Sunday, September 20, 2020

Pack Sampling: 2020 Topps Series 2 baseball (Dollar Tree packs)

  
Before jumping into today's post, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who stopped by on Friday (and Saturday), I'm very grateful to you for doing so. Now that that's out of the way...

I couldn't tell you why exactly, but ever since the Rona started up, my trips to the Dollar Tree have increased ten-fold. Coincidentally, me purchasing cheap crap in recent months has also increased ten-fold. Whether or not today's item falls under the "cheap crap" header will be left up to you to decide, because I don't really know.

I've been hitting up the Dollar Tree, or as the kids call it, the DT, at least once week for months now, and sometimes even twice a week. This is due partly to me finally figuring out which day the new items get put out (it's Tuesday at this particular location), as well as the fact that it was one of the few places that was open there during quarantine. Everything's been opened back up for months now, and yet I still keep going. I think at this point it's more about it having become a habit more than anything else.

It must've been about two weeks ago now that I stopped in on a Monday, then found myself headed in that direction again on Wednesday, and figured that I might as well stop and see if anything new had been put out the day before. There had been a few things put out, but the only one that you'll care about is the baseball cards. In the card area that had had only Fortnite cards (they've been there pretty much all year) two days before, now had a feeder box (I believe that's what they're called) of 2020 Topps series 2. I don't know how many packs come in those things, but there was only about seven of them left, meaning that quite a few had sold in a very short amount of time. I bought three.

It's no secret that I don't care much for current sports happenings, I don't watch games, and only read the occasional recap (I do see plenty of whiny tweets though). I only really care about a couple of current athletes, and that's primarily because I like them as people, more so than because of whatever they're doing in their chosen sport. And unless it's loaded with past greats, I rarely have any interest current card sets. You might be asking yourself then why I would bother buying three packs of something that'd probably end up having nothing of interest to me in them? Easy, I did it for you... and the blog!

A lot of people have been rather upset over the inability to find retail cards since we got the Rona, so the thought was that maybe I'd get lucky and pull three packs worth of good stuff to send out to any, and all, interested parties. And even though I'm not hurting for blog content, $3 is a small price to pay for some different, i.e. contemporary, material. And it might even bring a few new people to the blog, though they'd probably be annoyed at how I'm going to cover this contemporary material, and then rage quit the blog :)

Now that I've typed your ear off, let's see what was in these packs... 

Pack #1:


And just as I thought, I have no idea who any of these kids are. There's probably someone out there yelling at the screen "HOW CAN YOU NOT WHO DREW F'N STECKENRIDER IS?!?!".  There is a rookie in the pack, and "collectors" are all about the rookies these days. Current wisdom says that I should send it in to be graded immediately and then take to the Twitter to brag about my subs(?). Conversely, current Jon wisdom says that it would make much more sense to just send it to Adam (provided he wants young Mr. Nuñez of course), and be done with it. 

The 2020 design has, I'm sure been dissected ad nauseam, so I'll just say that I don't particularly like it, and leave it at that. I'm not feeling the weird angles. 

In recent years, most DT packs usually have an exclusive yellow parallel in each pack, but these don't mention anything about that on the wrapper, and as you can see, clearly don't have any exclusive yellow (or any other color) parallels, they're just regular old 5-card packs.

Pack #2


Hey, I recognize two guys from this pack, Cain and Wong (wasn't that the name of the Rizzoli & Isles spin-off?), and have even seen them play!

Having not owned a lot of Topps in recent years, I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the minor league stats on the back of Victor Reyes' card. I thought that they had stopped doing minor league stats at some point, but maybe not. Looks like Victor's been around too, hopefully he's still in the bigs making the most of his opportunity, that small sampling there from 2019 certainly looked promising (this is where a normal blogger would look up his current stats and provide them for the reader, unfortunately for you, this particular blogger doesn't care enough to do so).

Pack #3


Aaaaand... we're back to five guys that I haven't heard of. I believe this is what you call a Rockies hot pack, in fact 20% of this 3-pack break was Rockies! Is Griffin Canning really a future star? Pitchers seem awfully soft these days, and not very durable. No offense to Griffin, but I don't think that it would be wise to invest in his future starness.

That was pretty exciting, huh? So would these be considered to be good packs? Or are these just the modern equivalent of "junk" wax? I'm leaning towards the latter. They were fun to open though, most things are, but I do have 15 cards here that are needing new homes. Some of these are will be sort of spoken for already, or at least certain people will get the option of first refusal (Adam - Rockies, Kerry - Cardinals, etc.), but they'll still be some leftovers. And I think that it's Tom who collects empty packs, or at least those with Angels on them, so at least one of the wrappers will be set aside for him (if he wants it).

Speaking of "junk" wax, as some bonus content, I stopped in at the printing/copy/card shop down in town yesterday, and left with less money, and a couple of boxes of cards that I really didn't need...

As I said on Twitter, at $6.50 apiece, I just couldn't walk away from them. Oh, and on the subject of Twitter, how is it that a tweet featuring these boxes ends up being the most popular thing that I've done on that site all year? Granted I rarely tweet anymore, not that I ever did a lot of it in the past anyway, but still, my blog post plugs get almost no attention (the ones that I actually remember to plug on there), yet everyone loses their collective minds over these crap boxes. Must be the appeal of the potential Elite's, but even then, I didn't realize that those had gotten so popular with the masses. I wonder if this is just another example of me not knowing what's going on with the current state of collecting?


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. Early 1990s is destined to make a comeback!!! Lots of interest in junk wax! Didn’t know the DT sold the 5-card Topps packs. Will have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the way grading and "investing" has risen in popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up being right. I suspect that the stores that do get them, don't have them for long. From what I've seen on Twitter, flippers usually come in and clean them out.

      Delete
  2. A few years ago I got a few Dollar Store packs and each pack had a 1984 Topps Gary Carter. That was fun.

    Good Job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they used to carry repacks, that seemed to be fairly popular with the collecting crowd, but I haven't seen any of those in years.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I thought as much. My pack mojo seems to have stayed in the 90's.

      Delete
  4. "How is it that a tweet featuring these boxes ends up being the most popular thing that I've done on that site all year?" ...

    Because every single person on Twitter is 40 years old, I'm convinced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a possibility. Although if true, there sure are a lot of whiny 40 year-olds out there, because that's all I ever see... endless amounts of complaining!

      Delete
  5. I am.impressed you found retail especially at DT in the wild. It wasnt the greatest break but must have been somewhat fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Saturday, prior to buying the boxes, I found myself perusing the card aisle at Walmart, which was about half-stocked at the time. I was really tempted by the A&G, but $20 for a box of 48 cards seemed like an awful lot. Heck, I couldn't even justify spending $10 for a 21-card rack pack. I just don't think they'll be enough keepers to warrant spending that kind of money.

      And yeah, these packs weren't so great, but they were fun to open, I'm just glad that I didn't buy all seven of the remaining packs.

      Delete
  6. Three hobby boxes for less than the price of a blaster equates to a solid purchase. Hope you cap things off with an Elite pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose, but I really should've just saved the money for an upcoming show (they're starting back up in October). I'm sure they'll be fun to open though, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the Donruss, if only because I haven't opened any packs of either in probably decades now.

      Delete
  7. I am jealous you found any sports cards at DT (I guess I'm a cool kid for saying it like that). I've given up on cards there, I just go blu ray movies anymore.

    As for the cards, the second pack is the only one I heard of any of the players but I believe I know all of them. I haven't big on sports this year so I don't know many of the younger guys either, but it would be fun to open some packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a cool kid. And I don't know, I'd rather have my nearest location carry Blu-Ray's than cards. What say we trade stores?

      I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one who didn't know who a lot of these youngsters were either.

      Delete
  8. I'm way late to the party here but thanks for thinking of me. I'm always up for some Rockies if they're still around, especially that Tapia for the Coors Field frankenset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're still around. I have a few other things for you too, so I'll try to get it all together and mailed out sometime in the next week or two.

      Delete