Saturday, March 23, 2019

U don't see that everyday

                                          
I don't know about anyone else, but it's not everyday that I come across someone who has an original (i.e. playing days) Johnny Unitas up for trade -- so when Greg, from The Collective Mind, mentioned semi-recently that he had acquired an extra '71 Topps Johnny U, and it was available for trade, well, I just had to act!

Since you're seeing, and hearing about, the card, obviously we were able to reach an agreement. Although I wouldn't describe the trade as a "trade", more like an exchange, as there was no formalness to it -- which I'm grateful to Greg for, because formal trades are not something that I particularly enjoy, too much stress!

I absolutely love this Unitas, especially that awkward smile of his... clearly not something that he did very often.

The 1971 Topps football set isn't one that I've paid a great a deal of attention to since my return to card collecting, I'm starting to think that this was an oversight on my part, as there seems to be quite a few photos worthy of my attention... like this Jack Snow! Awesome card (bad scan), I can see myself acquiring a few more copies of it at some point.

The package wasn't all vintage football, in fact most of it was...

... made up of...

... lots...

... and...

... lots...

... of 2005 Upper Deck Classics! I haven't seen this many of these at one time in quite a while. If you're familiar with Greg even in the slightest, you probably wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were all in order too, which certainly wasn't necessary, but it was a nice touch. Sorry for this crooked scan here, Jack Clark was flirting with some static electricity, I tried to keep those two kids apart, but after the third attempt failed I just let them be... hopefully they'll go on to live happily ever after!

Thank you again for the cards, Greg! And thanks for the easy "trade", your lack of formality was, and is, very much appreciated.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. So you're the one who got to it just before I did ;) Maybe I was being to formal, LOL. Congrats, it's a beauty. If you ever go after that set, I've got a bunch of doubles to get you started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I am. I appreciate the offer, but after I get done with the couple of 70's basketball sets that I'm close to completing, I probably won't take on any more vintage (or modern) sets for awhile.

      Delete
  2. Any vintage Unitas is a cool Unitas. And that staged action shot of Snow is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I really should try and work on acquiring a few more of his cards. I saw another fun shot from this set of Merlen Olsen at the last card show, but there price seemed a little high, but it too is now on my want list.

      Delete
  3. Most of my doubles (that I have any significant volume of) usually end up in order since I sort everything at once to make a set, so the extras come out that way too. Makes it much easier to find hits on people's lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people do sort their duplicates like that, but usually they still end up out of order by the time they reach me.

      Delete
  4. UD Classics! I've been slowly assimilating that one. Well, assembling anyway. ;) nice acquisition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos on those '71s, just gotta appreciate that alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely don't make 'em like they used to.

      Delete