Thursday, May 23, 2019

COMC Shuffle #12

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

2011 Topps Platinum Diamond Anniversary #20.2
Canceling a game just because of a little rain? Weak! Modern player's no nothing of hardships, I mean just look at what kind of conditions that Honus and his brethren were playing in -- the diamonds are coming down so hard it's a miracle that the photographer was even able to get this shot. And how do you think sliding in that kind of weather felt? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it probably didn't feel too great, but were they going to do, not play? Pfft!

1933 Goudey #206
Found this on Gus' Wikipedia page:

"Prior to playing in the majors, Suhr played for the San Francisco Seals. In 1929, he hit .381 with 51 home runs and 177 RBI for his team. During that season, he became the only player in baseball history to be sued (in addition to his team) by a fan injured after being struck by a foul ball he hit. The case was dismissed under the legal Baseball Rule, a verdict upheld by the California Supreme Court three years later."

Look at those numbers! And that's at a time when the PCL's play was almost on par with those of the major league's, heck, according to many west coaster's of the time, it's level of play was better than what the "big boys" had to offer.


1998 Topps Stadium Club Leading Legends
I found one of these in a dime box just a few days after getting this one, not that I mind owning two of course, I just thought it was interesting to find one in the wild right after finding out that these cards were even a thing. As far as acetate cards go, these are definitely one of the more interesting one's that I've seen, they look like someone actually took the time to paint gold leaf on to each individual card.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Blue Mojo Prizms #144
One of my favorite Blazers of all-time!

2012 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #BP
One of my favorite's from the 2012 set, probably in the top five.

1998-99 Upper Deck Ionix Area 23 #A2
I'm not working on this insert set, but it seems like during every Black Friday sale, there's one cheap copy from this set to be had, and for the last four years, I seem to be the one who always get's that one cheap copy.

1965 Topps #528
Another one for the "Telstar Four" collection. I've heard that George is very generous with his signature, but with the price of postage now, it's really difficult for me to get up the want to send out any more TTM requests.
 
1975-76 Topps #232
Example #896 of why I don't normally scan vintage cards. I really miss the days of hearing Snapper and Bill Walton playfully go back and forth at each other during the NBC games. And I really (really) miss hearing Snapper doing the color work on the Blazers broadcasts.

2013 Panini Black Friday Panini Collection Progressions - Cyan #8
Yep, I willingly bought an Anthony Bennett card... first person to do so in nearly five years!

2001-02 Topps Chrome Black Refractor #109
I love the '01 black refractors so darn much! Being numbered to /50, they aren't always easy, or cheap, to come by (well, there is someone selling a large collection of them on eBay right now, but that's an anomaly). DA was on sale for less than five bucks, so it was virtually impossible for me not to grab him.

For the first time in over two months, I took five days off from posting, it was a nice break, so nice that I might be taking a few more similar breaks in the very near future. The weather has been crazy nice, and there are a few things that I want to do this summer, things that have been put on the back burner because of this blog -- I just don't have enough time to do everything! Either that, or I'll just try to shorten some of the posts, as I do tend to be on the rambly side, and those do take a fair amount of time to put together. Even if I do cut back for a couple of months, I will at least continue to do these Shuffle posts, if only because they seem to be the easiest to "write" right now. But I don't know, I'm just sort of thinking out loud, certainly nothing's set in stone yet.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

18 comments:

  1. And the legend of Honus Wagner's toughness grows. Nice Boog autograph, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he needs any help, but it's good to refresh everyone's memory every once in a while.

      Delete
  2. My great-grandfather played in the PCL of those days. He later was hired to "work" in one of the local mines near my hometown, but he was really just a ringer for the company's baseball team. At least that's how the family story goes. Unfortunately, that kind of talent didn't make it through the generations to me.

    If you picked a second copy of that Barry Sanders, I'd gladly trade for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that! That story, padded out with a bit more story, would make for an excellent blog post.

      I appreciate the trade offer, seriously, but collecting multiples of cards seems to be of great interest to me as of late, and this is one that I really enjoy having two of.

      Delete
  3. I love all the vintage Pirates players you've been showing. I actually chuckled aloud at the Bennet comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even noticed all of the Pirates until you mentioned it. This happens with Red Sox too sometimes, especially when it comes to vintage.

      Delete
  4. I'll take a little bit of that nice weather if you don't mind! The Boog is my favorite from this lot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got sort of a mini-heatwave going on right now, so I think there's plenty of nice weather to go around :)

      Delete
  5. That Jordan insert is a great looking card. Gotta love shiny inserts from the 90's. Love the Boog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like shiny 90's inserts are growing in popularity by the day. I think a lot of folks are getting tired of all of the current sameness that Panini and Topps are flooding the market with, so they're reverting back to what they enjoyed collecting as kids and teens, i.e. shiny inserts from the 90's!

      Delete
  6. No COMC post is complete without a Diamond Anniversary card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to make it into a lot of the COMC recaps around the blogs.

      Delete
  7. that's a Honus beauty! I believe the reason I'm drawn to his era of the ole game has to do with how hard these fellows played. Goudey Gus is another fine addition to your vintage stash! Enjoy your summer! Most of us understand the time factor. For me, there are 2.5 acres to mow twice a week right now. Summers here are much too short to be spent indoors. Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they certainly were tougher back then, of course people in general were considerably tougher back then. Twice a week? That's some fast growing grass! It's only necessary to mow here every 7-10 days, roughly, unless it start's raining, then the grass will start growing a little quicker. Summers everywhere are too short to spend indoors, hopefully you'll have a nice summer as well! :)

      Delete
  8. It's hard for me to pick a favorite from this group. The '65 Topps Altman card is classic looking, and the Boog Powell auto is unique. However, I'd go with the Honus Wagner card. I love those 2011 Topps parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they didn't like the 2011 parallels. The Platinum Diamond's are especially nice, and it helps that Topps hasn't used that design a million times since.

      Delete
  9. Love those Leading Legends inserts.

    ReplyDelete