Thursday, January 9, 2020

Sendin' and Receivin'


For some people, Twitter is a way of life, for others, it represents the very worst of humanity. I may not be overly fond of it, but I wouldn't quite put into the "worst thing that's ever happened" category... at least not yet!


I freely admit that I still don't understand the need for social media, but that could be just because I took so long to start using it, well, that and I just don't care about the majority of the things that other folks do. I never worry about the things that I can't control, nor do I feel the need to espouse my opinion on said things, so that kind of excuses me from most of what people seem to be talking and/or arguing about on a daily basis.


In the last couple of months, I spend, on average, about five minutes a day on Twitter, this being down from about the ten minutes a day that I spent on there before. Like I said, there just isn't a lot of reasons for me to be on there any more than that.


I've said it before, but the only two reasons I even bother with the site, are so that I can try and promote the blog, and so that I can easily keep in touch with other bloggers. At least that's what I used to say, but after seeing a chance tweet back in November, I have to add a third reason for using the site to my list, which is that it also allows me to connect with writers of blogs that I hadn't previously known about -- as was the case with, Trevor, from The Rippin' And The Tradin'.


You see, it was during one of my daily five-minute excursions that I noticed Trevor's tweet about needing only two more cards to complete his 1991-92 Upper Deck basketball set. Now it just so happened that I had a bunch of cards from that set sitting in a box that was destined for the thrift store, so I figured I might as well take a look and see if I could help this random person (who I was mutually following and didn't even know it at the time). I ended up finding the two needed cards almost immediately, they were literally in the first ten cards or so that I went through (fate?), so I let him know that I had them, and a few days later they were headed to their new home.

As is always the case, I wasn't looking for anything in return, but Trevor wasn't gonna let that fly, so after a brief wait on his part while I added some want lists back to the blog (this took place right as the Secret Santa was getting started up), he ended up sending five Reggie Roby's in return, four of which were needed (the other went into one of my random team binders). As mentioned, I wasn't looking for anything in return, but that being said, this was a pretty solid return.

Thanks again for the Reggie's, Trevor! This collection is probably my primary interest right now, so these cards were greatly appreciated, as I haven't had the best luck in tracking down cards of his on my own so far.

And to everyone else, you now have something "new" to add your respective blogrolls, and who knows, with some more support, Trevor might actually be encouraged to write a little more often (not so subtle hint 😉).

Oh, and because I can't see the name of Trevor's blog and not think of this...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you were able to as well :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome to see a post with all punter cards. Love the Beasties song too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the social media thing. Never tweeted, no facebook, just my e-mail and blog I'm good. Heck I'd be okay without them too, but it does make for a good outlet on my cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been on the Facebook, but I could easily live without the rest of the things that you mentioned, but for the time being, they are a necessary evil.

      Delete
  4. I also use Twitter mainly for promoting my (infrequent) blog posts. I also like reading other card bloggers' tweets. That's so cool that Twitter also helped you get some cards, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did get me some cards, but more importantly, it helped me get in touch with a blogger that I didn't previously didn't know about.

      Delete
  5. That photo of Roby on the 89PS card is awesome! Love action shots like that.

    P.S. Beastie Boys rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and his '90 Pro Set Pro Bowl card are my favorites.

      Agreed!

      Delete
  6. Twitter is heaven compared to Facebook. Facebook has possibly the worse collectors you have seen who are looking to feed off of your blood. I like Twitter because most of my trading comes that way. A lot of the blogosphere from what I have seen doesn't collect anything I do or collects exactly what I do and doesn't move it. So I turn to Twitter where with my 100 pt check system I can do a trade without being ripped off.

    However, Twitter does have a lot of noise I mute or scroll by. I am not a negative person and I would definitely never drag the hobby down that way either with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot of stories about how difficult Facebook people can be to deal with, thankfully I've never used it, so I've been fortunate enough to avoid all of that.

      Delete