not being a team collector has had an impact on the number of cards that I've received from fellow collector's over the years." That's certainly the case for me as well.
    Any time you see something on my blog you'd like - just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was under the impression that you were a Yankees collector?

      Delete
  5. 2018 Panini Classics is an awesome product. Love the design. If I were into busting boxes and building sets, I'd probably go out and buy a box or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to get a box, but the Hobby boxes have gone up considerably since it's release, gotta love those flippers/prospectors and their driving up the price on everything!

      Delete
  6. I am digging the Robisons. I remember that Triple Threat design really well. Think I had tons of those at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of surprised that I didn't already have at least one copy of the TT Robinson, but then again, I don't find those in the cheap boxes very often, so that's probably why I didn't.

      Delete