Monday, April 1, 2019

Bookstore Bonanza #4

It feels like it's been forever and a day since the last time I did bookstore post, and after doing a little bit of searching, I see that it actually has been quite a while, as the last post in the series was published on 3/22/18! Not much of a series I guess.

I have been to the Book Cellar a few times since then, even bought a few things, but apparently I didn't think that there was enough there to warrant a post(s).

The first couple of posts in this series were just an excuse for me to show more videos (and DVD's) here on the blog, especially since that's the main thing that I go for there, well, that and the CD's, which usually aren't very good by the way (too much country and religious music).

Even though it is a legitimate bookstore, I have way too many unread books as is, so I've been trying to avoid buying any more. I've also been trying to cull out some of the stuff that I don't think that I'm ever going to get to, i.e. the stuff that looked interesting when it was bought five or more years ago, and now no longer does. That being said, I bought a couple of books this time (among other things), I had no intention of doing so, but you know how that goes!


I can't stress enough just how much I wasn't trying to buy any books, but as I was heading to the back of the store, where the small selection of vinyl is, I passed the sci-fi section, this book was sitting right on the edge of the shelf... almost like it was waiting for me.

Some folks might turn up their nose at book like this (ESP, forbidden archeology, ghosts, scientific anomalies, strange coincidence's, UFO's, etc.), and granted, it's not exactly in my wheelhouse anymore, but damn if it doesn't take me back! You see, when I was a youngster, this was the type of book that I lived for. Old paperbacks like this used to be quite prevalent when I was a wee lad, back when Portland (and the surrounding areas) had an obscene amount of used bookstores (I miss those days). A book like this reminds me of summer, 100 degree days to be more specific, when it was too hot for me to go outside. I would often stay in on those days, cozy up to a fan (we never had AC), and just read all day. Oh, what I wouldn't give to go back. I hadn't thought of those days in quite some time, and all it took was a book, and one dollar, to bring back such memories... I think that this might be my best purchase this year so far :)


As I was walking back from the vinyl section (nothing of interest to me), I stopped at the hobbies section, it's not very big, but I have found some interesting things there before. Ever since I started drawing again a couple of years ago, I have been looking for other art mediums to try out, so far I'm not having the best of luck with this search. This one probably won't out either, but for $2 it was worth the gamble.

Oooh, ghost hand! And it's holding a ghost phone!!!!

I have all of these stories in book form, but I don't have any of them in audiobook form. Almost six hours of entertainment for a buck is a deal that's pretty hard to beat!


After having not been to the store for a couple of months, there was a very healthy selection of videos, problem was though, I already had most of the good stuff on VHS or DVD, so that narrowed down my options quite a bit. Still found two though, including Thinner, which I haven't seen since I rented it right after it came out on video -- seemed like it was overdue for another watching.


Not only have I never seen this movie, but I also have never encountered it in the wild before... that's a rarity for me and a movie.

I'm quite content with what I was able to get on this visit, I ended up with more variety than usual, hopefully it won't spoil me for the next time I go. And for those that care about such things, the two books, the two videos, and the 5-CD audiobook were gotten for a total of just over $5, good deal? I certainly think so.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. I've avoided books as well due to backlog that have gone unread at this time. Great pick ups. Book stores are always fun. I think I need to get back one soon...or after I get a few read. Good stuff and audio books may be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of us need to catch up on our reading, either that or just stop buying so many darn books!

      Delete
  2. You have never seen Earthquake? It's a stupid, fun watch with an all star cast. I remember going to Ford City with my mom to see it and it had SENSURROUND!!!

    https://youtu.be/r_yDJQPHacY

    It was loud as hell, and my mom kept worrying the ceiling was going to fall in on us.

    In Chicago. Not a lot of earthquakes recorded in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love hearing stories like this! Many thanks for sharing it :)

      P.S. Thanks for the link as well!

      Delete
  3. I've got a stack of unread books too. At this point, I avoid books like the plague unless they're signed by someone I want an autograph of or it's a book I know I'll actually read at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you read your autographed books?

      Delete
    2. I've never read the actual signed copies, but I have read unsigned versions of a few of the books... like The Giver (by Lois Lowry) and Wonder (by RJ Palacio). Some of the books, I purchased because they're an affordable way to add athletes' & actors signatures to my collection and I have zero interest in actually reading what they wrote. Example: Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, & Kevin Costner.

      Delete
    3. I appreciate the insight. I have a few signed books, but there just from the author's, and since they aren't "famous", I don't treat them as collectibles, so they get read and stored just like a normal non-signed book. Ronda Rousey has a book? Why???? For me, reading that would be like the proverbial watching of paint while it dries :)

      Delete
    4. Yeah... had no interest in reading her book. At the time of purchase, her autographs were selling for a ton of money and I was able to pick up her books for $19.99 each. That was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

      Delete
    5. With all of this wrestling stuff she's been doing, I would have to imagine that her signature is still selling well, so that book might end up being a pretty good investment.

      Delete
  4. "Even though it is a legitimate bookstore, I have way too many unread books as is, so I've been trying to avoid buying any more."

    From personal experience with buying/collecting/hoarding books, I can say that this is almost impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with you working in bookstores, this must be an even more difficult task.

      Delete
  5. what I tried to share yesterday - before google disowned me - was that as a 12 year old, I was fascinated with the Bermuda Triangle and UFOs. I miss those hot summer days in OK. Putting books in my bicycle basket, I took them everywhere with me. They were my best friends. I spent a lot of time in front of a window air conditioner too, listening to the hum while I turned page after page. Those are good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we had been 12 at the same time, I suspect that we would have gotten along smashingly! I used to take my books to school with me, and would then read particular sections/stories to my friends, more often than not though, they never really were interested in these subjects :(

      By the by, do you still have an interest in these kinds of things? Just curious :)

      Delete