Friday, September 18, 2020

Free Stuff Friday: Anniversary Edition

Does anyone still care about the Free Stuff Fridays? They seem to have fallen out of fashion in recent months, but I suppose they are, or were, no different than any other trend in that regard, here today, and gone tomorrow.

Speaking of "tomorrow", tomorrow is this blog's fifth anniversary, and while it's not as impressive as some runs, it's not nothing either, and I'd kind of like to do something to celebrate. 

Ideally I would've liked to have done something where I could have given away an unopened box, or something along those lines, but with box prices being what they are these days, that option just isn't doable for me, and the only other thing that I can think of is to do a FSF, so hopefully no one will mind if I beat a dead trend.

I announced (sort of) that I'd be doing this last Friday, thinking that I'd have a week to spend looking for some better things, but that didn't work out so well, I should've known! It was discovered last Saturday morning that something was really amiss in the laundry room, a pipe leaking behind the wall was the initial thought, a pipe that probably had been leaking for months. I had my doubts about this, and instead suspected that the washer had been leaking (probably for months), with the water going under the wall. To make a long story short, some people came out to look at the situation, and to give an estimate. There estimate ended up being $1,600, and that only going to cover them ripping out part of the wall, diagnosing the problem (but not fixing it), and possibly coming back to do any non-plumbing repairs, well, that is unless the damage was too extensive (they didn't specify what would be too extensive), then it would cost considerably more.

Seeing as how $1,600 is a lot of money, I decided to try and figure out what's what on my own. I started by taking off the saturated baseboard, then removed a section of drywall that was about 6'x3', as well as some insulation. The good news was that it wasn't a leaking pipe. The bad news that it was the washer (which now that it's pulled away from the wall, can be seen dripping from multiple areas), and it has likely been dripping for awhile, meaning that it's been soaking into the wall for awhile, also a new washer is going to be needed. I've started carefully removing tiles as well, in order to check the condition of the sub-floor. The big dehumidifier from the garage has been moved in there to dry everything out, and then I can hopefully figure out just how bad it is. There is some mold, which the people that came out tried to capitalize on, you know the whole "black mold can kill you with just one look" thing, but it's not nearly as bad as it looked like it was going to be. None of this kind of stuff is my specialty, so it's probably been taking much longer to do than it would a more knowledgeable person, and since I do have other commitments (work), I've had to spend more time with this than I would've wanted (especially with trying to save the tiles), which has meant that I haven't had as much time to look for cards as I would've liked.

Anyways, I know that you didn't come here to read a rejected script from This Old House, you came here for the free stuff. Since it's a special edition and all, I did, as already mentioned, want to find some nicer things to give away, but not too nice that I'd feel uncomfortable about sending the things via PWE. Whether I succeeded or not in finding "good" stuff during what turned out to be a very limited amount of time to look, will of course be up to you. Most of the normal rules apply, although this time you will be limited to just one item, that way hopefully anyone who's interested will have a chance to get something. Although if I failed in my attempt to pick out things that people want, and there isn't much interest, I will pop back on sometime Saturday and allow folks to pick another item if they want. I also wouldn't mind if the prize hounds decided to sit this one out (hint, hint), but longtime lurkers are more than welcome to participate (c'mon, show yourself!).

Oh, and as usual, if I don't have your address, or you don't think that I have your address, please, please, send it in an email to jtef82@gmail.com, I really hate trying to track people down.

I think that about does it, so here's the stuff...

Gary Carter rookie. obviously there's a little wear, no creases though. Update: Claimed.

1998 Stadium Club One of a Kind, numbered to /150. Mike's a Brewer here if that helps. Card will be sent with considerably less dust on it. Update: Claimed.

SP Candy Cane bat variation. Update: Claimed.

2004 Fleer Greats blue SP, numbered to /79. Has some edge wear. Update: Claimed.

1995 JSW. These can be sort of hard to find.

1961 Golden Press. Joe has a small wrinkle. Update: Carl has been claimed.

1949 Bowman Emil Verban, has a few wrinkles. The '50 Bowman Al Papai has a few small wrinkles, and fellow Red Sock, Earl Johnson, has more noticeable crease to the right of his face. Update: All three have been claimed.

All three of these are in pretty good shape (the scuff on Hinton isn't very noticeable in person), please excuse the overlapping penny sleeves.

1963 Jello. Bob has a few problems. Update: Bob has been claimed.

1963 Fleer. No creases. Update: Both have been claimed.

HITZ! 2003 Fleer Hardball Round Trippers. Soriano is numbered to /228, and Berkman is to /557.

More HITZ! I can't remember which year this Heritage Real One Autograph is from. Update: Claimed.

I'm not sure this qualifies as something "good" or not, but it is a '55 Topps (white back) with no creases, so... Update: Claimed.

Teddy has a couple of minor bits of missing paper around the edge. Update: Claimed.

I don't have a lot of newer "nice" baseball, but I did find these two. The 2014 Beltran is numbered to /63 (minor edge wear), and Joc is I believe a Prism Refractor. Update: Both have been claimed.

1954 Bowman Billy Howton rookie. Has some ink on the lower portion of the card. Update: Claimed.

2014 SAGE Ed Stinson cyan printing plate.

some low numbered football. Shawn Jefferson is a 1999 Prism Premiere Date parallel. Not sure about the year on (I already put the cards away) Carlos Hyde, but he is #'d to /25. And the Payne to /50 rookie is from the 2015 Tek set.

2012 Panini Black Friday magenta Progressions (I'll keep the dust). These are limited to just five copies of each color.

1987-88 Fleer. Rally clean card, sharp corners too. Update: Claimed.

1999-00 UD Ultimate Victory Ultimate Collection parallels. Numbered to /100, these were not an easy pull way back when.

Reggie can't believe that he's being offered up for free. Update: Claimed.

2013 Panini Black Friday Score Hot Rookies black Progressions. Limited to five copies.

Low numbered 2014-15 Prizm. Hairston is to /25, and The Jet is to /49.

1933 Goudey Indian Gum. Has a few problems, including minor paper loss on front (white spots on face), and the back (doesn't interfere with the write-up), but how often does one of these come up for free? Update: Claimed.

1952 Topps Look N' See. Some corner wear, but no creases. Dolly has a small tear on the lower right of the card. Update: Dolly and Thomas have been claimed.

So what do you think, anything of interest?

And before I go, I think it goes without saying, but I'd like to say it anyway; I really appreciate anyone who's ever clicked on a post, or taken the time to leave a comment. I don't do this for me, it's all about the interaction, and if that wasn't there, I wouldn't be here. And of course to everyone who I've ever exchanged cards (and the occasional toy) with, or who I've interacted with away from the blog; it's been all my pleasure to have had the opportunity to interact with you in a more meaningful way, and I very much hope that we'll be able to continue to do so for many more years to come.

Okay, I'm done, feel free to pick a card!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

88 comments:

  1. Happy blogoversary! I had a similar thing with the pipes in my basement recently - that's no fun at all. Can I take the '49 Bowman Verban? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how many people seem to be having problems in their basements, I'm kind of glad that I don't have one... well, that's a lie, I do wish that I had one, as basements are awesome! I got you down for Emil.

      Delete
  2. 1. Sorry about the washer situation but good for you trying to work on it yourself!
    2. Congrats on five years and here's to more!
    3. Sorry I don't comment much but I do read all the time and I hope you keep up the blog as long as it's fun for you.
    4. May I please claim the Matheny One of a Kind? I'm sure I can put together another envelope for you at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Thanks. I'm reasonably confident that I can replace the drywall, and re-lay the tiles myself. Things will get a little trickier if any studs, or any part of the sub-floor, have to be replaced.

      2. Thank you!

      3. That's okay, I'm sure that you've got other stuff going on.

      4. He's all yours! I'm sure that you could too, but it really isn't necessary :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, very cool stuff! Could I claim the 1933 Goudey Indian Gum?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar laundry room adventure not long ago. It turned out better than I hoped, so maybe yours will too. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. All yours!

      I suppose it's possible, but luck has not been on my side in recent years.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sorry about your leak. We've had some home repair items this summer. Not the most fun.

      Delete
    2. I'm disappointed, I was expecting you to just say "Free stuff!" :) Joc's yours.

      I guess this is one of those things that everyone can relate to, kind of like car troubles *knocks on wood desk* I suppose.

      Delete
    3. Ha. I was expecting a hockey post.

      Delete
    4. I've only ever done a couple of those. Baseball's on tap for tomorrow (provided that I can get the post done in time), so hopefully that'll make up for the no hockey post.

      Delete
  5. The 50 Bowman Papai is speaking to me. Thanks! Home repairs are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yeah, they really suck! Hopefully you'll be able to hear him a little better once he's in hand :)

      Delete
  6. I'll put in for the 1954 Bowman Billy Howton rookie.
    Few years ago, I had an upstairs shower that was leaking into the lower level. Had to tear out old shower, clean up everything and build a new one. The joys of home ownership!!
    Happy Blog Anniversary!! Thanks again (will send address)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds terrible! That's one of those deals where you could've had to replace flooring and ceiling. Definitely puts my problem into perspective. Thank for the well wishes, and I got you down for Billy.

      Delete
    2. Wasn't to bad. Ceiling still waiting for repair. That will be part of the renovation of that room when the funds for remodeling increase. The Baseball Card Room came first this year. ;0)

      Delete
    3. That's good to here. And at least we know that you've got your priorities straight :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the great vintage Packer card of Bill Howton!!!

      Delete
  7. 1. Sorry to hear about the washer. I've been dealing with a leaky roof myself.
    2. Happy Anniversary! Congrats on 5 years of fun posts!
    3. I'll claim the Ted Williams card, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Ugh, that's even worse! I hope you were able to catch it early, and that is/was only a small repair.

      2. Thank you!

      3. You got it.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! And leaks are the worst. Albie Pearson please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes they're no fun at all. Albie's all yours!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful selection. DK beat me to the Goudey. I had MANY of these but sold them in 2001 or so. Thought I was done collecting. They were in NICE condition too. One of the few things I kick myself for parting with. I could give Dolly M a home in my presidential collection where wives count too. So glad you are here celebrating an anniversary, soggy though it may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more unwanted "Indian's", so you may still see one (or more) yet. I got you down for Dolly in the meantime though. I got rid of a few things during the ten years that I wasn't collecting that I kind of wish I hadn't too, but like you, I didn't think that I was ever going to be coming back to card collecting.

      Delete
  10. The cards I would have claimed are gone, so I'll just congratulate you on 5 years and sympathize with your water issues. That's always a huge pain and expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting anyway, Trevor! I'd prefer that no one go away empty handed, so I'll find something to make up for your choices being picked before you could get here.

      Delete
  11. Happy Anniversary! May I claim the Carter RC?

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the longevity! Home ownership definitely is a challenge. I see someone beat me to the Gary Carter, so whatever basketball you have left, I would gladly claim especially the Theus autograph. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be down for the '63 Fleer Jim Kaat if it's still available. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim will be on his way to you later this week.

      Delete
  14. May I claim the Hal Brown? Thanks and happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very happy blog-o-versary to you! Seems like a lot of bloggers are celebrating anniversaries/milestones lately, and it's great to see. And I'd love that Kingman if it's still around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a lot lately, hasn't there? And Dave is all yours.

      Delete
  16. Ha. I probably qualify as a prize hound, so I'll sit this round out.

    Congrats on sticking around for five years.

    Hope you get everything taken care of without spending an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You comment way too much to be a prize hound. You're more than welcome to participate in this giveaway, and any future offerings.

      Delete
  17. Happy Anniversary, wishing you many more.
    I’d love to add the 1955 Topps Bob Keegan to my collection.
    Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 5 more years! We just re-did the driveway today, that was not cheap either. The joys of homeownership! I don't need any free cards just wanted to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've got 5 more in me, and from what we've seen from Blogger lately, I don't know if it's got 5 more in it. I appreciate you stopping by, Brad!

      Delete
  19. Happy Anniversary! I’ve never participated before. So I just ask for a card? The Isaiah Thomas is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you just claim your card. I put you down for Isaiah, but if that's not what you wanted, I can change it.

      Delete
    2. Awesome. That is perfect. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Got the card. Thanks a ton. Have a thank you post ready for Tuesday!

      Delete
  20. Happy fifth. You're the opposite of me, I do blog for me, I need it. The interaction is secondary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I go through periods of enjoying blogging just blogging's sake, the last month or so has been pretty good, but I work pretty much alone, and have no social life, so more often than not, my only real interactions with people are through the blogs.

      Delete
  21. We had a leaking pipe in our kitchen a few years ago, which I noticed when I could see the mold on the wall. Our homeowner's insurance covered the drywall and mold and all that, which was about 90% of it; we only had to pay to actually fix the pipe.

    Congratulations on the blogiversary! My third was a couple of months ago, when I was between posts.

    I've never heard of the Golden Press set. You don't have to send me one, it's just nice to learn something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happened here too, saw the mold, and realized that there had to be a problem. I don't know if insurance would cover a leaking washer, and if possible, I'd prefer not to get them involved. Although if things end up being worse than I think, I might have to look into it.

      And a happy belated 3rd anniversary to you!

      No one has claimed either yet, so you're more than welcome to grab one if you want.

      Delete
  22. Happy Anniversary! I'd like to have the Bob Skinner if it's not been claimed. Thanks! David

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on 5 years! I'd like the 1950 Bowman Earl Johnson if it's not claimed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Since I'm late to the party and the one card that I'd want is claimed, I'll just say congratulations on 5 years! I'm still plugging away at mine too.. I just lose track of all milestones lol
    I think we have some mold in our bathroom. Might even be the black stuff.. Might be why I'm having so many breathing issues lately.. Should get it cleaned..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see if I can find you something good too, a consolation prize if you will, for that missed card.

      A little mold doesn't usually bother people too much, but it would probably be a good idea to clean it up, it certainly wouldn't hurt you to do so.

      Delete
    2. It's been there for a while.. Plus it's not the first time it's happened there.. The breathing issues have been recent, so.. Thinking I should get it cleaned up..

      Delete
    3. Well, get on it then. It's only going to get worse!

      Delete
  25. Man, I can't believe some of these items are still unclaimed! I'd love to get the Beltrán (it might be a Yankee card, but he's still a Mets icon) and those two Golden Press cards if I could. Thanks!

    Here's to the next 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when everyone is being limited to just one item. I've got you down for the Beltran, but could change it if you want something else.

      We'll see!

      Delete
    2. D'oh! Sorry for my lack of reading comprehension! Yes, the Beltrán will be just fine, thanks!

      Delete
  26. Happy Blogiversary. I believe my 6th one passed without me noticing (same as the 5th one). I don't make my way around much these days but I plan on it again soon.

    Despite the setbacks, I enjoyed reading the This Old House section. Sounds like you saved a lot of money by doing it yourself so far, hopefully you'll catch some breaks.

    If I can, could I claim the Carl Hubbell card. He was born in Carthage, MO and I like to include people from Missouri in one of my collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated 5th and 6th anniversaries then! It'll be good to see you posting on a more regular basis again, whenever that may be :)

      Yeah, that was the plan, especially since there isn't a lot of money to go around for such things at the moment. If the sub-floor ends up being okay, things won't be too bad. The only real cost would be the replacement drywall, which'll probably be around $30. Of course a new washer, or in this case, a gently used washer, will cost a little bit, but it is doable.

      You sure can, I'm gonna need your address though?

      Delete
  27. I'm sorry about your wall, Jon, but do want to hear more about the giant dehumidifier. 😁

    If I could claim the Yelich, that would be swell. I work about 2 blocks away from where he went to high school. I just had jury duty with his middle school Principal. She said she saw him recently and gave him crap about appearing in the ESPN "Body Issue."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm sitting down right now, so I can't see what model it is, but if you care enough (I know, you're being facetious), I could DM you info later. It is really great though, during the summer it pulls 4-5 gallons of water (caused by high humidity) out of the garage on a daily basis.

      It's all yours. That's something, hopefully that isn't that woman's only claim to fame, seems like just being a principle would be more impressive.

      Delete
  28. If I could have the Thomas Paine please. I am planning on doing some more free stuff days next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's all yours. Given how popular your free stuff posts were, I'm sure that a lot of people will be glad to hear that they're coming back.

      Delete
  29. Congratulations on five years here, Jon! And kudos to you for spurning that $1,600 estimate and taking care of the leak/washer investigation yourself. I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's amazing what you can do when you don't have the money to pay others to do it for you.

      Delete
  30. Happy anniversary! Sorry to hear about the leaky washer... but I love that you threw out the tv show... This Old House. I used to watch that show with my mom when I was younger and hadn't thought about it until seeing this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, I used to watch it with my mom too. Must be popular with the mom crowd.

      Delete
  31. Happy 5th anniversary, well belated at this point, keep up the good work buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm super late to the party, but if there were no takers on those 1965 Topps Embossed cards, I'm interested in any/all of them.

    I'm probably going to do some more free Fridays at some point soon. The main thing holding me back right now is the incredible increase in price in card supplies, which makes my usual methods of shipping in PWEs insanely expensive all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one else was interested in them, and I do owe you a return package, so I'll just add them to the other stuff that I've found for you so far.

      I've been fortunate in that the shop where I buy most of my supplies hasn't hiked up the prices on anything... yet! Plus too, I have a fairly large supply of used supplies (toploaders, team bags, etc.) that I can use for shipping, so for the time being I can keep doing the PWE thing. The 'temporary' postal increase that's coming up though, may see me decreasing the amount of bubble mailers I send out for a bit.

      Delete
  33. Is the Scott Padgett Ultimate Victory still available?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for doing this. Is the Henry VIII still available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I'll need an email (it's up in the post) with your address though.

      Delete