Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Cups and cards

Back in January, early January to be exact, Andy, from Stadium Fantasium, ran a contest in conjunction with the Rose Bowl. And this wasn't just any contest, no, it was Andy's first blog contest... which is always cause for celebration!

The contest itself was one of those multi-tiered affairs, guess the halftime score, final score, etc., which meant that contestants could win multiple times. If memory serves I didn't fair too well, but since there wasn't a lot of entrants I apparently did enough to still win one of the prize packs. Even after a couple of months I still don't understand the lack of support that this contest received, I mean yes, it was a football contest, but the bulk of the prizes were of the baseball variety, so that should of appealed to the majority of the card bloggers? I'm in the mood to climb up on a soapbox here, but I won't, I will instead just say that hopefully a few more people will show up the next time Andy decides to have a contest.

Anyways, all the winners got a couple of commemorative cups, a game program, and their choice of two prizes (I think it was two for everyone?) from one of the more extensive prize lists that I can recall seeing.

Since I'm not one to pay too much attention to current happenings, I had no idea that commemorative cups were still being made for various events -- they seem like something most modern folks wouldn't care about anymore. But, I'm glad to find out that they are still being made, and apparently some of them, like this first cup, are being made with lenticular technology.

I tried to capture some of it's lenticularness on the backside, but that didn't work out too well. No matter though, because it amazing in person.

This second one is much more traditional, but still quite handsome. There was also Rose Bowl vase that was included, but I just couldn't get a decent picture of it, so it's here in spirit only.

It was nice to be able to add some new blood to my cup collection, and yes, I did just say that I have a collection of cups, of which probably 10-20 are still packed up, but the ones that I do have out and on display, can be seen (albeit with some bad glare) here...

... and here...

I don't know if American Gladiators would fall into the sports category or not, but if it doesn't, the cups from Andy then will be my only sport cups -- I'm pretty sure that I used to have a Fred McGriff Icee cup, but I don't know what happened to it.

Along with the cups, winners were also given some other paper ephemera, which came in the form of two different program-y type things.

This one is like a phone book, and it's got a breakdown of every single game from each of the two teams past season, which is kind of neat, but the real meat is towards the back of the book...

... History! Lots...

... and lots...

... of history! I can't imagine that too many people attending today's game would care too much about what happened 100 years ago, but I absolutely love it (much more interesting than the current games).

I mentioned at the top that winners got to pick out two prizes from a massive list of goodies, most of which was baseball related, but since baseball hasn't been doing too much for me as of late, I elected to go the football route instead. The above pack was listed as a 1993 Score cellophane pack, which, given the cellophane wrapper, I thought might be promotional pack of some sort, turns out...

... it's actually half of the 1993 Score Quarterback Club insert set. Andy had what was now obviously the second half of the set as well, but since I didn't know that that was what it was, I didn't end up selecting it. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to open it, on the one hand it's nice to have it contained like this, but on the other they would probably look better in a binder?

My second pick was a pack from a set that I had never heard of before, 1998 Collector's Edge 1st Place. As tempting as it's been, I still haven't opened up this one yet either, but I will, and the contents will be shown either here, or over on the APTBNL blog.

Thanks again for the contest, Andy! I really dig the cups, as well as the prizes that I was allowed to pick out. Now if you'd just add a few more things to your wantlist, maybe a certain someone (it's me) could send you a more tangible thank you of some sort :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Love the random Terry Dischinger card laying on table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love that not only did you notice the cards, but you also recognized who was on top.

      Delete
  2. Congrats Jon. People really win these things? LOL Lots of nice stuff there. All packs must be opened.... Even cellophane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "People really win these things", I can't quite place it, but that seems oddly familiar :)

      Delete
  3. I have been looking for a specific Commemorative Cup for years and years. I'm looking for a 1981 MSA Stop and Go Bill Virdon cup. I have only seen it once as part of a whole set that was like $300.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how that goes, I've been looking for a certain cup that was a giveaway at Universal Studios, and like you, I've only seen it once, on eBay - it seemed to me that the price was rather obscene, but apparently not to someone else, as it sold within a day of it's being listed.

      Delete
  4. Hey Jon, I'm really glad you liked the prizes. I think that's so cool that you collect cups. Those Rose Bowl cups were only available at the Rose Bowl game for fans who bought a beverage from the concession stands. The larger (lenticular) cup was for soda while the smaller cup was for beer. I forgot to mention that those cups are fresh from a leftover case and never used.

    And you're right about those 1993 Score football cards. After some quick research, those cards apparently were included with Ore'Ida frozen potato products back in the day. I still have the other pack here on my desk and it's yours if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate the info on the cups, it's nice to know which cup was for what, although I'm sure that most of the fans at the game would've preferred that the larger cup was for beer :)

      I hate to take anything else from you so soon after all of this stuff was sent, but I would be very much interested in that other pack.

      Delete
    2. It's yours Jon. I'd like to send you more goodies but I don't see a link to your wantlists.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I took the wantlists down a couple of months ago, which was done for two reasons - a) They were in desperate need of updating, and b) I was trying to discourage anyone from sending anything until I could catch up with all of the people that I currently owe a return package. Neither thing has been done yet. So I don't know if you want to hold on to the pack until the lists are updated, or what?

      Delete
  5. of course you collect cups! JAWS! That's the one I'd filch from you. Love the paperbacks too. Lucifer's Hammer? I was out in my shed yesterday looking for a free-loading raccoon. I took a radio out there and turned on local sports radio so it could enjoy the baseball scores. (Raccoons don't care for voices.) All that is to say, I saw the little yellow M&M guy and thought of you. He really should be on display inside the house. I just don't know where to put him. Maybe my bedroom....a great nightstand! yeah, that's a great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Jaws cup is right up there among my favorites. Someday I'd like to find one in better condition, but I don't know if I'd like to see the price on that or not. Those paperbacks are overflow, basically the stuff that doesn't fit on my three bookcases. If you like end of the world type scenarios, Lucifer's Hammer is a book that I would recommend, fair warning though, the story will stick with you long after you finished. And I'm still waiting to see a picture of that M&M... a cute raccoon pic would be most welcome too :)

      Delete