Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Cards on Cards sends LOTS of cards!


Was it last year? Or was it earlier this year? Hell, I can't remember, and I guess it doesn't really matter when it was, all that matters is that at some point in the past, Kerry, he of the long-running Cards on Cards, mentioned that he was fond of, and collecting, the 2005 and 2006 editions of Topps Turkey Red -- base, and parallels.

I don't know how anyone else felt about him mentioning this, but I was both happy, and relieved. You see I had had a stack of '06 red Turkey Red's sitting on a shelf for months (from yet another abandoned set build), wondering what I was going to do with them. They weren't sellable, and I hadn't seen anyone else wanting them, so I was feeling like I was going to be stuck with them fr awhile, or at least I was until Kerry's post came along.

I'm usually pretty slow to get things shipped, but I was motivated this time, so it didn't take me long to package up the stack of 60-70 (80?) Turkey's, along with a few other Kerry-esque things that I had laying around, and send them off.

I was feeling pretty good after that too, and not because I was able to send a bunch of cards to a fellow blogger, don't get me wrong, that was nice too, but the good feelings were coming from being able to get rid of so many unwanted cards in one fell swoop -- which has been a goal of mine this year (hence starting up the Free Stuff posts), and looking at the rate I'm going, probably next year as well.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when a chunky bubble mailer showed up from Kerry less than a week later, but I still was. I would soon find out that this rotund return-fire was made up of nothing but basketball cards, lots and lots of basketball cards, 119 to be exact... so much for getting rid of some cards!

When someone sends this many cards, it's kind of hard to weave any kind of narrative into the post, and for me it's difficult too because I don't know how many to show, I mean the entire package would be a bit much (even for me), but just doing three or four seems like it would be disrespectful to the person who sent the cards. So, I guess since Kerry pretty much just went through the list of players that I collect, and nearly hit all of them, this is just gonna be an oversized "look what I got" post, broken down mostly by player...

I don't know what set the Essential Legends insert is from (nor do I care), but I got Dennis Rodman out of a dime box last year, and now Kerry sent another handful or so of them -- if I was so inclined, I might actually think about building the set, as they're really attractive in hand.

In case you couldn't tell, there were a number of '04-05 Gold Medallions in this mailer, all of which were my firsts from that set.

Should've scanned the horizontal cards horizontally, but the gold Iverson does look kind of neat standing up.

This package arrived about a week before Kobe died, thankfully Kerry didn't send anything that the masses were overpaying for at the time, although if he had, I would've sent it back, as he couldn't have predicted what was gonna happen right after these were sent.

The top two were my first cards of Tony Parker in a Hornets jersey, and man do they look weird!

GP in a Lakers uni still doesn't look right either.

A bunch of these Studio's were included as well, nice set, the background has a kind of hologram/refractor vibe going on, which of course doesn't scan well.

With all of this MJ stuff going on right now, I've seen a lot of talk about who's the best ever? Who was the best at this? Who was the best at that? Well, here's a not so hot take... The Reign Man gets my vote for best in-game dunker ever! Oh, and speaking of Michael...

I'm not entirely sure if this empty pack was included for collecting purposes, or was just being used to protect the cards, but either way, I'll take it. I've started saving some empty wrappers, mostly those of the 90's variety, and it's been kind of fun to do so (finally found a good use for card savers!), I just wish that I would've starting saving them much sooner... like back in the 90's!

Judging by all of the Pippen cards in my COMC watchlist that have sold, or bought and are being attempted to flip for 20x what the normal going rate is, Scottie must be getting some love in that MJ series... it's about time! I say it all the time, but no Pippen, equals not a single ring for Jordan. There was no way that Michael was ever going to win anything by himself, not in that era, when there were still more than three teams who had a legitimate chance of winning it all.

It's really fun getting a base card and it's parallel in the same package.

Lot and lots of LA's! The bottom left is one of those faux blank back parallels, not something that I would normally go out of my way to buy, but I'm grateful for any free one's (of players that I collect) that get sent my way.

Not only did Kerry send a large sampling of players, but he also (in case you haven't noticed yet) sent representatives from many different sets, so I might as well give a small sampling of those too...

You can't go wrong with the 90's.

More 90's is even better!

Aughts and teens have their appeal as well.

I think I've only shown about half of what was sent, but you get the idea. Apparently Kerry's been sitting on some cool sh*t, and I'm very grateful that he was willing to send some of it my way. Also, I don't know if all of these came from packs or not, but if so, Kerry has considerably better pack opening mojo than I do, mine seems to have taken a permanent vacation -- but if can keep receiving mailers like this, it doesn't need to bother coming back, because this stuff is better than anything that I'd be pulling from packs anyway.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. At least you didn't get an Olajuwon in a Raptors jersey. That makes Parker in Hornets garb look commonplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I did get Ewing in a Sonics jersey...

      Delete
  2. Awesome stuff! I totally agree about GP in a Lakers(or Celtics) Jersey. It just doesn’t look right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, him in a Celtics uni is even more out of place.

      Delete
  3. I don't remember exactly what I was thinking, but I probably felt weird about tossing a wrapper with Jordan on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how bonkers all things MJ have gotten, you were probably right not to do so.

      Delete
  4. Kerry sent you some great cards! I love the GP retro and the Schrempf hologram, but there are lots more I could mention (if I weren't at work.) I hope we'll get to see the rest of the haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put most of these away, and only scanned what's here, so unfortunately there won't be a part 2. Besides, I still have so many care packages to catch up on...

      Delete
  5. I remember when Payton signed with the Lakers. It was like a dream come true, because he was one of my favorite non-Lakers. But like you stated... it just doesn't look right seeing him in any jersey other than a Sonics (which I have hanging up in my classroom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, who wouldn't want GP on their team! Even though it's still a little weird, GP in Heat uni is okay too.

      Delete
  6. That was a fun look-through.

    Kemp was good; could have been better if he hadn't been so lazy. I saw Doc do it live though, and he'll always be my favorite.

    Voting for the Fleer Ultra McGrady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn got lazy during the lockout and never looked back, but pre-lockout he was pretty darn good. Erving would be either #2 or #3 on my best in-game dunkers list.

      That would be a solid choice!

      Delete
  7. Generous stuff! I always like RW&B Prizm. Heck, these could almost make me like basketball cards.

    ReplyDelete