Friday, January 24, 2020

A Tale of Two Roby's: Part Deux


I don't remember exactly when it was, but I'll say that sometime around last September or so, I noticed that a 1985 HCA Miami Dolphins Police Reggie Roby had been added to COMC. Now cards from this set aren't particularly rare, but they're not likely to be found in some random dime box either, so while I wouldn't have hesitated to pay it a little bit more for this much needed card that I'd probably never be able to find in the wild on my own, I wasn't willing to pay the price that the card was listed at.

Like I do with most cards that I think are overpriced on the site, I put it in my watch list and waited. I wait until they either go down in price (that rarely happens though), or until they go on sale. Months passed with no change on this one. Eventually November arrived, and I, like a lot of people, began to look forward to the Black Friday sale, the hope that this card would be put on sale was one of the many reasons why I started counting down the days (figuratively speaking).

Then one morning about a week before the sale was set to kick off, I logged in and took a scroll through my watch list, and was dismayed to see that the card was now marked "Not For Sale", that's right, some no good sumbitch had bought my card!

As I said, the card isn't super rare or anything, but it was still a little annoying, however there are plenty of cards in the sea, so I silently cursed the buyer, and then moved on.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and a package from Chris arrived, the contents of which were shown yesterday, the contents minus one card, this card! Turns out that Chris was the sumbitch that bought my card, and he had bought it for me no less. People can be really awesome sometimes! Remembering my curse, and now knowing who it was that I had cursed, I was quick to send a thank you email, and to let Chris know of said curse, and it's subsequent removal.

So, fun story, yes? Fun, but it was over, right? Wrong... there's still more!

You see, less than 24 hours later, a PWE arrived, a thin PWE, meaning that there was likely only one or two cards in there. Turns out that there was only one card in there, this card:


In case you can't tell, that's another copy of the same 1985 HCA Miami Dolphins Police Reggie Roby, this time from Greg, he of the The Collective Mind fame.

Greg's note said that he had been putting together an order on Sportlots, and noticed this card amongst the seller's offerings, saw that I didn't have it, and added it to his order! People can be really awesome sometimes!

I suppose that getting the same card from two different people is not that uncommon of an experience, but what are the odds that two different people would end up sending me a copy of the same somewhat uncommon twenty-five year old card less than one day apart? To think that they were both in the mail at the exact same time is kind of weird, and I would have to think that the odds of  such a thing happening are pretty astronomical.


So now I own two! Not a problem though, as one will be going into the collection, and the other one will be displayed on my desk, right next to the bizarro Whitey Ford that I got from Bo a few months ago -- or at least it will be once I find my stash of card holders, as they seem to have flown the coop.

Thanks again to both of you for the cards! I feel a little guilty about getting these, but this was one instance where even the most up to date lists couldn't have prevented this from happening.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

19 comments:

  1. ...[cancelling my Ebay order for the same card]...

    JK! Very nice cards and so generous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sweat it ~ like I mentioned, it was no big investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since they're basically in the same condition, I got them mixed up during the scanning, so yours will either be in my set, or will be seen daily on my desk -- either way, it was still very much appreciated, and will continue to be appreciated!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome, what timing! Thanks for a fun read Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those police cards are not easy to hunt down. I am missing a Georgia one for Rodney for 1988

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully everyone has now noted this need of yours :)

      Delete
  5. maybe you need seven more copies for a full page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know better than to comment in the morning. this won't fit in a nine-pocket page.
      don't judge me.

      Delete
    2. To be fair, I'm pretty sure that I didn't mention that it was oversized, so taking that into account, you're comment wasn't unwarranted. As far as pages go, it would fit in a six-pocket tallboy page, in which case I'd only need four more to fill a page :)

      Delete
  6. Makes me happy to know that Whitey card is getting such a prominent display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and I never had any interest in having cards displayed on my desk until I got that card, I guess one could say that he was my "patient zero"!

      Delete
  7. Great minds think alike! I'm happy to be the sumbitch who saved you a couple bucks. There were other rare-ish Roby cards I considered but I picked that one because I didn't think anyone else would send you an oversized card. Boy was I wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! The two of you seemed to be of "the collective mind" at that particular moment in time. If it makes you feel any better, I never would've expected anyone to send one copy of this card, let alone two.

      Delete
  8. What a great story. How cool are collectors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about collectors in general, but bloggers are pretty darn cool!

      Delete
  9. That's awesome. And I like the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but I guess that's to be expected when two awesome people like Chris and Greg are involved.

      Delete