Thursday, April 25, 2019

COMC Shuffle #8

It's hard to believe that this week's Shuffle post marks two months of doing these already, time flies...

2018 Panini Classics Timeless Tributes blue #102
As far as modern cards go, this one is pretty darn close to perfection in my book.

2013 Panini Golden Age Playing Cards #8H
This set is taking far longer to complete than I would've imagined. At least I'm still enjoying it though, unlike a lot of other things.

2013 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #BL
The thought of abandoning my quest to complete the three years worth of Golden Age autographs has recently popped up. I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to it, but if I did, I'd probably keep a few, and sell the rest -- Fred MacMurray's adopted "son" wouldn't likely be one of the keepers.

1998-99 Topps Stadium Club Triumvirate - Luminous #T16a
It's still hard to believe that the Dallas Mavericks took Tractor in the first round of the 1998 draft, then promptly traded him to Milwaukee for a skinny German kid who would one day become a hall of famer (Dirk Nowitzki).

1962 Topps #99
I can't remember exactly when it was, but sometime early last year I bought a cheap port - in case anyone doesn't know, you can buy ports on COMC, which are either all, or just part of, someone's inventory - it wasn't very big, maybe 60 something cards for $28 (in credit). I ended up keeping a few cards, Boog's rookie being one of them, and then put the rest up for sale (which is the point of buying a port). I still have a few cards that haven't sold, but so far, I've made around $20 profit, which isn't too bad considering that it wasn't the greatest of ports (hence the price).

2012 Panini Black Friday Kings Progressions - Magenta #1
I don't have a most wanted list of any kind, but if I did, the black Progressions Jim Brown from this set would be #1 on that list, as it would complete my rainbow. I have much to say about this card, but I will be talking about it in a post that's currently halfway finished, so I'll just wait until then to do so.

1933 Goudey #68
Hod Lisenbee led an extremely interesting life, on and off the diamond. I give the SABR people crap sometimes, but this is an instance where praise is owed to them, as they have a wonderful article about Horace up on their site. If reading about a former major leaguer who didn't play baseball until he got to high school, at the age of 21 no less, sounds interesting, click on that link. If reading about a former pitcher who went 5-1 against the Yankees Murderer's Row during his rookie season (1927) sounds interesting, then click on that link. If reading about a former player who was still pitching into his 50's sounds interesting, well... you know what to do!

For you back addicts :)

1969-70 Topps #53
I keep going back and forth as to whether or not I still want to try and complete this set, I think I'm over halfway done with it, but my heart (and wallet) just isn't really into it anymore.

2014 Panini Prizm Red, White, and Blue Prizms #53
In case you can't tell, I'm kind of fond of this particular card! Although I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that Frank in the bottom left corner, he could be trouble.

1998-99 Skybox Thunder Lift Off #2LO
I bought a lot of Skybox Premium back in '98, but never bought any Thunder, there was only enough money for me to choose one, and I made my choice. In fact, until just a couple of years I had never even owned a card from the '98-99 Thunder set. Since moving to TN though, I have found a number of inserts in dime boxes, but one that I had yet to find (or even see for that matter), was any of the Lift Off's, so when I came across this Ray Allen a while back for just a little under $2, I had to have it. I can't overstate enough how great these look in person, and to me, they really do seem like something that should go for quite a bit more money.

The shuffler came up with a pretty good mix this week, certainly more variety than last week, which is always a good thing... at least for me (and hopefully for you as well).



Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

18 comments:

  1. I really like this bunch. The Dickerson looks fantastic (Classics!), Traylor is a Michigan guy, and the vintage stuff is super cool. I think I have that Boog as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a bunch of Tractor's then!

      Delete
  2. Ernie (Barry) looks just like me at the same age. I should get one of those just because of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like as good of a reason as any to buy a card! Although, now I'm a bit curious to see a photo of a young Greg for comparison's sake :)

      Delete
  3. That Dickerson is sweet. How'd you score that beauty? As "great" as Gilligan's Island was how sweet would it have to seen Bob as Maynard Krebs? You've worked so hard to grab a bunch of those Golden Age autos. Don't give it up. They're awesome. Maybe take a hiatus on acquiring more but,you should rethink this crazy thought. When you said you had bought a port, I thought the discussion was going to be about wine. That Goudey is a goody. Horace is a very interesting person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It showed up on the site, went on sale, and I bought it (not a terribly interesting story)! GI is one of the few golden era television shows that I never watched in syndication, so I hadn't heard of Bob Denver ever possibly being cast as someone else. You're probably right about taking a break from buying the auto's, although I kind of feel like I need a break from a lot of things. And me, and wine? That would be a bit of a stretch. I do like it, but I almost never drink it, and would have no clue as to what to look for when buying it.

      Delete
  4. Awesome group here with lots of variety

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thunder is one of those sets that gets almost zero hobby love- I think because there were no rookies in it at all. Series 2 was cancelled by the lockout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A set without rookies? Sounds like the perfect set :)

      Delete
  6. i need to cave and buy a set of the Playing Cards. I love 'em! As for giving up on those autos. I look forward to every one you add. You must complete these sets for me. On your dollar, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying an already completed set is the way to go! And no pressure on finishing the those autograph sets, right?

      Delete
  7. Great stuff. I opened a few boxes of 2013 Panini Golden Age... and loved those playing cards. Might end up trying to build that set one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And maybe one day we'll see the contents of these boxes that you keep mentioning :)

      Delete
    2. Post is written and scheduled for Cinco de Mayo... the day after the Kentucky Derby (my best pull was a horse related card). I would have scheduled it for the 4th... but I gotta reserve that for something Star Wars related.

      Delete
    3. Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  8. Love the Dickerson and the Lisenbee, Boog is a nice one, too. I dont think I've bought a COMC port before-but I sold one back when I was saving for a (half)case of Topps Heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying a port is kind of weird, and a little exciting, at least at first, waiting for stuff to start selling though, now that's a little less fun. Even though it's been slightly profitable, I don't know if I'd ever do it again.

      Delete