Sunday, September 13, 2020

Is this thing on?


If there's three things that I've learned from my years of blogging, it's that a). People go wild for basketball card posts, b). "Look what I got" posts generate more comments than any other kind of post, and c). Analytically speaking, there is no better day of the week to publish a post on than Sunday... Sundays are absolute money!


So it's with this great insight that I'm presenting part 2 of my order from the Baseball Card Store...


I received an unexpected package from Kerry a few weeks ago (which I of course haven't gotten to yet), in it was, well, a lot of stuff, but one of the main attractions was around 40 or so cards of Uncle Cliffy. I've been focusing quite a bit on Cliff in recent months (mostly just picking up rare-ish items on COMC), so I found this package to be rather timely, and believe it or not, was the impetus for my finally giving the Baseballcardstore a whirl.


Most of my card stuffs are currently covered in, or are blocked by, toys, but having just recently finished sorting all of my basketball cards, I had a pretty good idea of what I currently own, and now with a new unsorted stack of Cliff's in hand, I decided to see if the site had anything of his that I didn't. They did. Around 15 cards I'd say, which not surprisingly ended up leading to a much larger order.

I don't normally chase early 2000's stuff, but with me not collecting at the time, I'm finding that I need (or want) an awful lot of cards from that particular era, so it was nice to be able to find some of them listed on the site. The SP Authentic is a really nice card, but the Finest sure looks snazzy in person (side note: I'm glad that Topps stopped using those dumb peels at some point).

Oh, and just for the record, Kerry's package arrived about two weeks before Cliff's passing, and my order was finalized a little over a week after that.


Since I was already looking up one Blazer, I figured that I might as well search for a few more of my past favorites. I already had the '89-90 Fleer (it's in a set), but needed another one for the Kersey collection.


Found a cool trio of Buck's too! It's hard to tell from the bad scan, but the Metal is a Silver Spotlight, which is something that I never see in the wild anymore, and haven't for a long time.


One of the other things in the package from Kerry (geez, I really should've done that post first!) was a pair of 1994-95 Pacific Crown Collection Dan Majerle's, a set that I never even knew existed! Other than the fact that the set contains twenty cards, I still really don't know anything about it. I'm terribly curious to know how it was distributed, seems like it would've been done so as a set, but I could also see them coming in 2-3 card cellophane packs as well.


More Thunder Dan. He's another one that I've been focusing more on in recent months, basically all of my childhood favorites are being bumped up in the collecting hierarchy, something that I should've done much sooner, but dumb me, I had to be wasting all of these years working on sets, sets that somewhere in the back of my mind I had to of known were never going to get finished.


I have a lot of Shawn Kemp's, and with him I couldn't remember what I did and didn't have, at least as far as the base cards go. These three were he only ones that I was absolutely sure of.


Ditto for Stock. Like Kemp, I have a lot of his cards, all of which are in a binder that would've been difficult to get to, so I had sort of guess on these.


David Robinson gets almost no hobby love (these kids today don't know anything), so it wasn't a surprise to see a couple of pages of his cards on the site.


There aren't a lot of inserts to be had on the site, at least not that I've seen, but I did find one in the form of this 1996-97 UD Choice Miniatures, a card that I thought that I already had at least one of (but wouldn't have minded more of), turns out that I didn't though.


Holy horizontal grandmamambo's, Batman! Yeah, I know, I'll see myself out (you know in your heart of hearts that it was a pretty clever LJ reference though).

Hopefully the few of you who actually made this far today, were able to find a few things of interest. In case you hadn't figured it out at the beginning, posts like these, on this day of the week, are akin to blogger suicide -- but I don't mind playing to the ghost town crowd, it sort of serves as a voluntary humbling, which I believe all of us are in need of from time to time.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

20 comments:

  1. Have a comment, it is Sunday after all! Seriously, you gotta get back out here and go through all my old junk, there are probably a few cards in there you might want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love too, but unfortunately I really can't imagine any kind of scenario where I'd ever be back home again. Things just keep getting worse there, and part of the reason I finally left was to get away from all of that... I'm just getting too old for all of that drama!

      Delete
  2. Several Thoughts:

    1. I am glad you are posting again. I know you had a break in there at some point this summer you had taken a break. I enjoy your blog and your posts. I need to go back and catch up on what I have missed.

    2. I don't even collect basketball cards (well hardly) and I will always click on a basketball card post. They are always fun.

    3. I was sad to hear of Cliff's passing. He was the first UConn player I remember back when the Big East was always loaded. I grew up in the Midwest, but I remember watching games with Syracuse, Georgetown, St. John's, Providence, Villanova, etc, etc. Always great players and great basketball.

    4. Dan Majerle looks ridiculous in that Cavs uni

    5. When I was a sophomore in high school, I bought a copy of The Best of the Specials. My tastes in music have changed over the years. I get tired of different bands/records, at some point I "rediscover" them, or get in the mood for it again. I think that Specials CD is one of the few that I have never grown tired or put off in CD purgatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Thank you, that's kind of you to say. And don't worry about going back, you haven't missed anything important, I imagine that most of it's already dated, and no longer worth reading.

      2. That's good to know.

      3. Other than clips, I never saw him in college. Growing up in Portland though, I did see an awful lot of him through the first half of his career. He and Jerome Kersey are my two all-time favorite Blazers.

      4. I never liked the idea of him in Cleveland.

      5. I can remember finding their "The Singles" on cassette in a bargain bin at Fred Meyer (grocery store) in/or around 1995. I also found, and got, a heavy metal compilation from that bin on the same trip as well. It was a good day! I still have the Specials album, but the Metal compilation is long since gone.

      Delete
  3. Voting for the Impact Stockton. Edges out the Ultra David Robinson.

    I probably do too many acquisition posts. But I've tried other types and the interest hasn't been there to justify the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most blog posts are of the "look what I got" variety, some are just a little more dressed up than others.

      Delete
  4. I read all your posts, even basketball. The sounds of their sneakers on the hardwoods is akin to nails on a chalkboard for me. I've tried but do not care for basketball - outside 70s Globetrotters. So good to see you posting, any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have some baseball coming up soon, maybe even two posts worth next week, so hopefully that'll make up for the icky basketball posts :)

      Delete
  5. I can't remember the last time I posted on a Sunday. Maybe I should give it a shot. As for basketball... I don't collect, but I enjoy keeping up with what's interesting since I'm sitting on a ton of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that Sundays would be okay for you.

      Delete
  6. I love "Ghost Town". It's one of the many great songs I hear on Roq of the 80's (on radio.com).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to admit, I've never been a basketball fan. I remember one dealer telling me - "There's a reason they're called baseball card shows, not basketball cards shows." That said, my street vendor buddy probably sells almost as much basketball as he does baseball. Sells more Pokemon than both sports, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but these days basketball is king, at shows and everywhere else. And as long as China's influence continues to grow, so will the sports popularity (which ironically will further the already downward incline in product quality).

      Delete
  8. I had never seen or heard of that Dan Majerle set before, but during pandemic boredom I bought a bunch of repack basketball cards online from Canada (the site buckstorecards uses) and those two Majerles fell out.

    RIP Cliff. It's incredibly sad that so many players have already passed from that great Blazers team of my high school years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever post about those repacks? I don't remember you mentioning them before.

      There is no other team from that era (or since) that's lost so many players. It doesn't make any sense either, I mean they were all good people, one would think that if a bunch of guys from a team were gonna have to go early, maybe pick a jerky team, the Pistons had a whole mess of them!

      Delete
  9. My weekend posts are the worst viewed lol. Weekdays is where its at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one ended up doing pretty well, but I think that people did that just to spite me :)

      Delete