Thursday, September 24, 2020

Outgoing mail // Making friends in unlikely places

First off, I'm happy to report that Operation: Send Out Free Stuff, is fully underway, as all but three claims from last Friday's post were mailed out yesterday morning. Of the three that weren't sent, one will be added to a larger package, and the other two are destined for our neighbor to the North. I thought I had a few more of those Canada global stamps, but apparently I didn't, so those two envelopes will have to wait until Friday or Saturday, when I will be in the vicinity of a post office again. Thanks again to everyone who participated.


Despite it still being a little early to do so, I ventured out into the woods this past Sunday to do some bottle hunting, and after having not done so for over six months, I gotta say... it was really nice!

Tick season has passed, and with the weather starting to cool off (much faster than I would like), snakes (of the venomous variety) are becoming less of a threat, but running in to them is still a possibility, especially in areas where they can soak up sun. Knowing the risk, I decided to, well, risk it anyway. The urge to get back out there was just too much.

I didn't get too crazy though, I just went to an area that I know very well, it's one that I've been to many times over the last couple of years. The creek was relatively low (to my knees or less), so to minimize the chance of encountering any unfriendly serpents, I traveled via the water for most of the way, only going on land to go around some deep pools.

I'm sure that most of you already know this, but you really can't go anywhere on this planet without encountering human refuse, and this area is no different. Of course this is an area the floods multiple times a year, which is part of the reason that it's such a good spot to look for bottles (the sediment is always being stirred up), but it also makes for a garbage catch-all. Since I'm all too familiar with this fact, I always bring a couple of plastic grocery bags with me, and try to pick up as much trash as possible. It was while venturing up on land to pick up a plastic Gatorade bottle, that I encountered the fellow above [Note: I didn't turn this cutie over to see what sex they were, but for the sake of ease, will continue to refer to them as 'him'].


This is an Eastern Box Turtle, they are not rare, and supposedly are quite common in Tennessee, but this guy just so happens to be the first living one that I've seen. I've found probably half a dozen empty, and often sun bleached, shells over the last five years or so, but up until Sunday, hadn't been fortunate enough to find one with it's occupant still inside.

My encountering him was just fluke too, if I hadn't gone ashore to get that bottle, then decided to look around for any other garbage, more specifically on the other side of a pile of branches/logs (flood pile), I wouldn't have seen him, cause that's where he was, basking in the sun on the other side of that pile.

This angle makes him look like he's only got one eye, but I can assure you that both were present.
I've encountered a number of other turtles/tortoises in recent years, but as mentioned, I hadn't seen one of these, and because of that, I never looked into the peculiars of their species; but now have.

Apparently the species is now listed as 'vulnerable', as are quite a few other turtle species around the world. The Eastern Box turtles are very slow, which makes it very difficult for them to successfully cross roads, and also makes them susceptible to farming equipment as well. They're a slow breeding species too, only laying 1-9 eggs a year (when they can find a mate), and with so few eggs, the odds of babies reaching adulthood is drastically reduced. But like most vulnerable and endangered species around the world these days, the biggest threat is China, yeah that China, the one who's systematically raping the planet, and either ignoring, or paying off, any and all opposition.

For all intensive purposes, China has wiped out their entire turtle population, and is now doing the same to everyone else's. Although for once the biggest threat isn't coming from a bunch of limp-d*cked businessmen attempting to regain their 'vigor' through the consumption of an endangered species, no, instead it's China's booming exotic pet trade that's behind the decline. There are poachers around the world who are looking to satisfy China's need for exotic animals, and unfortunately the U.S. is no exception. We've got quite the black market here, and one of their biggest "sellers" is turtles. Seeing as how very few people care about such things, this problem is likely to continue to get worse, and will probably continue to go unchecked (for the most part) until it's too late. [Note: Normally I'd apologize to anyone who's 'offended' by my anti-Chinese rhetoric, but this one instance where I won't, as this is one of the few things that gets under my skin, and I honestly don't give two sh*ts about the people who are bothered by it]

I hadn't planned on ever mentioning it here, but since I'm talking about turtles, I might as well tell one other quick story as well.

I think it was on a night back in June, where I was going down to check the mail kind of late, it was still light, but the mail was just being checked later than normal. Anyway, I was almost to the road when I noticed something that stood out considerably when compared to the gravel in the driveway. It was clearly a baby turtle, and from the angle it was at on the rocks, I thought it was dead, possibly run over by me earlier in the day. Thankfully my near-instant heartache over the possibility of having accidently run over a baby turtle was quickly alleviated when it started moving as I got closer.

There was no water in the direction that it was headed, and with darkness approaching, the odds were slim that it would survive the night, what with all of the four-footed buggers (raccoons, opossums, etc.) that come out of the woods at night. Heck, it was minor miracle that the baby hadn't already been picked off by a crow or blue jay. The nearest bit of water was the creek on the other side of the front yard, but at the time, that water was much too deep for this little thing, and I wasn't about to head into the woods right before dark, so there was really only one thing to do, find something to keep him (see, I did it again) overnight, and then find a spot to release him the next day.

I rarely throw anything away, so making a quick enclosure proved to be rather easy, I just grabbed an clear plastic vegetable drawer from an old refrigerator, went to the waterway in the backyard - which was dried up at the time - got some small pea gravel, a couple of bigger flat rocks, arranged them accordingly, and added water. It turned out to be a nice little setup for something that was thrown together in just a couple of minutes, it had everything a baby turtle could want (minus the freedom), a deeper spot to swim, and rocks that tapered up to a little land area. I didn't think to take any pictures at the time, but I've since cleaned everything and have it stored away just in case this ever happens again, and of course if it does, I will definitely take pictures.

After putting the baby in it's temporary enclosure, the only other thing to do was to try and find some food, especially since there was no way of knowing how long it had been traveling, or how long it had been since it last ate. The only thing that could be found on such short notice were some small wood grubs. Apparently those were acceptable though, as the baby ate a couple of them right away.

I fed the baby again in the morning, who at this point, wasn't too happy about it's enclosure, he was actively trying to swim through the wall. Seeing as how it was smack in the middle of snake and tick season, I wasn't too keen on going into the woods (I usually don't go in them during the summer), but the baby had to be put somewhere where the water wasn't too deep, and wasn't fast moving, and there's only one spot like that within walking distance, so I put on my knee boots, and set off around 9am to release him (it was a day off).

Like this past weekend, in an effort to minimize my chances of running into any snakes, I traveled mostly by water. It took about twenty minutes to get there, and when I did, the baby couldn't get out of the transport bucket quick enough, but before it could, I had to get one picture...


Now I ask you, how adorable is that? Size-wise, I'd say that he was smaller than a silver dollar, but was easily twice as active. I knew what kind of turtle this was at the time, but have since forgotten, and Google is proving to be of no help at all right now, so until I figure it out again, I'm just gonna say that it's a turtle, of the cute as a button variety. 

The same photo, but now zoomed in.
A few seconds after this picture was taken, he was gone, swam off towards, and then under some vegetation. I stayed for a minutes afterwards, long enough to see him come up once for air, and then I headed home. And I'm not going to lie, even though I don't own any pets, nor do I want to own any pets, I sure miss this little guy, even more so now that I'm thinking about him again.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

34 comments:

  1. Cool stuff! We don't have much like those turtles around here, at least in the areas I frequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall ever seeing a turtle in Vancouver, plenty of coyotes though. The last place I lived there was sort of on the edge of an urban area, and while there wasn't anything too exotic around, we did see bald, and golden, eagles on an almost daily basis; which was pretty cool.

      Delete
  2. The box fellow is a handsome specimen. What a neat thing to see during your excursion. That you take time to pick up refuse and care for nature is cool to me. Saving a baby turtle - makes my heart happy. I would've done it too. I don't see many up here in Michigan. In Oklahoma, I'd see bigger turtles (hamburger size??) in the road often and never hesitated to pull over to help them cross. I love your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he (or she) was full sized too. I wish there would've been a way for me to tell how old they were, especially since they can live upwards of a hundred years (it isn't common though). As far as picking up garbage and taking care of wayward babies goes, well, that's just the way I'm wired, I couldn't not do it if I tried. I do wish more people would do the same though, of course I wish they'd stop littering so much too, but other then pick up after them, there really isn't anything else I can do about it. I've come upon a few turtles that had just successfully crossed roads, but my mom stopped to help more than a few who were just starting to cross. I've also seen plenty that weren't so lucky, especially last year during the drought, it was pretty awful.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen a lot of turtles, if any. Squirrels or chipmunks (never sure which) and tiny lizards are common around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chipmunks! There are some in the woods by the house, but they don't ever venture out thanks to our very healthy hawk population. We've got a couple of species of skinks (small lizards) here too, I'm curious if that's what you're referring to?

      Delete
    2. I have a chipmunk living in my garage. I fear it's built a nest in one of my Christmas boxes. Should be interesting come Thanksgiving when I bring these into the house. "Christmas Vacation" has been on my mind all week.

      Delete
    3. Might be a good idea to get it out before then, otherwise it might not be amongst the living come Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. That's really cool. The only place I know of in Portland to find turtles in the wild is Laurelhurst Park. There's often a row of them sunbathing on a log in the weird man-made pond. Unfortunately, they're not really close enough to land to be able to appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's been so long since I've been there, that I've either forgotten that there were turtles there, or maybe I just never knew in the first place. Laurelhurst Park wasn't a place that I ever spent much time at, now Forest Park on the other hand...

      Delete
  5. Very cool. The snakes would not be something I'd be ok with!

    We have a few park lakes and such and last year I donated to the creation of a wooden float that was placed a few feet out in the water. A bunch of turtles (no idea what kind) use it for sunbathing. My kids always enjoy looking at it when we walk the path at the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the non-venomous ones, but we've got three kinds of venomous ones here, two of which you really wouldn't want to run into.

      That's really neat. You're helping the turtles, and contributing to your children's happiness (probably other peoples children as well), way to go pops!

      Delete
  6. Plenty of turtles down this way. When I was a kid, I was told people would put hooks under their cars to snag the gopher turtles. Turns out as an adult I found out that people really did do that. They made turtle soup. Just doesn't sound appetizing to me. Seen some crazy stuff in the south like "swamp cabbage" too. YUK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really terrible! Even if I wanted to, I could never eat a turtle, they can carry a lot of really nasty parasites, and if not cooked properly, those little buggers can wreak absolute havoc on the human body; definitely not a risk that I'd be willing to take.

      Delete
  7. Ticks were awful here this year. Glad it has come to that point where they wont be anymore.

    Great story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They started early here this year, and seemed like they were going to be bad, but outside of the first month, they ended up being pretty non-existent. On the flipside though, they were absolutely terrible last year (we had a drought combined with an indian summer), so I can sympathize.

      Delete
  8. Either last year or the year before, I had a student with a "Save the Turtle" hoodie. I always assumed it had to do with sea turtles and the tendency to get caught in the plastic six-pack rings floating around the ocean. Didn't realize people are hunting them for "that" reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poor sea turtles are being threatened six ways to Sunday. When you see or hear about all of the things that are contributing to their demise, it really makes you wonder how they've been able to stick around this long.

      Delete
  9. Great write-up! Lots of turtles in NY, but you have to look. Except in Turtle Pond in Central Park NYC. There are hundreds of turtles if not more that are easily viewable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had never heard of that place, now I'm gonna have to go look it up.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed your turtle adventures! Your care for your environment is respectable and I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do what I can, when I can. My primary goal with nature is to always try and leave it better than I found it.

      Delete
  11. Turtles!

    Good on you for helping out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jon Pennysleeves: Turtle Rescuer. Is it too early to start discussing the TV series? I'd watch an episode or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I do have a YouTube channel, and it is in desperate need of fresh content...

      Delete
  13. This is where I wish I could insert the I Like Turtles kid meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is where I'm glad that you can't :)

      Delete
  14. Cool, I love helping the turtles. They sure struggle a lot when out of the water. Great save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have their troubles, not quite as bad as a fish out of water, but still...

      Delete
  15. I love turtles. Long ago when classrooms were allowed to have pets, I had two red ear sliders. They were great because they were less active the louder the classroom got, more active if they kids were calm and quiet. We'd also find them worms and bugs outside for them to eat. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have pets in classrooms anymore? I know that up until middle school, all my classrooms had pets, although the only ones that I can remember are the Madagascar hissing cockroaches that we had in second grade, I didn't much care for those!

      Delete
    2. It is strongly discouraged. There are a few people who get away with things like a single goldfish, but that's generally about it. I will say though, that the administrators do not walk the building this year for the sake of social distancing. One of my co-workers lives on a dairy farm and found a pregnant cat in her barn. She kept two of the kittens and has been raising them, which has included bring them into school. They are in a giant Rubber Maid container while she teaches, when we get a break they are the therapy animals of our grade level.

      Delete
    3. Kitten therapy... I love it! I guess not having pets in the classroom is just another one of those things that's falling by the wayside. It's probably good for the animals, but I would have to assume that's it's less so for the kids, especially those that live in animal-free households.

      Delete