Thursday, May 7, 2020

It's in the bag

There's been some talk of non-card collections on the blogs as of late, and even though I've already covered plenty of non-card stuff/collections here in the past, I figured that if everyone's jonesing for some non-card stuff, who am I to disappoint?

Today's collection isn't so much of collection as in I go out of my way to collect them, so much as it is that for whatever reason I've saved a bunch of them over the years, and now have a "collection".

Most of this "collection" is still in boxes from cross-country move five years ago, and I wasn't about dig into those just for a post, so you're gonna have settle for just a few examples, or in other words... what I could find in the five minutes or so that I spent searching for them!

I guess this would be a good time to mention that this "collection" that I'm speaking of is... plastic bags... yes, plastic bags! But not just any old grocery store bag mind you, no, I'm talking about the more heavy-duty bags that you would usually (or used to) get from businesses, which were more often than not, of the non-food selling variety.

I don't recall when, or why, I started saving bags, but I did, and have accumulated quite a few over the years, enough that if I ever get around to opening up some boxes, I might have think about doing a part 2, as those currently boxed examples are likely to be far more interesting than what I've got for you here today.

So, is anyone still reading this? I'm gonna go-ahead and assume that there isn't, so from here on out I'll just be talking to myself:

Me: Hey, Jon!
Also me: Yo!
Me: You feeling like checking out some bags?
Still me: Bags? What like... dirtbags... or fleabags... or...
Me: Ha! You're so funny! No smart-a**, like plastic bags.
Me to the second power: Plastic bags? Sounds kind of boring.
Me: Perhaps, but it's not like you have anything else to do right now, and don't try to say that you do, because I'll know that you're lying!
me: ...

Seeing someone Twitter about Amoeba shuttering it's original Hollywood location the other day, was sort of the impetus for this post. Though I've never been to one of their physical locations, it's still unfortunate to hear that such a well known place would have to close a store (which was their first) due to the corona lockdown, but I would imagine that the rent/taxes are pretty incredible there, and were just too much to eat with no customer base coming in. I bought a bunch of cheap CD's from them on multiple different occasions back in the mid-aught's, and got at least one bag with one of those purchases. I was losing my light when I took this photo, so it's hard to tell that bag is much more yellow than it looks, not quite Tower Records yellow, but yellower than this. Oh, and speaking of Tower Records...

Couldn't get the right shade of yellow in this pic either.
What would a pseudo bag collection be without at least one form Tower? I actually have a few Tower bags, all of which are of the older variety, pre-dot.com old. Although this one isn't too bad, if only because of it's heavy-duty snap together handle. Thanks to it's high prices, Tower was never one of my favorite places to purchase things, but it was very easy to spend a couple of hours just walking around and looking at things, especially in the days before the internet, because they used to have a lot of stuff that just couldn't find anywhere else.

Rogue Toys started out in Las Vegas, and then opened up a second store in Portland (OR) of all places, and of course they just had to do so a couple of months after I moved here -- although in retrospect, it was probably a good thing that I moved before it opened, as I know would've ended up going there way too often, and spending way too much money. I think it's been about two years now since I bought a NECA Robocop NES figure from them online, they had it cheaper than everyone else at the time, and although they packed it extremely well, there was no way that they could've packed it well enough to survive the ice pick that the box suffered sometime during it's time with the USPS. I don't that it was actually an ice pick that went through the box (could've been a screwdriver too), all I know is that when I got it there was a very noticeable hole going through the shipping box, through the padding in the box, and in to the figures sealed box. I had heard people say that they've had trouble with the USPS when it comes to paying out claims for damaged items, but I filed a claim, and had it accepted in less than a day, so I don't know if I was just lucky, or if those other people just weren't doing something right.

And here's my newest bag! I just recently bought a few more old issues of Scary Monsters Magazine from a person on the eBay, and to my great surprise they arrived in this circa-'92 SMM bag. The bag has definitely been around, but was still very nice to receive... now if I could just get one of those old catalogs :)

That's gonna do it for what isn't packed away, but I do have one more "sort of the same, but not really" thing that I can tack on to the end of the post...

It should come as no surprise to longtime readers of this blog to find out that I've got quite a few vinyl lunch/trick-or-treat bags from McDonald's as well. This particular McBoo bag was found by my mom at a sale sometime last year, is in minty fresh condition, and the glow-in-the-dark still glows too. I don't feel like looking up the exact year that these came out, but I want to say that it was in either 1990 or '91, because I do remember them fairly well, although I never did use one for procuring candy, because a) They were too nice to take out and get all soiled, and b) They weren't big enough to hold all of the candy that I knew was gonna be gotten... that's what pillow cases were for!

If there is actually anyone who made it through this one, thanks for reading a quick post about bags, and to all that took off early, or didn't even bother to click on, I completely understand!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

21 comments:

  1. Tower is back online. My youngest son worked at the Portland Rogue Toys for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no clue that they were. Seems like it would've been fun to work there, but not for me though, I'd probably end up owing them money after every two weeks.

      Delete
  2. I went to that Amoeba location once while in LA to see a concert. Neat shop.

    One of the few "collectable bags" I've got is from Taang! Records, which might not be known outside of Boston and San Diego, but that was a cool store I used to buy bootleg live Jane's Addiction VHS tapes from in the mid 90s. I think I kept the bag because the funny, pseudo-sexual name.

    I think I've also got an old bag from the SDSU bookstore from my days on campus. Maybe a couple other bags of note I'm not remembering that I've hung onto over the years. Probably have a Tower bag around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concerts at record stores are always fun, I used hit up quite a few at Music Millennium in Portland.

      I've never heard of Taang! Records, catchy name though :)

      The only college related bag I have (I think), is one from MHCC, that I got the one time that I ever went into the student store, had to get a math book!

      Delete
  3. Proves that there's something for everybody. Fascinating and interesting collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tower Records was my second home back in the 90's. I actually hung out there way more than I ever hung out at my LCS (if you don't count the times when I was working). And I took my niece and nephew to Amoeba (Berkeley location) back in October. It's a really cool store with a great selection of posters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a second home to a lot of folks back in the 80's and 90's. Posters? I love me some posters, even though I have more of them then I have wall space, I still find myself buying more from time to time.

      Delete
    2. I don't have the wall space either... but I'll grab them every now and then. I'm tempted to buy a Steve-O poster off of his site, because it's signed. But I don't have anywhere to put it. I can't even hang it up in my classroom, because his signature isn't exactly "school" appropriate.

      Delete
  5. I've been to tower records in la and San Francisco back in tbe 90s but not amoeba. In berkeley, i used to go to Rasputin music on Telegraph when I was in town. I don't remember amoeba being on telegraph then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read that Amoeba's first store in Hollywood opened up in 2001, so if the the other two locations followed afterwards, it would probably explain why they weren't there for you back in the 90's.

      Delete
  6. Those record store bags are awesome. Wish I had gotten to go to the original location of Amoeba. I've only shopped with them online. Guess I'm just happy that I've got Schoolkids Records in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, a fellow online Amoeba shopper! I would've liked to have gone to that location as well, but wouldn't have really wanted to go to California in order to do so.

      Delete
  7. That is actually a kind of neat thing to collect (or accumulate). Some of them do have decent designs on them, and they are the sort of thing that triggers nostalgic memories (like seeing bags from stores that have long since disappeared but which you have happy childhood memories of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know why I've been saving them all of these years, but what you say makes sense, and seems like as good of a reason as any to hold on to them.

      Delete
  8. Very cool. There is actually a pretty decent market for old plastic bags from defunct grocery chains, etc. The old Ames Fan Club Forums used to have message boards with people posting their finds. In the last few years I started saving some from chains that seemed near extinction - Toys "R" Us, Kmart, Staples. Now that NY State has banned plastic bags I realized I should start saving one from each chain, as the "plastic bag" itself will soon be a relic of the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never cease to amaze me with the scope of your non-card knowledge! I had no idea that anyone other than hoarders collected plastic bags. It's kind of weird to think that there could be a time in the not too distant future when there are no more plastic bags.

      Delete
  9. When we lived in San Diego, Tower Records was my favorite haunt. You couldn't believe the tuneage you could find in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! I would often find things there that couldn't be found anywhere else, I just couldn't past the often hefty price tags that were attached to those obscure items.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a lot of readers kept reading your post, Jon and Also Jon! Cool collection, too. There was a Tower Records not too far from where I lived during my high school and college days, and one of my friends worked there. (Actually, maybe two.) Lots of good memories, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, talk about a surprise! Were you able to get discounts through your friend(s)?

      Delete