Monday, May 6, 2019

Card show multiverse

Blogging isn't always as easy as some folks like to think it is. Or maybe it is, but just not for me. Either way, today's post is a perfect example of one of those times where you have a great idea, but for whatever reason can't seem to bring the idea fruition (this happens to other bloggers, right?).

The plan was to tie-in my love of all things pertaining to alternate realities, or parallel universe's, with the various parallels that I picked up at the card show back in February. The problem is, no matter how many times I try, it's just not working. I could blame it on being tired, or the recent problem with some unusually achy muscles in my back (not as fun as it sounds), but in all honesty, it was probably just too lofty of an idea for someone like me to pull off, such things should probably be left to real writers.

So, even though it ended up being one of those "here's a bunch of crap that I got at a card show" kind of posts, just know that originally it was supposed to be so much more than what it ultimately turned out to be.

It's hard to believe that this was my first ever Pinnacle Museum Collection (from any year), not a bad first card to get though. This is one of those times where I can't help but wonder what a young fan, or just some random person in general, one who had never heard of Ozzie Smith (and his backflips), would be thinking when they saw the image on this particular card?

This is probably a good time to mention too, that everything in today's post came from a group of 6/$1 boxes. Not quite as good as a dime box, but for what I ended up getting, I'm not really going to complain over paying an extra nickel per card.

I read somewhere recently that the First Day Issue's (on the basketball side) from '97-99 are starting, as far as collectability goes, to pick up momentum. I have no idea if that's actually true or not, but if it is, I have to wonder why collector's would only be focusing on that particular time period? To my knowledge, the earlier FDI's are just as limited, and of course the earlier Stadium Club's featured just as a good of photography as the later sets. Either way, I think I found a decent pair here, not a good look for Ron Harper though, probably should of went for the block instead. On a somewhat related note, someday I really need to tell of my two encounters with Jerome Kersey, there probably not crazy interesting to anyone other than me, but it would make for different type of blog post.

Gold has probably been the most common color for parallels, at least for as long as there's been parallels that is.

Is teal the new gold? If it isn't so already...

... it may very well be at some point in the future, at least if Panini has anything to say about it.

Refractors have been one of the more popular parallels over the years (even though they don't look it in this scan, these are indeed refractors). I got the Golden Sparkle version of the Tim Hudson HR card at the previous show that I went to, so it was kind of neat to find the regular refractor at this one. Also, I now own all of one card of future hall of famer Julius Peppers!

What would a post about parallels on this blog be without any Prizm? Finding these sorts of things for 15 cents always makes me happy, especially the 2012 red die-cut of the recently retired J-Stew (didn't even know that there were red die-cuts).

Picked up a few random 2018 Topps Chrome parallels just because. I got the sepia refractor version of the OY card at the previous show, so I felt obligated to grab the "double negative polaroid refractor thingy" version as well.

I already had a copy of each these guys, so collector's beware, now there's only 748 copies left of two guys that no one cares about out there.

This Smoltz Diamond Aces is one of those very subtle parallels. All Pacific did was silver up the A and the diamonds a little, then slap a serial number on it and tadah! You've got yourself a parallel!

Groovy!

I sure do love me some 2018 Classics, but the 2017 edition, not so much. I only grabbed this one because it was Joe Namath, well, that and I figured the yellow border signified some sort of parallel -- looks like I was right, it's a glossy parallel? Glossy front? That's the parallel? Lame! It's a still Broadway Joe though, so I can live with it.

There's probably a political joke here about "reds" in New York, but it's not coming to me at the moment.

Panini sure seems to like Tim Brown, not that I'm complaining mind you, I just find it kind of interesting that's he's in pretty much all of their sets that feature past greats. The Pioneers insert is one of those one's where there's like six different parallels, I've already got the one that's numbered to /25, and this one is numbered to /200 -- while the green High Flyers is to /199.

I'm thinking that I might try go to the show at the end of May, so I should probably try and crank out the other four posts worth of cards from February's show before then... four more posts in a little less than a month? I think I can handle that...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

24 comments:

  1. Love that Ozzie! '95 Pinnacle is GOAT. Lots of other great stuff here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great card. Definitely wouldn't mind finding a few more of those MC's on the cheap.

      Delete
  2. Bring on the disco ball! There's a lot of groovy going on here! The Fried x-fractor scanned quite well! All yo' fractors shined up nicely for this post! 94 Museums are still my faves. I pick 'em up cheap when I can. It would be a nice set to build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did scan well, and from what I hear, he's having a pretty good season thus far, so I might've gotten a decent deal on that card. The MC's would be a fun set to build, but I'm pretty much done with sets at this point, especially parallel sets.

      Delete
  3. So many cool cards. Ozzie, Hudson batting, Smoltzy and Namath all stand out. That Hudson card is a classic really. Joe makes any card look good. Good post and good on ya for trying for make it more than just the average post...I won't try that one...way too much thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody seems to really like that Hudson card, not hard to understand why of course. I have been a posting a lot lately, and I think that might've affected the outcome on this one a bit. I think I might be trying to do too much with not nearly enough time to properly do it in.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the 6 inserts for $1 deal.
    I'm with you on the 6 inserts for $1 deal.


    How's that for a parallel comment? Sorry 'bout that...(shuffles off to the parallel doghouse)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how many times I've had ideas for blog posts and then, for whatever reason, just couldn't get any words down on the page. Sometimes when that happens I just start writing about the cards themselves and then edit later on to tie up the theme of the post (that is, assuming I have one to begin with). Like essays in high school, intros and conclusions are often the hardest (or dullest) to write for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that a lot too, especially when it comes to the intros. The idea for this one though, was to tie-in every group to the theme (continuing narrative?), but as mentioned, it was just too ambitious for me. Had I waited another month or two it might've come to me, but I didn't feel like waiting any longer, so everyone ended up with this instead.

      Delete
  6. A. There are times when I struggle to write... but sometimes things just flow. I think it depends on my mood, material, and whether or not I have an idea for a post. It also varies depending on what else I have on my plate outside of this hobby.

    B. Stadium Club 1st Day Issues and Pinnacle Museum Collection parallels will never be considered "crap" to this collector.

    C. Congratulations on this awesome card show haul... and you've still got four more posts worth? That's impressive. Can't wait to see the rest of your pickups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. I haven't been struggling too much as of late, but this one just would not come together, and telling people that makes me feel slightly better about it.

      B. Okay, maybe not crap, how about... junk?

      C. After looking at my scan folders, I think I might be able to cover everything in three more posts if I condense the random baseball and football into one.

      Delete
  7. I'm a sucker for Museum Collection. I think I went home with 7 of the same Dmitri Young card all Pinnacle Museum Collection because I can't let them rot in a dimebox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya', I would've bought all of them too.

      Delete
  8. I am entranced by Peter Bergeron. He has me under his spell.

    I love card shows, but the Los Angeles metro area (10+ million people) does not have a single card show. It's ridiculous. I have thought about running one myself, but have neither the time nor the energy to put that together now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Pacific parallels don't show up in the cheap boxes very often. If it's something that you like, you're more than welcome to it? I could add it to the half finished package of stuff for you that I'm months behind on.

      Yeah, all those people, and all of those professional teams, one would think that you would have shows all over the place there. On the flipside, Nashville has two professional teams, yet has two monthly shows, and then twice a year puts on one of the largest shows in the country... go figure!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the offer. No need to send him, but I do enjoy looking at it!

      You are in card show heaven! Enjoy! 😎

      Delete
  9. Wow, some nice variety there! Nice haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and there's still plenty more to come.

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean, I've had blogging ideas that I couldnt put into words the way I wanted.

    These are some very nice parallels. I like the peppers and Goldschmidt in particular, even though the Ozzie and others are probably more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that it happens to most bloggers, but I don't know if anyone else has as much trouble with it as I do -- or at least, have as much trouble getting around it as I do.

      I'd say that both of those cards are interesting, especially in person, the Peppers in particular, as the scan took away all of it's refractoriness.

      Delete
  11. This post had me thinking about Futurama, so it was neat to see a Farnsworth make an appearance. And the Ozzie at the top had me thinking about the Simpsons episode where he got stuck in the Mystery Spot. I guess I've just got Matt Groening shows on my mind. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly are worse things that you could have on your mind than Matt Groening shows :)

      Delete