Saturday, May 18, 2019

Card show groupings?

I am really starting to think that the contents of my haul from February's cards show were never meant to be blogged about... either that or I'm just really struggling all of sudden with card show recaps.

First there was the post from two weeks ago that I had great idea for, but just couldn't make work, and now I've got today's post, which I actually started just a couple of days after the show -- the only problem is, I'm coming back to a draft that's been sitting unopened for over two months, and now that I'm looking at it again, I have absolutely no idea where I was going with it!

I mean I do remember pulling out a bunch of stuff that could be grouped together (sets, player's, etc.), and I even sort of remember scanning them, but after that it's all a blur. Maybe I was going to try and tie them in with my seemingly never ending sorting project (aka the final sort) that I've slowly been doing now for almost six months? I say maybe, but I don't really think so, if only because like half of the stuff in here is grouped in a way that I'm not using to sort my cards.

I'd be curious to know if this has ever happened to any of my fellow blogger's? It certainly has never happened to me before. I do know that going forward, if I ever start a post and think that I might not be coming back to it for a while, I will be leaving some notes for future me to come back to.

So I guess there isn't much else to say other to reiterate once again that I don't know where I was going with this one, but at least there's bunch of fun stuff in here, and cheap fun stuff at that, as this was all from either 6/$1 boxes, or everyone's favorite, the dime boxes.

I like to think that I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to football happenings before I was born, and yet, somehow I never knew that O.J. played in San Francisco?

Along with all of his 6/$1 boxes (which almost all of the cards in this post came from), Jim, also had a two-row shoebox full of mini's. At a dime apiece, I probably should've spent more time looking through them, but I've already mentioned in a previous post how little I was feelin' this show, so I only ended up giving the box a quick thumb through.

If you've ever come around here before, it shouldn't be too much of mystery as to why I picked out most of these particular Kimball Champions. Even though I've abandoned most of my sets in progress, this is one that I would still like to see through. I have been going about it a bit lazily though, as it's been over two months and I still haven't checked to see how many of these guys I actually needed.

I already had all of these, but I am completely powerless when it comes to resisting HoloGrFX inserts and parallels. No matter how many of one particular card I have, I just can't walk away from them.

Everything that I just said about HoloGrFx, applies to Hoops Decade as well. I have such an affinity for both of these sets, which I think stems from the fact that these two sets were the last one's that I was buying/working on before I took my decade or so off from collecting cards.

I always feel like die-cut and/or textured cards should carry a premium, thankfully though, the folks in charge of deciding what things are "worth" don't always agree with that sentiment.

John Stockton... Boss? Most definitely! Ron Mercer... Boss? Um, not so much, well, maybe in college.
  
Ray Allen... Boss? Certainly! Damon Stoudamire... Boss? He had his moments.

I don't keep track of which of these Elway Prism's I have, I just grab them anytime I see them in the bargain boxes, which as it turns out, is fairly frequently.

I was never a fan of either of these guys, but I was a big fan of the Hot Numbers insert set, so...

I was a big fan of both of these guys though, well, all three of 'em if you count David Robinson.

Not a great show for finding Junior's, still though, two is better than none.

People like to give Panini the business for their nickname cards. Sometimes I think that some of those people have forgotten that we had nickname cards in the 90's as well, and it was just as lame of an idea back then as it is now, although they were at least better looking back then.

It's not very often that I come across Chipper inserts, definitely not the most exciting inserts ever, but I'll take them.

For someone who isn't a Jordan fan, I feel like I've been showing an awful lot of his cards as of late. The top card is a Broder, I enjoy the image on the Fleer, and the other card isn't even a real card, it's just an advertisement for Sports Cards magazine?

It's not often that I'm attracted to newer inserts, but I absolutely had to have the Rodman Essential Legends card, which I feel obligated to say looks a hundred times better in person.

I'm always amazed that there aren't more Tim Duncan collector's out there, I mean he's only one of the best player's to have played in the last 25 years, and an easy argument could be made for his inclusion on a top ten all-time list.

Try as I might, I don't seem to find a lot of Barry's in the bargain boxes, I suspect this is because his cards are always scooped up by the folks who get there before me, aka the diggers who live considerably closer to these shows than I do.

David's never really gotten much love from collector's, at least not after all the excitement over his Hoops rookie card died down.

I already own both of these KG's, but you know the drill, if there's one thing better than owning one copy, it's owning two.

I have now found six copies of this Shaq Teammates card at the last three shows that I've been to. I'm no legaloligist (and I don't play one on TV), but I believe that this means, at least according to the decision that was handed down in the landmark case of Roe v. Dwayne Wade, that I'm now required by law to find three more in order to complete a full page's worth :)

I only have two more posts of card show stuff to get to, which is good news, considering my recent struggles. I had planned on going to the show in a few weeks, but after my big purchase a couple of days ago (it arrived yesterday!!!!), that is no longer going to be doable, which in a way is good news as well, because I at least now won't have to be getting up at 3am on a Saturday morning for a little bit longer. I will loosely plan on trying to go to the show at the end of June, that too is good news, as it means that I now have over five weeks to finish those last two posts. Plus, those two will just be a bunch of random crap, so I don't even have to try and come with a theme... happy day!

Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Loved pulling those “Kid Glove” cards back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't collecting baseball at the time, so I never pulled any of my own :(

      Delete
  2. i look forward to your random crap - and the big card reveal. The Kimballs have to be among my fave minis! I've been stashing these away for a set build. Guess I should make a list of what's needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a fun set. I probably need to double check my want list as well, nothing's been updated in a while.

      Delete
  3. Those are some psychedelic looking basketball cards! Nice random haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is way too much in here for me to comment on. Too many 90's I want lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was heavy on the 90's, I guess that's what happens when I primarily only grab 90's stuff from the bargain boxes.

      Delete
  5. Kimball Champions rule. Great looking insert set. I remember picking up complete sets of all three series on eBay back in the day. The goal was to put them in a binder, but I never got around to it. Speaking of getting around to to things... I've had the same struggles before as you. Except instead of card shows... it's flea markets. A while back, I deleted three or four flea market finds drafts (some from 3 years ago)... mainly because I didn't remember what I paid and stuff was a little outdated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wanna know what was in those flea market drafts!!!!! The stuff had to be better than a bunch of cheap junk from a card show!

      Delete
    2. Lol. Nothing too amazing. There was a few bobbleheads (from back when I went looking for them), some DVD's, and some football relics. That's what I remember off the top of my head.

      Delete
    3. Okay, maybe you were right :)

      Although I'm always down for seeing DVD's on the blogs.

      Delete
  6. That was the case of Preacher Roe vs. Dwayne Wade, right? They deliberated for days about the merits of vintage vs. new and shiny. I think they settled out of court...

    I'm not much for hoops, but some of those are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete