Friday, May 3, 2019

COMC Shuffle #9

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard:

2013 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #CEY
Half-man, half-Penguin... all Dodger!

1971 Topps #308
In last week's Shuffle I mentioned that I kept a few cards from the small port that I bought last year, this Cards card happens to be another one of those keepers. I was still thinking that I was going to be working on the '71 set at the time, so I held it out -- fast forward to now, and I'm no longer planning on working on the set, but technically speaking it still counts as a Bob Gibson card, so that's reason enough to still keep it.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Yellow and Red Mosaic Prizms #190
I asked folks on the Twitter last week if they thought that T-Mac had done enough to warrant his spot in the HOF. The consensus - and by "consensus", I mean the two people that actually replied [note to self: don't ask a basketball related question during the NFL draft] - was that he hadn't, and I happen to be of the same sentiment. I enjoyed watching him play, but nothing about his career numbers screams HOF.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Target Red Prizms #102
A few years have passed now, but I'm still slightly annoyed at the Blazers for trading Thomas Robinson and Will Barton to the Nuggets for Aaron Afflalo. Both T-Rob and the People's Champ were fairly reliable producers off the bench, and both brought a ton of energy with them every time they entered a game. Aaron Afflalo on the other hand, ended up bringing absolutely no energy, and pretty much did nothing during his 20 or so games in Portland. Thomas Robinson also had a couple of decent starts in place of an injured LaMarcus Aldridge, and seeing as how that was LaMarcus' last season in Portland, it would've been kind of interesting to see what Thomas could've done the next season with more playing time. In case you can't tell, I was kind of a fan of his! And just for sh*ts and giggles, here's my favorite T-Rob moment (which also happens to feature Will Barton):

2014 Topps Pro Debut Hat Patch Logo #MH-SM
Don't be surprised if this is the year that Seth finally gets called up to bigs, well, at least if he can keep doing what he's been doing through his first 19 games with El Paso this season: .350 BA, 28 hits, and 10 RBI's.

1941 Goudey #15
Before January of last year I had never heard of Dario Lodigiani, nor was I aware that there was Goudey baseball set from 1941. A bunch of these had been added to the site, most being fairly expensive, Dario here was the cheapest listing (probably because of the poor-to fair condition), and wanting just one example, I went ahead and made an offer that was quickly accepted. I'm glad that I saw them when I did, because by the next day all of the cards had been sold. My card is a little rough around the edges, the white spots are where someone had written some stats in pencil, which was later erased, causing the white spots, but there's no creasing, and the card hasn't been trimmed, so overall I was fairly happy about the purchase.

The Sports Collectors Digest has a nice article about the set if anyone's interested. And surprise, surprise, the SABR folks have a fairly decent Piece up on Dario -- that's now two weeks in a row of offering them praise, I believe that's a new record for me!

2013-14 Panini Prizm Retail Green Prizms #228
THIS is why I don't normally scan Prizm basketball cards!

1976 Hostess #64
Like a lot of sets that I've been working on for the last couple of years, I'm now on the fence as to whether or not I still want to try and finish off my '76 Hostess build. I think I'm a little over halfway done, but the thrill of the hunt seems to be gone. Hmm? Sounds like I'm not really on the fence after all.

2015 Topps High Tek Gold Rainbow Diffractor #34
I really do dig the 2015 Topps Tek, but like with a lot of other modern sets, I'm really only interested in the retired players portion of the checklist. Some of the cards look a lot better depending on the player/pattern combination, and I am of the opinion that the gold Ronnie Lott is one of the better looking cards in the set, easily ranking in the top five.

2012 Panini Black Friday Progressions - Magenta #30
I probably won't be trying to complete this rainbow, as I have no vested interest in Michael Floyd, I just couldn't pass up a /5 card for 75 cents. He'll just be one of my misc. Progressions. Oh, and all that gunk on the scan is from the allegedly new penny sleeve from COMC that I scanned it in (these mirrored back cards seem to scan better in sleeves, at least for me).

So, that's it for this week, but I'll have another exciting round of Shuffled cards next week, and hopefully for quite a few more weeks after that.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. Nice snag with the 41 Goudey. Each player in set had cards in four colors. Red,Green,Yellow and Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying these posts. The Sam Perkins prizms look like Mountain Dew. Like the Lott and Fisk, too.

    I only caught the beginning of T-Mac's career so I don't feel qualified to judge his career as HOF worthy or not. That said, it does seem that the basketball HOF has a lower bar than other halls of fame (though the hockey hall surely has its share of questionable inductees)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like doing them, even if I don't always have something interesting to say about every card. And Sam does sort of look Mountain Dewy :)

      I'm not familiar with the hockey HOF in the least, so I can't really comment on that, but the basketball HOF does seem to be fairly easy to get in to, just ask Yao Ming, or as Trevor brought up below, Vlade Divac. Apparently anybody who's ever played is now eligible!

      Delete
  3. I think McGrady was a sneaky good candidate. If you just take a 10-year prime look, from 2000-2009, he was certainly dominant. He's at least better than Vlade Divac, who will never get in, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vlade, in the HOF, ugh! That's just embarrassing. T-Mac did have some pretty good years, but so have a lot of other guys, and lot of those other guys have rings, Tracy doesn't. And to my knowledge, he doesn't lead any all-time categories, so that doesn't help his case either. I'm not really bothered that he made it in, I just don't know why he made it in so soon after his retirement?

      Delete
  4. That Carlton Fisk Hostess card is especially nice. I have one myself. Nice card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I do end up getting rid of a lot of the other cards from the set build, Fisk will remain a keeper.

      Delete
  5. That Fisk is awesome! I love seeing the old Oakland Coliseum in the background... before Mount Davis was built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty neat that you were able to recognize where the photo was taken, I am absolutely terrible at that sort of thing.

      Delete
    2. Outside of Candlestick, AT&T, Oakland Coliseum, and Dodger Stadium... I'm terrible at it too.

      Delete
  6. Dario Goudey! Any card from this set is worth having. It presents well! With each COMC post, I can't help but hear "The Curly Shuffle". Great post series, Jon. You need a theme song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiHysKnvGs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I need a theme? Haven't heard that song for a while now. You've also given me an idea for a future blog post, so thank you for that... and the theme :)

      Delete
    2. you're soitenly welcome ;) looking forward to it!

      Delete
  7. Affalo was a disappointment in Portland which is a shame. He had some decent years. Really like that Ron Cey card. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did have a couple of years, but he did exactly two things while with the Blazers, jack, and sh*t!

      Delete